“Walking on the edge”

Ranked #4 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Perth, Australia
“Walking on the edge”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel opened in June 2013 - I was there in August 2013. LIke most Renaissance Marriott hotels, it is built to impress. My room was spacious and well-appointed, although the decor is a bit too minimalist for my taste - I never felt 'at home' as I generally do in other Renaissance properties. The restaurant is basically a buffet set-up, focusing on Asian food with a few Western dishes. I was there for 5 nights, and frankly I got bored with the same food offerings every day. I did ask for the a la carte menu once, but the dishes I wanted were not available because of 'no gas' that day - even though one of the chefs was busily making stir fry in a wok that was perched above an obviously-burning gas flame! So I wandered over to the nearby shopping centre to eat at Pizza Hut one day. Be forewarned: the mall is close, but there are no paved footpaths (sidewalks). In fact, between the hotel and the petrol station (which is paved, thankfully), one walks along a narrow strip of dirt & grass wedged between a hedge and an open concrete drain; if one slipped, it would be possible to fall into this drain and get hurt pretty badly. I mentioned this to one of the staff, and asked if there was a back door from the hotel to the street behind the building, which would make it much easier to access local shops and the mall. He said no, but one could walk the other way - several blocks north along a busy road, again without a paved footpath. There is absolutely nothing to do in the area; the hotel mostly serves businessmen who are visiting or working at an industrial area, to which the hotel provides a free shuttle. But there is no free (or paid) shuttle that goes to the shopping mall, or to Johor Bahru city. Interesting. . . But I was there for a rest, to get away from phones and doorbells, so I did get that! The price couldn't be beat, with Singapore hotels being much more expensive; but I probably wouldn't return, simply because of the boring food and the sense of isolation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. Thank you very much for your considerate review of our property.

I am happy to know that you had a good experience with our bedroom. The Hotel was actually open on 18th April 2013. Entering our 6 month of business, we are picking up a good business for both leisure and business traveler. Our location is surely one of the key point that offer guests a well-deserved breaks from the hustle bustle of the city lives, but in the same time guests who want to travel to downtown still easily reach the area within short 15 minutes time through EDL.

I am sorry to hear that our buffet was not one of your favorite. Actually our buffet was serving new menu every day, but perhaps not so much selection was renewing at the beginning. We have received many positive compliments from our guests regarding our buffet, however your comments will took into serious consideration. We hope on your next visit to Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, you will be able to enjoy our fresh and new delighting menu. Your comments regarding the pedestrian path around our Hotel, we have reserved a proper and safe pedestrian path for our guests to access the shop lots behind the Hotel, but the walk path at the petrol station you mention, was not part of our scope of project since the border is concerned as the petrol station area. Yet we will took this issue into a discussion with the Owner of the petrol station on the possibility to build a proper pedestrian path that is safer and more comfortable.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments. We appreciate hearing from our guests, the comments that we receive are the best tools to help us enhance our services up to their needs. Your patronage towards Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel is very important to us and we would warmly welcoming you back soon on board.

Live Life to Discover.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I book poolside terrace for my birthday treats.Want to relax after so much work.And well, its make me happy for my happ day.Nice room! Big, spacious, elegant, with bath tub, comfy bed, nice surrounding.Everything was nice.Poos only a few steps from my romm.wowww..feel exclusive for my day.The hotel staff also surprise me with a piece of cake with "happy birthday" wishes.cool rite.Food selection at BLD is so good!!! Satisfied.My comment only for the staff,maybe this hotel is still new,so a bit messy.sure after this they will improve.but i know they try hard oredi to do their job.maybe with a few more month experience they will be more better in this such big name hotel.add more smile is important.anyway tq for all the staff that help me bring my backpack to my room.thumbs up for fast action!my mistake to forget carry it with me after check in.
Thats all.and i will come back to terrace pool room again after this!

• Stayed September 2013
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Having such a nice comments from guests like you is very overwhelming. Thank you for your generous review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. I am happy to know that you had a good experience with our beautiful pool terrace room; the limited number of rooms that provide the only serenity and privacy with an open pool just one step in front of your door. I am happy knowing that you received a level of service that I would expect while staying with us. Thank you for marking our Cfe BLD and our property in general. Your comments regarding our staffs and our services were also greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon on board. Have a good one.

Östergötand
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Renaissance JB was a positive surprise and I recommend the hotel for any reason, work or pleasure. Club Floor Rooms. This is a new hotel and closer to Pasir Gudang.
You can get special rates for company and is worthwhile to try this new hotel. The surrounding new township is also more lively then downtown JB. Club floor rooms and the gym have high standard.

Room Tip: Club floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. I particularly thank you for marking our property as your choice of ‘second home’ in Johor Bahru. We are happy to know that our property in many aspects fit perfectly to accommodate your needs. Thank you also for marking our location, our Club Floor and our property in general. We hope more of guest will be coming to visit our property as a result of reading your generous review.

Look forward to host you again soon.

Budapest
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is the best hotel in the area. The staff is new so is the hotel and they are really trying their best. Finally a hotel where all the things that should be free are actually free (Wifi, safe, pool towels). Thank you. You will have your own iron with ironing board, robe, slippers, spacious room, nice decoration, complementary water, tea, coffee. Wonderful breakfast selection with many local specialities. Vegans and raw vegans can find an industrial juicer at the breakfast hall entrance and can have vegetable and fruit juices as well. The pool is nothing to write home about, but you can still have your swim there. Only 2 comments for improvement: someone please go down to a shop and get 2 clocks, one for the pool area and one for the breakfast hall. Also the magnetic cards keep loosing the code and needs to be changed all the time.

Room Tip: The higher the better view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is such a pleasure to read your kind and generous review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. I am happy to know that our property in many aspects fit perfectly to accommodate your needs. Your comments regarding our staffs and our hotel in general were greatly appreciated. Thank you for particularly marking about our breakfast buffet and for recommending it to our future travelers on TripAdvisor. Your constructive suggestions on the clocks for the pool and breakfast area will took into our consideration. The problem on the magnetic card has been spoken to our Supplier and they will look into better replacement.

Once again, thank you for your thorough and complete review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future and also welcoming more guests as result of reading your review of Renaissance Johor Bahru.

Life Live to Discover.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This brand new addition to JHB is a great improvement for this god forsaken city, which until now didn’t have even one good hotel.

The hotel is brand new, modern design, and good sized rooms.

As a Marriott gold member I was upgraded to club floor. My 16th floor room was well sized, clean, good working desk and chair, free internet LAN + Wi-Fi, and good bandwidth
Amenities are fine as well.

Executive lounge is spacious, modern design, and friendly staff.

Location is great, especially if you have business in Pasir Gudang.

However, there are some downsides in the hotel as well.

There is no bathtub, shower only (however, water flow great).
The bed is on the hard side and not too comfortable, and the quilt is too heavy, probably made of low grade synthetic material.

Air-condition is not stable, either too cold or too hot. Seems to be it is connected to motion sensors and will go off after 30 minutes of no motion. This is very bad, especially during sleeping hours since motion sensors doesn't sense you while sleeping.

Signs of some rooms are wrong. See attached pictures directing you to the left for room 1616 while in fact it is on the right hand.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nomad6022
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a generous review about our property. We appreciate hearing from our guests, the comments that we received are the best tools to help us enhance our services up to their needs. Your generous compliment marking our property as the best property in Johor Bahru is overwhelming.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our bedroom and our Club Lounge very much. Your comments regarding our staffs and our services are also greatly appreciated. I'm particularly glad that you made a special mention about our location. As your review says, Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel is well positioned on the quiet edge of Permas Jaya which is easily accessible for business travelers who work in Pasir Gudang, and it is just a short 15 minutes stroll into the center of town. Many of our guests come to our property to enjoy peace, relaxation and greenery, and thankfully, our location offers that with the ability to easily access the hustle and bustle of Johor Bahru City itself.

For your information, our bed is covered with a featherbed, which is a type of bedding traditionally used on top of mattresses to help make them softer. The hotel uses a luxurious and comfortable bed of Slumberland. We will look into the bed on the room you stayed and will do the necessary to fix the hard side of the bed. We have also forwarded your remark about the air condition to our Engineering Department and they will do the necessary reparation as well. Thank you for marking the misplaced of our room signage on the level 16th. We have contacted the supplier to do the correct placing and that should be done this couple of weeks.

Thank you once again for your constructive review. We hope to see you again soon on board.

Algiers, Algeria
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Excellent service, ambiance, setting and everything in general. The rooms are spacious, comfy and elegant. The entire hotel is beautiful. There are so many many details I could gush over but I will leave at, it is a place that pampers and coddles you while offering intimate encounter with gently rugged beauties of the natural world.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SamiRZ201
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read how you enjoyed your stay and the service you received at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. Thank you for your generous review.

We value that our guests come to us to enjoy well deserved breaks from their daily lives. So to know that our teams were able to offer this to you in the form of gracious service is wonderful to read. Thank you also for highlighting our bedroom and our hotel in general. We are glad that you enjoyed it.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed for only a night, during our transit in JB. It's a pleasant stay, despite the durian smell in the first room we were given, which were replaced quickly by the hotel. It is more convenient to take taxi to get there and if you donot have your own transportation, you could only wonder in the neighbourhood which pretty much got lots of street restaurant, massage parlours, karaoke,etc. There is one small Aeon mall that you could go to as well. Too bad, there is no cinema nearby for us to go to. The gym is good and open 24 hours which is great for gym goers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fenny G
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your kind and considerate review of Renaissance Johor Bahru. I am happy to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us, especially finding out how it is convenient for your to experience local discoveries around the property, making it a worth journey. Thank you for mentioning our fitness center and hotel in general. We are looking forward to welcoming more of guests visiting Renaissance Johor Bahru as a result of your generous recommendation on TripAdvisor.

See you soon.