“5 Stars? Only if you are a royalty I guess”

Pulai Springs Resort
Ranked #16 of 111 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Saw many accolades in their brochures, hall way, check in counters and hotel channel...these were probably given in the first year.

Booked a 1 bedroom suit. No towels and bath mat in room. Asked for it and arrived after dinner. Asked for two more and were delivered. Ask for baby cot, housekeeping said don't have. Ask for high chair to feed baby, they sent one without safety strap. We didn't risk using it. ( all their baby chairs come without straps) lol all were ikea stuffs and I am sure ikea sold them with straps.

Food is poor quality. Coffee tasted like water from drains.

I pity the staff. They probably try to please guests with limited resources. The senior management ought to be sack. Or they should be send to stay at the hotel for a week and see for themselves the poor standards.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else if you are not choosy. ( YES, I meant even if you are not choosy, you SHOULD fin...
3  Thank A K
PulaiSpringsResortJB, General Manager at Pulai Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

First and foremost I wish to apologize to you if we have failed to meet with your expectations.

Based on the recent feedback from some of the comments at this forum, I wish to inform you that the recent spate of activities and comments were largely the result of a sudden and unexpected surge in accommodation demand over the recent school holidays. Frankly speaking, with the opening of Legoland in Johor Bahru, we were overwhelmed by the sudden surge in last minute bookings.

However, without trying to make excuses, I would like to inform our forum members that we are aware of our immediate shortcomings and have immediately set about to address the issues by reviewing our current operating standards and had made adjustments to meet the new demand. However, unfortunately we also realized that we will be unable to meet the expectations of some of our guests in the immediate term.

Moving forward, I am pleased to inform you that in the days ahead, we will be receiving delivery of the new additional items we have ordered. We have also increased the usual deliveries of our suppliers and have recruited more staff to meet with this new demand.

It is with sincerity that I apologize for not meeting the expectations, but we are also genuinely grateful for the feedback. This has certainly helped us to improve our services to meet the expectations of our guests in the future.

On behalf of my team, we look forward to be given the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Surprisingly we had a great stay at Pulai Springs Resort compared to some of the other reviews.
The staff were friendly at check in and our room was spacious and clean and we were so thankful that there was 2 separate rooms. The only cons we had was a noisy aircon in the master, a leaky shower and no cutlery or plates in the cupboards. The TV was huge, the staff were most accommodating bringing up spare towels and always checking to make sure our requests had been answered. The beds were comfy and the views were magnificent. Room 429.
The wifi didn't work in the room, but by the pool and cafes was excellent.
The food at the Chinese restaurant was exquisite and we enjoyed a whole day in the pools. The pool on level 2 is newer and cleaner than the big pool, but my kids adored both.
The shuttle to Legoland was quick and painless. There is nothing much around Legoland at all so am not sure why there is complaints.
You can see more info on our blog including dozens of pictures! We would come back!

Room Tip: Our room was the last one overlooking the golf course, it was super quiet and conveniently located.
1  Thank ExplorewithErin
lokechoyming, Director of Operations at Pulai Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us here on Tripadvisor.

Thorough your comments, I believe you have had an enjoyable stay with us. We are glad to hear you are satisfied with the services rendered and the facilities offered to you.

It is our commitment to exceed guests’ expectations and meeting the highest level of guest satisfaction has always been our priority. Our associates are trained to strive and serve our guests as well as providing our guests with only the best services.

I will surely disseminate your positive comments and feedback to our associates who are an asset to us through our associates’ notice board.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Pulai Springs Resort and will be delighted to hear from you again soon.

Sunny Soo
Director of Operations
Pulai Springs Resort

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Johor Bahru is a great place, and Malaysians are great people. But the service at Pulai Springs is the absolute worst service I have ever come across from a hotel that charges so much. We booked our room at $400RM++ (which is expensive for a hotel in JB as I'm sure all can agree). Anyway, we thought it would be worth the money because of the pretty pictures on their website, etc. I have never been more wrong in my life.

This hotel is hell on earth. Don't be fooled by the high ratings here on TripAdvisor, it's probably when the hotel was new but now that it's old, it employs the worst staff in the history of hotel staff in the whole wide world.

Lazy. Unresponsive. Rude. They don't care. They don't put the customer first, instead, they will even talk down on you. Worst of all, it was the manager leading the charge.

1. We got triple charged on our booking. We already booked online, hence it was fully paid. Then, when we got to the hotel, they asked for my credit card. They said they would not put any charges, I asked them THREE TIMES. But lo and behold, after checking my card, not only did they charge me again for the room, but they also charged an extra $550RM++ for deposit. This after I had verified with them THREE TIMES if they will be charging anything to the card and they said NO. So all in all, we got charged 400+400+550= $1350RM++ for our room. WOW. Simply WOW.

2. When we tried to work with the manager to get it fixed, he even scolded us and told us "Did you not know that you can't use a debit card when booking at our hotel??" What a dum dum. Of course we didn't know, you never told us! Plus, we don't work at your hotel, so how could we possibly know. Other hotels it's fine to use our debit card, but here it's not. I mean, it's fine if you told us beforehand, LOL, that way we could have used a different card.

3. Then, they kept us up until 2am trying to fix the problem, we were at the hotel lobby front desk until 2am. We only spent one night in JB, and this is how we spend it -- working to fix a problem that the hotel created. Trying to get my money back was extremely difficult. UPDATE: As of this writing, I am home already in Singapore and I still haven't gotten my money back and it's still difficult to work with the hotel.)

4. The swimming pool water was dirty and the water had a very slimy feel to it. I wore goggles and saw underwater, balls of hair, sand, candy wrappers. It was disgusting, I got up right away and head straight for the showers. Yuck. The pool looks great from the outside, it's got a beautiful design, but it's poorly kept and probably never cleaned. Can you imagine letting your kids swim in this?? Come on. Ewwwww.

5. The room itself constantly power tripped, no electricity. Refrigerator had moss growing inside of it. Could not connect to wifi. Overall, very very poorly kept. The beds and bath were alright, honestly if they had problems too I would have lost my mind.

6. Don't believe they are close to anything like they say they are (Legoland, etc.). They are far. Really far. Pulai Springs is a secluded place. It's like a farm on the outskirts of the city.

Thank you Pulai Springs, for showing us what a hotel SHOULD NOT be. We hope to never see you again for the rest of our lives.

Room Tip: I would rather live in a cardboard box than choose Pulai Springs. Try the grass, more comfort. You c...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Travellosaurus

Dear Valued Guest,

First and foremost I wish to apologize if we have failed to meet with your expectations.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I'll keep it simple.

If you value your money, don't choose Pulai Springs.
If you don't want duplicate charges on your credit card, don't choose Pulai Springs.
If you don't want to be met with rude people, don't choose Pulai Springs.
If you don't like lazy, unresponsive staff, don't choose Pulai Springs.
If you don't like managers who would rather scold you than help you, don't choose Pulai Springs.
If you don't like overpriced hotel rooms not worth your hard earned money, don't choose Pulai Springs.

Thank you Pulai Springs, for showing us everything a hotel SHOULD NOT be.

P.S. The breakfast was really, really bad.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank CM C

Reviewed November 6, 2012

First impression, surprisingly neat and beautiful hotel. I was there to attend my cousin's wedding. Check in was slow and crowded as the have a ridiculously small counter, it was like in the market. I had a 3 bedroom suite, room 218. Room was nice directly next to the pool. Since it was raining not stop and can't use the pool so I decided to go for a drink at the golf terrace. There's no way to get there without getting wet unless you get the hotel buggy to send you across, which they are more than happy to do so. Ordered a bucket of 4 bottles of beer and a plate of wings. Service was extremely bad. This was confirmed by the guest sitting next to us who were still waiting for a baby chair after requesting for more than 15 minutes. Then the answer was there's no more, while there was only ONE infant in the whole place!!! Our food and drinks came around 30 minutes (oh yeah, the wings needed to be fried!!, but now out the beer!!). Asking for our bill also took about the same time.

Still raining non stop. There were 3-4 banquet halls where you can't get there without getting wet. Only one buggy. 3-4 major a quest that night. Your guess is as good as mine!! Havoc!! So I decided to ferry my family in my van to the hall. The street was extremely badly lit! Parked my car and ran across the parking lot after dropping my family. We had to get in from the KITCEN as getting in from the from means getting drenched!

Ooooh... One more thing, ONLY IN MALAYSIA WILL YOU FIND UNCIVILIZED PEOPLE SWIMMING IN THE POOL FULLY DRESSED!! I was so annoyed that I wanted to jump in with my tennis shoes!! Of course I didn't.

All in all, the hotel is average but with proper training of staffs, it could've been a lot better.

P.s. I heard room 218 is the best room!!

Room Tip: Room 218 seems to be the best!
1  Thank travlmaestro

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel sealed our impression of Malaysian hotels. Never judge a book by its cover or in this case, write ups. It's frustrating because they could easily achieve 5 star if they spruce up the maintenance and have service / hospitality training for their staff.
The lobby is unimpressive, the first thing that hits you when you enter the room is the overpowering musky smell and dark gloomy lighting. The lights are faulty, chairs are stained and cupboards smelled stale. We booked a one bedroom suite for a family of 5 consisting if 2 adults and 3 children below the age of 5. We requested for 2 baby cots which gave way when one of our toddlers lay in it so we returned it. The room is spacious though. Toilets are not as clean as we hoped it would be. The furnishings are very basic and kinda old. It is equivalent to a chalet standard.
The breakfast was sub-standard. The facilities around hotel are almost non-existent as there were no staff around to assist you. So much for a children's club and a library. We had to look high and low for it like as if we were in a ghost town. Finally found them and then had to search for the light switches. The facilities were quite run down. Imagine our disappointment especially with 3 small children in tow.
The hotel has rooms with direct access to the pool however this was not reflected on their website so do request when you make your booking. It is chargeable at additional 100RM per nite.
We will not come back again. The only reason we stayed there was because of the Legoland package.

Room Tip: Request corner rooms or rooms with pool access on 2nd floor.
5  Thank Chitchomeyle

Reviewed November 2, 2012

despite the mixed reviews that i read,i was hoping we would be lucky that i proceeded booking this hotel anyway.my mistake.i took the 3 bedroom apartment for 2 nights.upon arrival,the landscape was beautiful,then i realised that was it for this hotel.it is after all,a golf resort.check in was fast,after a very long walk,we arrived to our room.and yes,all the other reviewers were right,we didnt have towel.i called the housekeeping-waited-and waited-called again-towel sent-operator called to check-another set of towel sent-so i didnt complain.the one thing that irked me the most was the floor!i couldnt believe the amount of hair found on the floor and the sofa (bed was clean).it was as if someone had a hair party before we checked in.so housekeeping was called again.i waited for a while,but since i travel with my collapsible mop (yes i do:) and my maid was with us,she started cleaning the floor.she must have swept the floor with 4 sheets of the microfibre dry cloth,before we stop seeing hair on the mop.then the door bell rang,one guy from the housekeeping came with a mop and a pail!i let him in,he mopped the floor and left.(what if i didnt clean it first?he came with a mop,where's the vacuum?).when he left,i got my maid to re-mop with a disinfectant wipe that i brought.(i am a clean freak,plus i have 2 babies who would sit and play on the floor,so i don't want to take any chances.)other than that,everything about this hotel was just average.balcony was also dirty with bird droppings.i seriously think they should do something about the housekeeping department.the hotel is obviously trying to improve their service,as i received multiple calls after that asking whether or not the services that i requested has been rendered.i didnt want to complain much,as this trip was for my kids to go to legoland.next morning,breakfast was ok.i have no complaint.we spent the whole dy in legoland and came back late evening.the beds were made and towels changed,but the hairs were back!perplexing eh?hmm...i also noticed that the housekeeping didnt use vacuum cleaners.could that be the reason?who in the right mind would not vacuum the floor before mopping?other than that,this hotel is not really a bad place to stay,if you don't have any other choice.the architecture of the hotel is nice,it resembles the old malay palace architecture (at the sports and function rooms building).the rooms are big and spacious (no bath tub though.bummer!)swimming pool is huge with slide,kids would love it.the golf course has a nice view,and fresh air.security is also good.would i go again?i don't know.maybe with my vacuum cleaner next time;)

Room Tip: if you dont want to walk far,request for room near the lift.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family