“great stay!”

Grand BlueWave Hotel Johor Bahru
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed May 29, 2011

hotel is currently on going final phase of upgrading. except for having to take a separate lift to get to the first lvl, I did nt experience any other forms of inconvenience.

location - was actually near to the causeway, abt 10mins drive. but I gave it an average bcos there wasn't any eateries nearby within walking distance.

room & cleanliness - was pleasantly surprised bcos the room was quite big and beds were comfortable. complimentary mineral water, coffee and tea, newspaper as well as cabled Internet, no wireless though.
I think bathroom has just undergone renovation, it's very spacious and clean and quite pretty, I like the size of the shower, although the water strength is abit weak.

Service - not bad, checking in was swift. requested for additional toothbrush (they only provided one in the room), it was delivered within 10mins.

there is a good-sized gym and swimming pool in the hotel at lvl 7. you cn actually lie on the benches on the pool deck to gaze stars at night - cool! got to be careful w ur steps though, it's dimly lit at night at the pool.

I will definitely come back to this hotel. good job to the team.

• Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed May 17, 2011

Stayed here on 14th May with a few friends down from KL for just the one night, was enough. JB is a scruffy place at the best of times, but we were just there for cheap beer and seafood (we live in Singapore).
Hotel staff were polite and corteous enough, tho the entire place is in major need of refit and refurb, is v dated, late 80's feel. Entrance is confusing and not welcoming, you need to take a lift after walking through a deserted seating area up to the lobby, which is better fitted out, but still, a bit shabby. Room we had was upgraded and apparently an Executive Suite, so we had loads of room, decent sized bathroom, big bedroom and lounge etc, but everything was just generally shabby, and just 'doing the job' as oppose to looking or feeling good.
Overall, the Grandbluewave is fine for a night or two, but certainly not much longer.

Room Tip: Always ask for upgrade - they always have room!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Checked in to this hotel on May 4th with my family. Arrived at the hotel but couldn't find the lobby...reason is hotel under renovation. I guess when I made the booking, the hotel need to inform the guest about this to avoid any inconvenient caused BUT not with this hotel.

Just booked 1 night...wish to extend one night for my parents' room but was told I need to book thru internet to get special rate. Expect all guest to have PC on their travel. I mentioned that I am in-house now and I do not have any internet access. I asked for business center and was told that it is under renovation and I can't use it. After that explanations, it seems like it's your business not mine so I can't help you.....reaction from staff and Duty Manager.

To tell the truth....it was lucky that I didn't extend the stay. To my horror...I saw COCKCROACHES running along the buffet line. That is the sign that tell me I am in a wrong hotel and I need to checked out immediately. Hygiene is not attended to at all.

Brought my kids to the swimming pool...no towels...so need to bring own towels from room. Guess what....the towels from the room were very smelly......don't even dare to think why after the incident at coffee house.

Final words...DON'T STAY HERE......email to the management to get some answers but till now no reply.....guess Business Center is under renovation so GM has no access to emails.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank greatdreams
Reviewed April 29, 2011

this hotel is extremely near to the CIQ, the room i stay can view the straits of johor and also the causeway to Singapore, the best part is the hotel provide live broadcast of the traffic conditions at the causeway its benefit for all wanna to go Singapore - won;t miss the flight.

i was greet by the bell man when i first step in to the hotel and the housekeeping staffs are friendly as when they set the baby cot for me they also brief me how to use assuming i never use baby cot. GOOD KEEP UP!

as i have to go early morning to singapore, their breakfast serve at 6am sharp.... i can enjoy the lavish breakfast b4 i left.

the room that i stay is extremely spacious with a living room and bedroom, the best part is with a kitchenette, i can easily boiled hot water to make milk for my BB.. i

if i happen to go JB again sure this is the best choice.....

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2011

This hotel will probably be very good once the renovations are complete in July 2011.

In the mean time be prepared for the smell of industrial strength apoxy resin, drilling and random construction all around the hotel premises.

The breakfast was really quite good - especially for malaysia.

Location - you can easily walk from JB Sentral to this hotel, just go into JB Sentral, walk towards the Woodlands channel but then go down the escalators to the right and out onto the road under the causway. Its about 10 mins walk. You can also get a taxi 5 MYR.

Internet was very slow.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2011

recently stayed here ..the only good thing about this place is the accesibility to the causeway from singapore to JB. Nothing else good about this place.
this was my second stay here and I can see the hotel has not improved at all despite its refurbishment. service very bad. check in delayed , extra cot delivery delay, baby cot delivery delay..housekeeping delay in cleaning room..breakfast buffet very poor quality. truck stop outside awakens everyone with their early morning activity!!

all in all you get a 1 star hotel for 3 star hotel prices

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ilive4holss
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I normally travel to Singapore for meetings but decided not to spend too much in hotel stays on the island thus heading across the causeway to Johor Bahru. Grand Bluewave is now my first choice in JB.
It is very near the checkpoint as I normally drive, clearing customs it's just a 5 minutes drive depending on traffic. For me to go back to Singapore the next day is again a short drive and I reach the checkpoint without the need to negotiate thru the city's traffic.

I've stayed there more than 5 times now, and every time I check in if they are running full they'll upgrade my rooms. I travel alone and request queen size bed for a comfortable sleep.

Morning breakfast is local and western, a lot of varieties.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Check-in and check-out is always a breeze. Definitely a good choice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business