“Wonderful experience”

Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed a night in the double room.

The location of this hotel in Permas Jaya is a bit awkward for a 5-star hotel as it seats in the middle of a local comercial area and has a school located opposite its premises. Getting here would be a bit of a challenge as there are no signboards to guide you. Our GPS do not have its coordinates (or maybe it needs an upgrade?). However, just try to look for Jusco Permas Jaya and you should not miss the hotel which is clearly visible from the main road.

Staff are extremely helpful. Check in was OK.

The room was wonderful! It smells nice, is spacious and clean.
I had my best shower experience ever in a hotel with the rainshower which was delivered with consistent pressure. The Tokyo Milk toiletries were oh-so-refreshing.
Sleep quality was good. The standard pillows were too soft to my liking but the extra pillow in the closet was firm enough.

Room service keeps up to Marriot/Renaissance standard (we ordered pizza and soup for our late dinner). I wished I had more time to enjoy all the various food offered at breakfast at the BLD.

Getting into town from the hotel would be a bit trickier than getting to Pasir Gudang...took me almost 30 mins. Nevertheless, it has been a wonderful experience staying in this hotel, which I wish to repeat.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your generous and considerate review of our property. I hope your travel back was an easy one.

We are in the process of installing more road signage and awaiting for the approval from local authorities. I believe the approval should come out no longer and we would able to install the signage in this near future. Our location is actually easier to access from guest who comes through EDL highway from Kota Bandaraya, even easier to access the industrial center of Pasir Gudang. The road development in the area has been improved compare to three years back, and this benefits preserved for our guests who wants to find an accommodation with a strategic location that can offers serenity, flexibility and in the other hand offering guests a unique experience about living life of discovery.

I couldn't be more happy to know that you had a good experience with our bedroom. Our rain shower has been loved and praised by our guests, and I am happy to know that it is still be the one of favorable thing that can pleased our guests. In regards of room’s pillow, we have three types of pillow in the house, which are feather type (soft), micro gel type (hard) and contour type (very hard). We could provide any of the pillow that is suitable and makes you more comfortable. During your next visit to our property, kindly leave your pillow request on the reservation form and we will arrange to provide the one you required.

Your comment regarding our staffs and our services were also greatly appreciated. We are glad that you enjoyed the experience very much, as much as we are pleased to have the opportunity to serve you a uniquely Renaissance hospitality.

Once again, thank you for your review and for recommending us to our future traveller on TripAdvisor. We look forward to host you again soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel opened in June 2013 - I was there in August 2013. LIke most Renaissance Marriott hotels, it is built to impress. My room was spacious and well-appointed, although the decor is a bit too minimalist for my taste - I never felt 'at home' as I generally do in other Renaissance properties. The restaurant is basically a buffet set-up, focusing on Asian food with a few Western dishes. I was there for 5 nights, and frankly I got bored with the same food offerings every day. I did ask for the a la carte menu once, but the dishes I wanted were not available because of 'no gas' that day - even though one of the chefs was busily making stir fry in a wok that was perched above an obviously-burning gas flame! So I wandered over to the nearby shopping centre to eat at Pizza Hut one day. Be forewarned: the mall is close, but there are no paved footpaths (sidewalks). In fact, between the hotel and the petrol station (which is paved, thankfully), one walks along a narrow strip of dirt & grass wedged between a hedge and an open concrete drain; if one slipped, it would be possible to fall into this drain and get hurt pretty badly. I mentioned this to one of the staff, and asked if there was a back door from the hotel to the street behind the building, which would make it much easier to access local shops and the mall. He said no, but one could walk the other way - several blocks north along a busy road, again without a paved footpath. There is absolutely nothing to do in the area; the hotel mostly serves businessmen who are visiting or working at an industrial area, to which the hotel provides a free shuttle. But there is no free (or paid) shuttle that goes to the shopping mall, or to Johor Bahru city. Interesting. . . But I was there for a rest, to get away from phones and doorbells, so I did get that! The price couldn't be beat, with Singapore hotels being much more expensive; but I probably wouldn't return, simply because of the boring food and the sense of isolation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. Thank you very much for your considerate review of our property.

I am happy to know that you had a good experience with our bedroom. The Hotel was actually open on 18th April 2013. Entering our 6 month of business, we are picking up a good business for both leisure and business traveler. Our location is surely one of the key point that offer guests a well-deserved breaks from the hustle bustle of the city lives, but in the same time guests who want to travel to downtown still easily reach the area within short 15 minutes time through EDL.

I am sorry to hear that our buffet was not one of your favorite. Actually our buffet was serving new menu every day, but perhaps not so much selection was renewing at the beginning. We have received many positive compliments from our guests regarding our buffet, however your comments will took into serious consideration. We hope on your next visit to Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, you will be able to enjoy our fresh and new delighting menu. Your comments regarding the pedestrian path around our Hotel, we have reserved a proper and safe pedestrian path for our guests to access the shop lots behind the Hotel, but the walk path at the petrol station you mention, was not part of our scope of project since the border is concerned as the petrol station area. Yet we will took this issue into a discussion with the Owner of the petrol station on the possibility to build a proper pedestrian path that is safer and more comfortable.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments. We appreciate hearing from our guests, the comments that we receive are the best tools to help us enhance our services up to their needs. Your patronage towards Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel is very important to us and we would warmly welcoming you back soon on board.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I book poolside terrace for my birthday treats.Want to relax after so much work.And well, its make me happy for my happ day.Nice room! Big, spacious, elegant, with bath tub, comfy bed, nice surrounding.Everything was nice.Poos only a few steps from my romm.wowww..feel exclusive for my day.The hotel staff also surprise me with a piece of cake with "happy birthday" wishes.cool rite.Food selection at BLD is so good!!! Satisfied.My comment only for the staff,maybe this hotel is still new,so a bit messy.sure after this they will improve.but i know they try hard oredi to do their job.maybe with a few more month experience they will be more better in this such big name hotel.add more smile is important.anyway tq for all the staff that help me bring my backpack to my room.thumbs up for fast action!my mistake to forget carry it with me after check in.
Thats all.and i will come back to terrace pool room again after this!

• Stayed: September 2013
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Having such a nice comments from guests like you is very overwhelming. Thank you for your generous review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. I am happy to know that you had a good experience with our beautiful pool terrace room; the limited number of rooms that provide the only serenity and privacy with an open pool just one step in front of your door. I am happy knowing that you received a level of service that I would expect while staying with us. Thank you for marking our Cfe BLD and our property in general. Your comments regarding our staffs and our services were also greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon on board. Have a good one.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Renaissance JB was a positive surprise and I recommend the hotel for any reason, work or pleasure. Club Floor Rooms. This is a new hotel and closer to Pasir Gudang.
You can get special rates for company and is worthwhile to try this new hotel. The surrounding new township is also more lively then downtown JB. Club floor rooms and the gym have high standard.

Room Tip: Club floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. I particularly thank you for marking our property as your choice of ‘second home’ in Johor Bahru. We are happy to know that our property in many aspects fit perfectly to accommodate your needs. Thank you also for marking our location, our Club Floor and our property in general. We hope more of guest will be coming to visit our property as a result of reading your generous review.

Look forward to host you again soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is the best hotel in the area. The staff is new so is the hotel and they are really trying their best. Finally a hotel where all the things that should be free are actually free (Wifi, safe, pool towels). Thank you. You will have your own iron with ironing board, robe, slippers, spacious room, nice decoration, complementary water, tea, coffee. Wonderful breakfast selection with many local specialities. Vegans and raw vegans can find an industrial juicer at the breakfast hall entrance and can have vegetable and fruit juices as well. The pool is nothing to write home about, but you can still have your swim there. Only 2 comments for improvement: someone please go down to a shop and get 2 clocks, one for the pool area and one for the breakfast hall. Also the magnetic cards keep loosing the code and needs to be changed all the time.

Room Tip: The higher the better view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is such a pleasure to read your kind and generous review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. I am happy to know that our property in many aspects fit perfectly to accommodate your needs. Your comments regarding our staffs and our hotel in general were greatly appreciated. Thank you for particularly marking about our breakfast buffet and for recommending it to our future travelers on TripAdvisor. Your constructive suggestions on the clocks for the pool and breakfast area will took into our consideration. The problem on the magnetic card has been spoken to our Supplier and they will look into better replacement.

Once again, thank you for your thorough and complete review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future and also welcoming more guests as result of reading your review of Renaissance Johor Bahru.

Life Live to Discover.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This brand new addition to JHB is a great improvement for this god forsaken city, which until now didn’t have even one good hotel.

The hotel is brand new, modern design, and good sized rooms.

As a Marriott gold member I was upgraded to club floor. My 16th floor room was well sized, clean, good working desk and chair, free internet LAN + Wi-Fi, and good bandwidth
Amenities are fine as well.

Executive lounge is spacious, modern design, and friendly staff.

Location is great, especially if you have business in Pasir Gudang.

However, there are some downsides in the hotel as well.

There is no bathtub, shower only (however, water flow great).
The bed is on the hard side and not too comfortable, and the quilt is too heavy, probably made of low grade synthetic material.

Air-condition is not stable, either too cold or too hot. Seems to be it is connected to motion sensors and will go off after 30 minutes of no motion. This is very bad, especially during sleeping hours since motion sensors doesn't sense you while sleeping.

Signs of some rooms are wrong. See attached pictures directing you to the left for room 1616 while in fact it is on the right hand.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nomad6022
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a generous review about our property. We appreciate hearing from our guests, the comments that we received are the best tools to help us enhance our services up to their needs. Your generous compliment marking our property as the best property in Johor Bahru is overwhelming.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our bedroom and our Club Lounge very much. Your comments regarding our staffs and our services are also greatly appreciated. I'm particularly glad that you made a special mention about our location. As your review says, Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel is well positioned on the quiet edge of Permas Jaya which is easily accessible for business travelers who work in Pasir Gudang, and it is just a short 15 minutes stroll into the center of town. Many of our guests come to our property to enjoy peace, relaxation and greenery, and thankfully, our location offers that with the ability to easily access the hustle and bustle of Johor Bahru City itself.

For your information, our bed is covered with a featherbed, which is a type of bedding traditionally used on top of mattresses to help make them softer. The hotel uses a luxurious and comfortable bed of Slumberland. We will look into the bed on the room you stayed and will do the necessary to fix the hard side of the bed. We have also forwarded your remark about the air condition to our Engineering Department and they will do the necessary reparation as well. Thank you for marking the misplaced of our room signage on the level 16th. We have contacted the supplier to do the correct placing and that should be done this couple of weeks.

Thank you once again for your constructive review. We hope to see you again soon on board.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Excellent service, ambiance, setting and everything in general. The rooms are spacious, comfy and elegant. The entire hotel is beautiful. There are so many many details I could gush over but I will leave at, it is a place that pampers and coddles you while offering intimate encounter with gently rugged beauties of the natural world.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SamiRZ201
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read how you enjoyed your stay and the service you received at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. Thank you for your generous review.

We value that our guests come to us to enjoy well deserved breaks from their daily lives. So to know that our teams were able to offer this to you in the form of gracious service is wonderful to read. Thank you also for highlighting our bedroom and our hotel in general. We are glad that you enjoyed it.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back soon.