“Perfect service, Great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel

Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel
Ranked #4 of 107 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Eureka, California
“Perfect service, Great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

The people who run this Renaissance five star hotel make all the difference. From learning our names almost immediately to remembering what coffee we like to have in the morning at the buffett. Genuinely friendly, the local and international staff really go the extra mile every time. The hotel is next to a huge local restaurant and business area that comes alive at night, and there is a night market on Sunday nights with lots of local fruits, foods and knick knacks. Right next to the newly completed freeway/tollroad, the hotel is close to JB, Pasir Gudang, and Singapore. My wife and I intend to return to this hotel every time we visit family.

Room Tip: The club level gives you a choice of breakfast there, or at the buffett. The club level here is abov...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TheBusboy
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

I receive your review with an overwhelming heart knowing that my team were able to provide a genuine service in a gracious way is so wonderful to read. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our property in general fits perfectly to accommodate your needs.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Thank you also for marking our Club Lounge and our location.

We look forward to welcoming you back and have the opportunity to offering you with the same level of personalized and distinctive service that you so clearly enjoyed.

Marc Cosyns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel provided for us on all fronts. It offered a comfortable room with buffet breakfast in the coffee shop. The breakfast menu was varied and had something for everyone.
The hotel is located close to the causeway which is definitely an added bonus. All in all a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank MilanDiwan
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Your kind comments are greatly motivational to our ambassadors. It was fantastic to hear that our buffet meals were satisfactory for you as a traveler. I believe travelling can be extremely tiring and a good meal always fixes things up! Indeed it is an added advantage that the location of our hotel is in close proximity to the Causeway and also towards the industrial estate of Pasir Gudang.

Anyway, it is always a pleasure to hear from our guests, hopefully you would be back soon as we would be delighted to have you again.

With best regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Just had a weekend stay in Johor. As the function we were attending was in Permas Jaya, the Renaissance JB was an easy choice. Easy booking through Marriott.com . Upon arrival, quick check in, no issue. Nice clean modern room w nice bed, flat screen TV, and stocked mini bar. Buffet lunch was very good w nice selection. One thing though.... Most all of the restaurant staff were young imported workers. Some were struggling to understand some of the orders from our group. Perhaps they just need more seasoning. Personally, I'd like to see more Malaysians working there. JMPO. The next morning, we had by far, the best breakfast buffet in JB. Scored highly on the wife-o-meter.
Although I didn't utilize it, there's a nice West facing roof top swimming pool. We'll check it out on our next visit, because this is where we'll be staying.
OK, here we go:
PRO's:
Marriott/Renaissance network for easy reservations, check in/out. (Remember to join Marriott rewards before checking in).
Clean, modern quiet room.
Good restaurant.
Nice swimming pool.
Enthusiastic, friendly staff.
Handy location next to Permas Maya shop lots, for good cheap eats and nightlife, car accessory shops, and a big Aeon close by.
CON's:
Not much really. Other then my comments above about the new staff, I liked everything about the place.
Thank Renaissance, keep up the good work.
NOTE: this an upscale business hotel. If you want everything cheap-cheap, this place is not for you.
Cheers, DE

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank DirtyErn
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Sir,

Huge thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor, your feedback about us is kindly appreciated.

I am very pleased to hear that our hotel service, staff, cleanliness and many other aspects have satisfied you and your friends’ expectation and needs. Indeed some of our restaurant staff are foreigners and that is why we do provide training for them so that they can produce a better service. Your remarks though, will be forwarded to the Human Resources department and the problem would be rectified by the time you visit us again.

I agree that our property is a strategic location because of its close proximity to Pasir Gudang and we have so much around the hotel to offer. Maybe in the future, we can recommend other places outside the hotel for you to explore.

Once again thank you very much for your kind comments, your thoughts mean a lot to us. We’ll be delighted to have you on board again.

Until then, have a good weekend.

Yours sincerely,
Orchard Road, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed here with our family on the weekend. Quite happy with the cleanliness of the Hotel. Security is good inside and outside of the Hotel. Housekeeping man is very friendly and keep greeting us. Unfortunately the Wifi is not free. The Front office indian lady did not smile at all on our check in, Maybe she was tired but really I don't feel welcome during the check in. Even the guy who offer us the welcome drink is much more friendlier and sincere. The little one love the swimming pool tho.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Heffect
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on our hotel. Please be certain that we are very thankful for your comments and with your kind words, we can definitely excel in areas you feel that we need improvement in.

First of all, it was wonderful to hear that we have exceeded your expectations as a hotel in this small town of Permas Jaya. In many aspects, we have satisfied your needs, like the cleanliness and security. Over here, we do strive to provide only the best for our guests. Here in Renaissance, we are always encouraging our customers to explore the world outside, discovering something unique. Wifi, though is complimentary in the public areas.

It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests as their opinions mean a lot to us. Once again, many thanks for your kind words, we hope to see you again.

With warm regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Location
It is located about 15 minutes drive to/from JB depending on the traffic. I like the fact that it is away from the busy town centre of JB. However due to the location, it is best if you drive your own car so that you can easily move around. Jusco Permas is nearby, about 15-20 minutes walking distance. There is also a McD around the corner.

Parking
Unlike certain hotels that has a rather cramped parking space, the parking here is quite spacious, easy for you to navigate your car around the bend/ramp. So if you drive a big car such as an SUV or something similar, you should not need to worry. The covered parking is free for guest, all you have to do is validate your ticket at the reception.

Check in
My check in was quick, I was greeted by Jessica who is very helpful and always smiling. A definite plus point for a front desk staff. My entire request; bedding, floor, room location are met with the help from Jessica. I was also given a complimentary drink while checking in which I find very nice and thoughtful of the hotel towards guest.

Room
It is a new hotel, so everything looks fresh and new. I like the fact that the concept of the hotel and the rooms are modern concept. The room is quite spacious compared to other business hotel. The room and bathroom are both clean, bedding and towels are stain free. Electrical appliances such as kettle, bedside clock, hair dryer are branded and of good quality. Toilet amenities also include toothbrush and shaver.

Facilities
Swimming pool is of 1.4m depth, good enough for average Asian like me. There is also a wading pool of 0.5m depth for the kids. The equipments inside the gym are state of the art with touch screen where you can watch TV program as you exercise. Better bring your own earphones as the headphones provided are used by many. However I did notice that every time a guest finished using any equipment the staff on duty there will wipe clean it afterwards, another plus point to ensure that is hygienic for the next user.

Breakfast
The buffet breakfast selection is great. I especially like the tosai. They provide a mix of local and western food. Table is also quickly cleared once you have finished your food. In fact on my 2nd day they cleared my table completely including the utensils while I was away at the food counter taking desserts. It is kind of annoying when you get back to your table only to find out they have cleared it completely. It almost feels like you are being ushered to finish your breakfast session. But they quickly rectify this by providing me with new utensils and tea, so it is okay.

Staff
Almost all the staff here is always smiling and eager to greet you. After my check in and as I was settling down in my room I received a call from the front desk asking if everything is OK. Have to say I am quite pleased by this proactive act by the hotel, two thumbs up. It really makes you feel welcomed and appreciated.

On the other hand, the key card for the lifts and my room is rather fiddly. It takes quite a number of times before you can make it work. I hope if there is truly a problem with the key card system, the management should do something about it because it can be quite frustrating, especially if there are many people inside the lifts, trying to get to diff floors yet having the same difficulty at the same time. Apart from this problem everything is good and I would not hesitate to choose this hotel again should I have business errands in Pasir Gudang area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your splendid experience with us and giving feedback on how to improve our hotel. I am delighted to know that our hotel has met your needs in many different aspects, such as the facilities, the parking, room and staff and so on. I will forward your positive comments to our ambassadors, and with your support, they will definitely be motivated to serve you better.

Regarding the key card, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. I will also pass this message to our Engineering team so that they can verify this problem and ensure it never happens again.

To read that you would be visiting us again on your next business trip to Pasir Gudang, is indeed very wonderful news! Henceforth, I wish you safe travels ahead and we look forward to seeing you again.

Your sincerely,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

As a Marriott Rewards member, I tend to try to stay in Marriott group hotels when I can. The Renaissance doesn't disappoint and is worthy of its 4 star rating. It is modern, clean and with very good service.

On the plus side, the breakfast was well presented and perfect to kick start the working day. The rooms are large in comparison to most similar hotels and very comfortable.

On the negative side, I took 2 hours to find it, as my GPS couldn't locate the address. My fault, as I hadn't uploaded the latest version, but as this is a new hotel in a new part of town, it doesn't appear in old GPS software. If you travel there by car, input the co-ordinates before you leave or upload the latest version of the software. Also, I had to pay a RM30 fine as I lost my parking ticket. I can see why this is necessary for non-staying guests, but I completely fail to see why this was necessary for someone staying in the hotel - parking is supposed to be free, and my losing my ticket caused the hotel no additional cost.

By the way, it is not in the centre of town and is better located for those doing business in the Pasir Gudang area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Sir,

It is such a pleasure to hear from our Marriott Rewards member and I would like to thank you for your time in writing such a great review about our hotel. It is wonderful to know that we have met your expectations as part of the Marriott group hotels.

As Permas Jaya is a small town not far from the city center, our Navigators could ease your journey here by directing you to the hotel. We would be happy to assist you.

It was also disappointing to hear that our staff charged you for the parking ticket. I believe it was a mistake and I truly apologize. However rest assured that I have forwarded your remark to the team to make sure such incident will not happen again in the future.

Our aim is to provide you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.

Yours Sincerely,
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

The hotel is very clean and staff are nice as expected. The location of the hotel is not for an tourist. It take RM30 from the border and RM50+ to the Larkin bus terminal (heavy traffic).
Since we are not interested in LEGOLAND or shopping, we rested at the hotel.

The food in one of two restaurants is ok but price was RM68+10 % service charge + tax. Service was good but the taste was not for us. Chinese Restaurant Li was good in taste and price. Saw some tourist came in with bus load. It is very good hotel except the location.

Room Tip: We didn't look for it but there is some fast food chains around the corner. If I knew, I will lo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Don B
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Mr. Don,

Thank you very much for writing a meaningful review about our hotel. I am pleased to hear that our ambassadors and the environment in the hotel is to your liking,

Unfortunately, it was sad to hear that the taste of our food in Cafe BLD was not to your satisfaction. Please rest assured that I will forward this remark to our culinary team so that they can take necessary actions to improve.

I have to agree that our location is not the perfect place for tourist. However, I believe that Johor Bahru has the potential to develop into an exciting, bustling city in a few years. Maybe in the future, instead of Legoland, there would be more for you to see!

Lastly, I am grateful that you took time to give us feedback. With your support, we will definitely strive to improve our service is all aspects.

On that note, we look forward to see you again.

Yours sincerely,