“Great new hotel”

Ranked #4 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
at Home
“Great new hotel”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The new hotel in JB is lovely. The room was spotless and spacious compared to over the border in Singapore. Well worth the money. The Navigators are amazingly helpful, even with tricky issues (lost bag in a singapore taxi). The location is great as it is out of the main JH hub and is more precefull and relaxing.
All the staff were polite, helpful and friendly at alltimes. Andy in the Chinese resturant has delicious dim sum for all to eat, even if you are not staying in the hotel. Give it a try. The Navigators arrange taxi's for you and this helps avoid any possible language problems (not that this happens much in Malaysia).

Room Tip: We stayed to the left of the lifts with a view over the school grounds acrossthe road. Great views...
1 Thank Annon123459
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel and for recommending us to future travelers to the city of Johor Bahru.

Thank you for making Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel a wonderful hive of relaxation during your few days with us. I am pleased to know that you had experience the serenity ambiance and cozy rest in our bedroom that specially designed provide you with a truly enjoyment. I am also happy that you found out our Navigator being helpful and resourceful in order to help you to living life to discover each and every day during your stay with us. Your comments regarding our buffet and Chinese restaurant as well as our staff’s services were greatly appreciated. We would maintain and improve our services for the satisfaction and happiness of our guests. Your patronage towards Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel is very important to us and we look forward to host you again soon.

Live Life to Discover.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My third stay in this hotel since it's opening.
Perfect for a weekend getaway as it is only 15mins drive for Malaysia custom.
Very impressive front desk managers. Was upgraded to a junior suite and check in was done in less than 15 Mins. The staff was really friendly and my kids lived the pool.
The club Lounge is a must, huge improvement since my last visit. Wide selection of wine and beer.
I'm able to tell that the staff are really trying for improvements. Well done R Ambassador.
Will be back for my forth soon.

4 Thank Anson G
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru. Thank you for providing such a nice compliments about our services. Such comments as yours has really make my day!

I notice that you have been very loyal to our services and has been monitoring every improvement we have achieved since the pre-opening until to date. I hope there will be more of guests who put so much concern on our services, because such review as yours is essential for the success of our Hotel. I put so much faith that our team of Ambassadors are totally committed and that everyone will do their outmost to make this Hotel a huge success.

I hope your forth stay will be execute soon and I couldn't be more happy to host you on your fifth, sixth, seventh and more…. Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel as your second home.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

i stayed for a night last sunday with my family...the location is quiet good because it's away from jb town which we can avoid crowded...the room is clean & nice...no bathtub in the bathroom...there's 40 inch tv & have more than 20+ channel...during the check-in the front desk officer told me about the rate and answered all my questions about the parking and breakfast...what they failed to told me is the rate is not including the govt & service tax...i've only realized it during my check out...they're also asked me if i want a newspaper in the next morning and i said yes i would like to...next morning i noticed i didn't get any newspaper unlike the other room as i walked through the corridor when i was on my way to the breakfast on ground floor...nice breakfast & it's an open kitchen concept...overall i'm satisfied with my stayed here...

1 Thank uninvitedguest82
Dear Guest,

I thank you for providing such a nice review regarding your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that you impress by our location to be quite away from the hustle bustle area is very much appreciated. Our location is very much strategic and easily accessible either for leisure or business. Our Deluxe Room offers stand shower, however the shower is always something that most of our guests love the most. One of an interesting experience, most of them praised. However, our Junior Suite and Pool Terrace Room do offer a comfortable bathtub to satisfy guest’s bath time. Your comments regarding our staffs and our services were greatly appreciated. I am also happy knowing that you have had a good experience on our indigenous buffet. I value your feedback and eager to maintain the quality so I have more and more opportunity to serve you again and again.

singapore
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My 1st R, check -in was slow, was told my room will be ready in 2hrs time, had arrived at 3pm, front desk was not well trained to handle overbooked situation, finally after 20mins, she was able to 'swop' room, room decor was great but no bathtub, Grohe taps though, tv had double vision, repair men came & had it fixed, blamed signal prob, breakfast was ok nice big cafe, enjoyed the nasi lemak & Prata, had asked for a late check out & wish fulfilled at 2pm, pool had the condo feeling sparsely decor, room key was key in lift access which had the privacy element, a short 1-2 day would be good enough, give it time will be a better serviced hotel in the years ahead, paid RM $581 all in with 2 breakfast

• Stayed August 2013
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your staying experience in our property recently. I am happy that you enjoyed our room decoration. The decoration is inspired by a modest sumptuousness design and the nature tone on the coloring and set up has been chosen to bring a relaxing and calm serenity to the room. Our bedroom has been wow-ed by guests who commented that they feel homey when were in the room is something that we are proud of. Our Deluxe Room offering a stand shower, however the Junior Suite and Pool Terrace offering a comfortable bathtub to satisfy your bath time. It was great that our buffet are able to savor your meal and knowing that our room key card is utilize the same way for the lift has giving you a sense of privacy. This policy applied to guarantee the safety and comfort for our guests, which is one of the important role that we like to maintain. Your comment regarding the slow check in process and television problem has been brought up to the meeting and I assure you that our Front Office Manager and Director of Engineering will take all necessary measures to improve their areas.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you.

Lanzarote
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here with my family for three nights. The hotel is new and is still in its soft opening phase. Staff are new, and need a lot of training, with some staff unable to speak good English and do not know how to respond to Guest queries. Other staff over compensate by being overbearing. The Management need to work on staff development. The rooms are adequate however I notice a lot of the new fittings break easily, which is disappointing. Suggest management need to look into the quality. We had room service which was pretty average. When we compare to other hotels from Marriott this hotel needs a lot of work to bring up to the Marriott standard. Concierge lacked local knowledge, when we asked for a local Thai restaurant he did not know any local restaurants. When we booked the taxi to Singapore we also found it had not been done. Breakfast and evening buffet was average. Suggest staff would benefit from visiting Marriott in Miri to see how a buffet is done well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. Thank you for sharing your staying experience in our property recently. I appreciate that you would mind to take some time to write this review and let us know things that we have been good at and things that we need to improve. I couldn't be agree with you that Staff development is very important in order to achieve our service for excellence. An intensive continuous training have been provided to our Ambassador in every level since the beginning in order for everyone to be able to provide the best service as expected. Your comments regarding our buffet will be brought up on our meeting with the Chef in order to improve the qualities and presentation as well as having new variety of dishes to wow you on your next visit to our property.

I apologize knowing that our Navigator unable to provide you with a correct direction or clue about the Thai Restaurants nearby. For your information, The Tera Thai Fine Dine at jalan Abdul Samad or Siam Restaurant at Taman Molek or Carabao at jalan Dato Abdullah Tahir could be list of Thai restaurants that recommended to try on your next visit to Johor Bahru. If you are the fans of Thai foods, I would like to share with you our plan to have an experience Thai Chef on board around the end of this year. Follow us on our Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel facebook to find out our latest promotions and occasions in the house.

Thank you again for your review and I hope I have the honor to host you again in the soonest time and having the opportunity to bring you to discover our improvement.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I simply fathom how this Renaissance can be branded as one given its substandard service levels and poor quality of in-room amenities and furnishings. I would've expected more of a Renaissance given my experience with their hotels as well as its sister brands Courtyard and Marriott. The differentiation among these hotels are significant particularly in service levels and amenities.

I courteously greeted the front office staff but was unfortunately reciprocated by a personal rant from him about how busy his day went. Check-in wasn't as quick as I'd anticipated for a Renaissance. Later I whisked myself up to the room and was at first impressed by its decor but soon after realised the cracks that lurk in this two-month old hotel. From poorly stocked bathroom amentiies (just shampoo and soap) to instant coffee (even Marriott's Sukhumvit hotel uses French press!), and many fleas appearing from the drainage, I shudder at the thought processes that went through the planning of this hotel. Furniture although new have already shown signs of wear.

Breakfast was also of a laughable standard. While seemingly substantial, it most certainly fell short of expectations of a Renaissance. The buffet tables were lined mostly with props while I would liken the spread to what street peddlers hawk. While I understand that Renaissance's proposition is all about helping guests connect to local experiences, I believe there should be a healthy balance between localisation and being world-class.

While I appreciate friendliness in service, I also expect a level of professionalism that reassures as it is dependable.

There certainly is much to be improved on for a Renaissance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EgoTripper
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru. Thank you very much for taking your time to share with us this rave review about your recent stay in our property. I value your feedback and appreciate it very much. Such comments as yours are essential for us to achieve our service for excellence. We are periodically inspecting the rooms and been noted for the damage furniture to be renewed. I am sorry that you have to found out the fleas from the drainage. We have been having the pest control promptly to handle such issue every once a month. But no doubt that we should consider to do the monitoring more often. Our Director of Engineering has been informed and be assured that he will take the necessary measures to improve the area. As for breakfast, I could not understand much of which part it is not quite satisfying for you. Is it the taste, the presentation, or varieties? I couldn't be very happy to get more input in order to improve the services.

Once again, thank you for the feedback. I hope to be able to host you again in the near future, under improved circumstances.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

New hotel but location slightly away from town.
Hotel interiors seem half-done.. or at least that's the feeling we got when we stepped into the lobby area. However, spaces are generous, double volume and all..
Rooms are very pleasant.. perhaps because it's new? Regardless.. ID has a nice tone and concept.. clean lines with dark and light tones. Bedding is very comfortable (very important for any kind of trips!). Bathroom is not luxurious but to my liking.
Hospitality and service level however is not really on par with what I had expected.. staff at check in and check out were very slow and seemed inexperienced.
Won't rule this out but won't stop at this hotel either..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mcmeelo
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, thank you for taking your generous time to write this rave review about our facilities and services during your recent stay with us. Your comment were greatly appreciated in order to help us to be able to serve you better and better. Our location is actually easily accessible from many direction. It took only about 15 minutes’ drive away from Causeway as well as from Kota Bandaraya. The location also easily accessible for guests whose travelling to Pasir Gudang, even EDL highway to ease guests to reach Nusajaya Legoland in just about 30 minutes. I would be proud to introduce you to our Navigator who will help you to find out local discoveries.

I am delighted knowing that you have had a good experience with our bedroom and our comfy bed. In fact our bed has been a good investment and designed to offer our guest an enjoyable and comfortable rest. In the near future, we will be putting some nice plants and paintings to beautify the lobby. Some of things has been sort out and waiting for the delivery. Once everything in place, we believe it would be the most beautiful Hotel’s Lobby in the area and we hope you will be here to amuse the improvement.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.