Desaru Golden Beach Hotel
Thistle Johor Bahru(Johor Bahru)
$77
$58
Agoda.com
Hotel Jen Puteri Harbour, Johor(Johor Bahru)
$105
$77
$22
Tune Hotel Danga Bay(Johor Bahru)(Great Value!)
$23
$22
$74
$68
Trip.com
$269
  • Breakfast included
Swan Garden Hotel(Johor Bahru)
$36
$31
  • Restaurant
$92
$59
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Mutiara Johor Bahru(Johor Bahru)
$51
$43
Priceline
Bliss Boutique Hotel(Johor Bahru)(Great Value!)
$36
$30
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 24, 2010

The service started from the hotel Sales Office in Singapore. The sales manager , young and handsome chap by the name Nasri was promoting the hotel when he steps in our office. Coincidence, we are planning for our company incentive trip during that time that he came.

He did a cool presentation of the resort and he wowed our HR manager. Did the service of arranging for a coach and VISA application for our expats even though that was not in the hotel package. He delivered what he promised with the beautiful villas that was beach front. The BBQ dinner was splendid and we were arranged by the pool terrace.

The function hall was big and decorated with a nice chandelier. I guess we were given the biggest hall that was at level 2 of the hotel.

The tele match games and the trip to the fireflies was OK so if you had some free time in between your stay then may consider.

The only hiccup was the efficiency of the restaurant ground staff where they lack the service as they were not that self initiative and the smile were not there at all.

Overall, the trip was fantastic and the beach was beautiful. Strongly recommended for company incentive trip.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank BayshoreExplorer
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We book 2 villas for 22/9/09-24/9/09 at Desaru Golden Beach Resort. Upon reaching, the front desk personnel gave our villa rooms. I ask for a change since I'd prefer to be near the beach, he is very helpful and get us the villas we wanted. That night, we just walk around the hotel and the beach. It's very peaceful and my 3 girls enjoy it. The next day, we had a hearty breakfast and later went for a swim first in the pool and later at the beach. We had a late lunch at Bandar Penawar town which is a short drive away. The 3rd day after having a hearty breakfast, we went back to the beach for a swim and at noon we check out and have lunch on the way back. I will surely come back again to Desaru Golden Beach Resort.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Whatisgud
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Desaru is the closest you may have a beach when coming from Singapore. However, it seems that this spoils the local hotels pretty much. We can on a quick trip and decided to stay because the beach is really nice, As anything else was fully booked (was school holidays) or even worse we took the Golden Beach Hotel.
Pricing was high, Check-in slow but OK. The room was not very clean but still acceptable with rather simple furniture despite being called beach villa. So, while accomondation was OK but far too expensive for what you get, the food is really bad. The complementary breakfast was cheap and awful. Old food and greasy stuff. We later also ordered lunch but again costly and not tasty. The amnities (pool, building) has seen much better times and where in the stage of decay.
The problem with Desaru is that no individual restaurant seems to be allowed to operate so you can only eat in the hotels. Probably this is to allow the hotels to charge high prices for low quality. Well, not quite right, there was a foodstall at the "common" beach parking but that was a very sad and bad looking food stall.
My rating: Pay as in Italy, quality as in Romania. Sad only that is is the closest beach to Singapore and it could be a very nice weekend location.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank singpat
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Upon our check in the room is out of water, the air condition remote control is out of order. housekeeping staff sending the baby cot witout take off his shoes n the toilet bowl is leaking....the things that make me more angry is during night time almost 2am the disco pub near the beach is still operating n during check out when we respond to the front office manager he just ignore our complaint not even a "sorry" to us....wat kind of hotel management service staff he is!!!!!!!!!RUDE N UNFRIENDLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank beachloverMalaysia
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Before selecting the place I read several reviews and had a mixed feeling. I decided to go with it based on the area, reviews of the resort and other resorts reviews. I dint have great expectations based on the Reviews but I was pleasantly surprised to see facilities, rooms and service of the resort.

I stayed in an Executive Villa and it had a sea view from the balcony. The Bed, furniture were old but decent. Bathroom was clean (which was more important for me). The area, beach is very good and quite. You can spend a quite peaceful holiday with family or friends here. The Beach was nice with green water and mild waves, 1yr old daughter enjoyed the beach. The only bad part was there were several wastes (wood, small garbage) on the shore.

The food in the resort was below average and you can see flies flying in the dining area (as mentioned in other reviews.) but what I noticed was it is the same experience around the Desaru area. We had food in the resort once and went out (Penawar) other times. I had the same experience outside too (files and quality, taste of food is average only)

They had a nice pool too but dint use it and also dint try their BBQ.
Overall my experience with the resort was satisfactory and I would consider going here again with family/friends. This place gives the value for what you pay. (I paid RM200/nite for an executive Villa, what better can you expect for this price)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family