“I will surely come back to this place.”

and 1 more site!
Desaru Golden Beach Hotel
Ranked #56 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Kuala Lumpur
“I will surely come back to this place.”
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We book 2 villas for 22/9/09-24/9/09 at Desaru Golden Beach Resort. Upon reaching, the front desk personnel gave our villa rooms. I ask for a change since I'd prefer to be near the beach, he is very helpful and get us the villas we wanted. That night, we just walk around the hotel and the beach. It's very peaceful and my 3 girls enjoy it. The next day, we had a hearty breakfast and later went for a swim first in the pool and later at the beach. We had a late lunch at Bandar Penawar town which is a short drive away. The 3rd day after having a hearty breakfast, we went back to the beach for a swim and at noon we check out and have lunch on the way back. I will surely come back again to Desaru Golden Beach Resort.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Whatisgud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Desaru is the closest you may have a beach when coming from Singapore. However, it seems that this spoils the local hotels pretty much. We can on a quick trip and decided to stay because the beach is really nice, As anything else was fully booked (was school holidays) or even worse we took the Golden Beach Hotel.
Pricing was high, Check-in slow but OK. The room was not very clean but still acceptable with rather simple furniture despite being called beach villa. So, while accomondation was OK but far too expensive for what you get, the food is really bad. The complementary breakfast was cheap and awful. Old food and greasy stuff. We later also ordered lunch but again costly and not tasty. The amnities (pool, building) has seen much better times and where in the stage of decay.
The problem with Desaru is that no individual restaurant seems to be allowed to operate so you can only eat in the hotels. Probably this is to allow the hotels to charge high prices for low quality. Well, not quite right, there was a foodstall at the "common" beach parking but that was a very sad and bad looking food stall.
My rating: Pay as in Italy, quality as in Romania. Sad only that is is the closest beach to Singapore and it could be a very nice weekend location.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank singpat

Travelers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

malaysia
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Upon our check in the room is out of water, the air condition remote control is out of order. housekeeping staff sending the baby cot witout take off his shoes n the toilet bowl is leaking....the things that make me more angry is during night time almost 2am the disco pub near the beach is still operating n during check out when we respond to the front office manager he just ignore our complaint not even a "sorry" to us....wat kind of hotel management service staff he is!!!!!!!!!RUDE N UNFRIENDLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank beachloverMalaysia
San Rafael, California
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Before selecting the place I read several reviews and had a mixed feeling. I decided to go with it based on the area, reviews of the resort and other resorts reviews. I dint have great expectations based on the Reviews but I was pleasantly surprised to see facilities, rooms and service of the resort.

I stayed in an Executive Villa and it had a sea view from the balcony. The Bed, furniture were old but decent. Bathroom was clean (which was more important for me). The area, beach is very good and quite. You can spend a quite peaceful holiday with family or friends here. The Beach was nice with green water and mild waves, 1yr old daughter enjoyed the beach. The only bad part was there were several wastes (wood, small garbage) on the shore.

The food in the resort was below average and you can see flies flying in the dining area (as mentioned in other reviews.) but what I noticed was it is the same experience around the Desaru area. We had food in the resort once and went out (Penawar) other times. I had the same experience outside too (files and quality, taste of food is average only)

They had a nice pool too but dint use it and also dint try their BBQ.
Overall my experience with the resort was satisfactory and I would consider going here again with family/friends. This place gives the value for what you pay. (I paid RM200/nite for an executive Villa, what better can you expect for this price)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Seriously the worst hotel ever. My husband actually compares it to army camps back in Singapore and says that some camps are way better than this.

The BBQ they served us on the last night gave half our group food poisioning. Their Sunshine Cafe isn't even air-conditioned, swarming with flies and mosquitoes everywhere.

My in-laws staying just next door had their water pipe bursting in the middle of the night. And they were made to shift rooms- all by themselves.

The hotel's currently having half its premises under renovation. And unfortunately, we stayed in the old half. Even if the rooms are brand new, i doubt i'll come back again. Service isn't good at all.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I booked an executive villa room for 1 night, checking in on 13 June. Before the stay, I had read up on reviews of the resort and was quite dismayed at all the unfavourable feedbacks. Therefore, I was mentally prepared for an 'unpleasant' stay on 13 June. On the day of check in, the reception upgraded us to the executive sea villa at no extra charge. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased. When we reached our room and opened the door, we were quite pleased with what we saw. The staff at the resort had already on the air-con before we entered the room, therefore it was very cool and comfy when we entered the room. The room was spacious and clean, no stains on the bed sheets/blanket, no foul smell, bathroom is small but clean. Maybe we were lucky to get that room but I must say I was very happy with the room we had. We roamed around the resort premises after that and found that the resort itself was quite small, compared to Pulai Spring (which is also located in Desaru). There are not many facilities in the resort. I saw the swimming pool (it's not very big), the dining area and a couple of tables for table tennis. There were flies in the dining area, but it's still tolerable. We had our lunch in the resort, and I find the food were average. It took about 15 mintues for the food to arrive after we've ordered. But I would wipe the cutleries before using them as they were left on the tables with the flies flying around. We had a wonderful stay at the Golden Beach Resort and I think I would most prob try the resort again in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
singapore
Reviewed April 13, 2009

i read the other reviews before making a trip to desaru so i kinda know that this hotel is a mediocre one. since i haven't set my expectations high, the stay has been quite ok.

there weren't that many huge flies in the sunshine cafe, but there were SOME. and yes the utensils were placed on the table - not ON a napkin - but directly on the table. during lunch we waited for around 30 - 40 mins for our food to come, and yet it wasn't worth the wait. i don't understand how a cook could screw up a simple fried fish or chicken. we're assuming it was because there was a seminar in the hotel at that time so they were busy preparing food for the 100+ guests. oh well.

the breakfast was no exception. they have an egg station, hotdogs, french toast, rice, mee something (noodles in curry soup with some cabbage and chicken) and plain/wheat bread. that's it. i think the chef has poor tastebuds because NONE of these were well seasoned. if you are a bread-for-breakfast person, then you'd be just fine.

but anyway i think after viewing the disgusting desaru holiday chalet we were suddenly tolerant of this mediocre hotel. so i would say it wasn't so bad because we somehow enjoyed our dip in the pool and riding the waves as the beach is just a short walk from the pool area. the service was also OK, though i suspect it was mostly because i CONSCIOUSLY decided to be polite in the first place :)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
#31 of 109 in Johor Bahru
Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel
Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel
#10 of 109 in Johor Bahru

Been to Desaru Golden Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!