“Terrible” 1 of 5 bubbles

Pulai Springs Resort
Ranked #12 of 107 Hotels in Johor Bahru
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I never come back to this hotel again....very bad service in cinta terrace and room so dirty dan smelly......
Very dissapoint.....
For the deluxe room is very far from hotel standard.
Manager in cinta terrace very unfriendly in august 11th, bad service.

Room Tip: Control the management....and service...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Yames B
PulaiSpringsResortJB, General Manager at Pulai Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I sincerely apologize that we did not live up to the usual excellent standards that the majority of reviewers at Tripadvisor talk about. I have made sure to share all of your feedback with our team.

I would also like to apologize on behalf of the manager at Cinta Terrace during breakfast. Please be advised that necessary actions will be taken to ensure that this incident would be be repeated.

We hope this will not deter you from supporting us again and we look forward to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Tengku Ahmad Faizal Tengku Mohamed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I went over the Hari Raya Puasa & National Day holidays with about 20 others for a retreat. Although there was a hotel representative assigned our group, I only saw him once while checking in for the group. For my other retreats with other hotels, the hotel’s representative will come by at least once a day to say hi & make sure everything is going smoothly. Thank goodness nothing major happened.

The hotel helped arrange a bus to take us from Singapore direct to the resort. It was about S$860 for 2-way transport in a 40 seater bus. With the human jam at the Malaysian customs, we took about 3 hours to get to the resort. But I knew of other participants who drove up in the night taking just a little more than an hour.

The Cengal meeting room was a little musty initially. But the smell wore off when we returned to the room after about 45min. The room was little dated but good enough for us.
We had the 2 bedroom suite rooms. The room was spacious. There was a “master” bedroom with an adjoining walk-in wardrobe & bathroom. That room had a double bed. The other room had 2 twin beds, an adjoining bathroom & a separate walk-in wardrobe. The rooms are separated by the living/dining area. The room sleeps 4 people comfortably with an option to get another spare bed if necessary. However, the cleanliness of the room was a little disappointing to my roommate & I. We both found the floor dusty. I saw dust balls forming at the corner of the wardrobe. There were also sanitary fittings needing repair.

Food was so-so. The safest bet for breakfast was probably the egg station however that queue was usually long. The buffet lunch & dinner was served at the Gleneagles. I would suggest taking a bit of the food to try before deciding on what was the best & go back to get more. I enjoyed the salad station as they had a selection of Western & Asian salads, like Gado-Gado, to choose from.

The spa is poorly managed & closes at 8pm which is very early unlike most resorts that I have been to whose spa usually close about 10pm. My friends & I had encountered problems trying to book a spa treatment. Firstly nobody is there to man the phone line. When you get there, there is nobody at the counter to help you with your booking or inquiries. I waited for almost half an hour for someone to show up the counter. When the person “in-charged” showed up, she ignored me & was about the walk away. I had to walk up to her to get her to serve me.

On the day of the spa appointment, I realised that I was going to be a little late. I tried calling up 2 times to inform them. But no one picked up. The massage itself was good. Because I was running late, I didn’t have time to go back to the room to get my wallet. When I tried to explain that I would have to return to pay in 10minutes, the lady “in-charge” told her other client who was waiting for her to go in for her own massage that she would have to wait 10 minutes for me to come back to make payment before she can do the massage for her.

I was appalled that I had to keep someone waiting & told the lady that I was paying in cash. I am sure her staff is capable of receiving the cash payment. Her response was that no one would be around (as I have come to realise by now) & that only she can do the payment. By then I was really frustrated. How can a spa run with no one manning the front desk & when you do find someone who is in-charge, she is too busy to tend to you as she has scheduled herself to do other things.

Another example of how poorly run this spa is, was that when I rushed back with the cash, the poor client who was held up by my payment was still there waiting, while another bunch of ladies were deciding on which treatment to make an appointment for. The lady asked them to make a decision as her client (the poor lady) is waiting to go for her treatment. So now this poor woman had to wait for this bunch of women to make a decision so that the person doing her massage can be freed up. It was ridiculous. I strongly advise against attempting to do business with this spa unless they step up their game.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amanduhl
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I do apologize that we did not live up to the usual excellent standards that the majority of reviewers at Tripadvisor talk about. I have made sure to share all of your feedback with our team.

The experiences you described are not characteristics of the level of service of colleagues strive to provide, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. While I am delighted to know that the massage treatment you have received at The Pulai Spa was good, I do apologize on the fact that we were short of manpower during your stay with us at the spa.

The Spa Manager who was on duty also extends her apology for the inconveniences caused. Nevertheless, I am pleased to inform you that we are now aggressively recruiting more team for the spa. The new team members will be joining us this month.

I do hope this will not deter you from supporting us again and I look forward to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

The resort is a little past its prime. We were travelling as a family of 4 and stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment, this was great, plenty of room. They need to improve the finishing touches and tidy up the old unused facilities. The staff we happy to assist with every request and the restaurants in the resort were really accommodating. It was a good value resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Graham R
PulaiSpringsResortJB, General Manager at Pulai Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending some time to give us a positive and kind feedback on your recent stay with us.

It’s pleasing that you remarked the spacious family rooms you stayed in and noticed our friendly and helpful staff during your stay. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees.

I would also like to take this opportunity to share with you that we always strive to do our best in delivering exceptional services to all our guests. It has always been our main aim to offer our guests an entirely satisfactory service at the Pulai Springs Resort.

We are also happy that you appreciated our restaurants. It is always our aim to offer our guests rich and outstanding meals at all times and make our guests feel at home.

I would like share some good news with you too. We are now in the midst of a refurbishment project especially on on guest rooms at Cinta Ayu. The newly refurbished rooms with fresh vibrant colours and tones are expected to be completed by September.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family here again during your next stays in Johor Bahru and also to experience our new rooms.

Warm Regards,

Tengku Ahmad Faizal
Puchong, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The pictures in the website probably was taken when it was first refurbished.
NONE of the water features were working. It was either stagnant with water or just plain empty! The hotel boasts of having numerous restaurants...but when we went, we were told that because it was the month of Ramadan, only 2 restaurants were opened. How can you even come up with that kind of excuse? The Buka puasa was packed so we were told to go to the Golf Terrace to have ala carte. Mind you...almost everything we asked for was not available. For example, a simple drink like milo for my son. The menu given was so limited. And we had to wait for at least 15 mins for the food as the food was coming from the restaurant which was preparing the buka puasa buffet.
We stayed in a one bedroom suite. The first one we checked in to..had a terrible musky smell. So we were given another. The musky smell was tolerable but not invisible altogether. We had to ask for handtowel and a bath mat. One of the bathroom lights didn't work and our bathroom door could not be locked. The kitchen floor felt a lil sticky. Oh..for those who need tea, bring your own teabags. They only provide coffee three in one. They can't even provide you with sugar. Their excuse it that they are out of sugar! Imagine a resort like this running out of sugar??!!!
The have lovely pools but the bigger one with slide had murky water. The cleaner one which is at the coffee house, closes at 7pm....
Buffet breakfast choice was quite limited but sufficient and tasty enough.
The sports centre boasts of activities for kids....but they close at 7pm.
It was only because we were with good company aka family get together that we were able to have a nice holiday without paying much attention to what was lacking.
Seriously....this resort needs a lot of bucking up. You have a golf course...and a huge piece of land surrounding your resort....a lot can be done to really push this to a lovely 5 star resort. It is so sad to see all the water features especially to be dry like the desert!

Room Tip: One bedroom suites have no view....you are either looking out to the parking or a wall. Three bedro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ACPW
Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Shanghai, Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The staff here were wonderful (Except one member) bending over backwards to meet every need and request. We were picked up from Singapore and all was seamless and stress free. The room was not quite ready but we were offered drinks and a tour.
We were on a Lego land tour (x2) and transport was provided.
The hotel is let down by a management that are not maintaining the hotel or its facilities. So many of the advertised extras were broken or unavailable. Our shower leaked, our TV cable stations failed, the poolside is grubby and the furniture is old and some broken. The hotel and facilities is in need of an overhaul. We ended up with 9 key cards as they kept failing and as you need it even to access the lifts - this became annoying - and in the end a family joke. The breakfast is basic for a western palette - maybe one more egg chef needed?
We had a 2 bedroom apartment and was very big. But only kettle and fridge provided. A small snack shop downstairs. No shops or outside restaurants near by - but taxis available.
The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful - except one member of the front desk - a larger woman (sorry she was the only one without a name badge) who was just rude - and treated me as if I was stupid - even though it was her that failed to understand I had 2 back to back bookings. I avoided her after my first encounter with her - not a happy service person!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hktans
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback and I apologize that we did not live up to the usual excellent standards that the majority of reviewers on TripAdvisor talk about. I have made sure to share all of your feedback with our team.

The experiences you described are not characteristics of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide and we apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory.

I would like to also apologize on behalf of the staff at the Front Desk who made you feel uncomfortable. From our reports, we have managed to identify the associate who was on duty and necessary actions have been taken.

Let me also take the opportunity to share with you that we are aware of the furniture which needs major maintenance in our guest rooms. Therefore, I am truly happy to tell you that we are now in the midst of a refurbishment project to further enhance our guest rooms especially. We are giving the rooms a fresh new look and the project is scheduled to be completed by end of September.

We hope you will return to experience the many enhancements we have made by September.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

If you come to the resort with the attitude that it's a 4 star and a bit tired you will really enjoy it - especially if you have kids. We had a two bedroom room and it was set up as an apartment with cooking facilties, fridge etc and it was part of a Legoland package. Two separate pools with slide. Great place for the value. The only negative is that it's some distance to Legoland but it appears all decent hotels are. Unfortunately my wife found out there were premium outlet stores nearby:)

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PulaiSpringsResortJB, General Manager at Pulai Springs Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property. Your comments are very much valued and we really appreciate your feedback.

We are very happy to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us with your family. I am happy that you were satisfied with our 2-bedroom apartment you stayed in with complete apartment facilities and the kids enjoyed the swimming pool.

With regards to Legoland, it only takes about 25 minutes to arrive there. Our 3D/2N packages comes with free return transfers too. As for Johor Premium Outlets, yes, it is quite close to the resort and we provide free shuttle services too (upon request).

Once again, I thank you for your comments and we at Pulai Springs Resort look forward to welcoming you back. On your next visit, do enquire on the free shuttle transfer to Johor Premium Outlets and we will be happy to bring your wife.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

so, pulai springs classed itself as world class resort but from experience, i guess they still have a long way to go. upon check in, staff that was attending to me wasn't attentive enough: she had to ask a colleague for help because she couldn't find my name or booking (which i had already booked n paid for via booking.com). she later found it of course, but i could hear the colleague telling her to look carefully the next time.

room was ok. i booked a 2 bedroom suite. the other bedroom was claustrophobic, no windows but i guess this is due to the layout of the unit. shared bathroom tho! room cleanliness was ok, no other extra towels apart from just bath towels, and the pillows were horrible - stiff necks the next morning!

breakfast spread was limited, it was decent but the food topups were rather slow. and the biggest surprise came at the swimming pool. no one at the reception counter, so on the first day, we waited quite a while for the towels. but on the second day, we waited quite a bit and was told that the towels have ran out!! i was appalled that they actually ran out, and my poor toddler had to walk back to our suite in the cold. luckily i had a spare towel just for him but the adults walked back to e room dripping wet. not so excellent i would say.

they should really up the service standards for their staff and please, stock up on the towels for the pool!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank kasfaz
PulaiSpringsResortJB, General Manager at Pulai Springs Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your honest feedback.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail.

I will look into each issue that you have noted, especially on the associate at the front desk, pillows in the room, breakfast spread at Cinta Terrace and the insufficient towels at the swimming pool in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies. I am really sorry and disappointed that your toddler also nearly had to walk back to the room in the cold. I can only imagine how frustrated you were.

Once again, I thank you for your comments and I do hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. We at Pulai Springs Resort look forward to welcoming you back and providing you with excellent and warm Pulain hospitality.

Tengku Ahmad Faizal