“Good value in a good hotel!”

The Puteri Pacific Johor Bahru
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed April 4, 2009

- Fairly close to the Johor Bahru immigration hall from Singapore. We walked from immigration to the hotel. The trip is somewhat confusing since there were no direct streets to the hotel - it had to be reached by a circuitous route. The entrance to the hotel was difficult to find as well. The location of the hotel is perfect was walking the town and very close to malls and restaurants.
- The lobby is large and airy. Our check in was fast, easy and friendly. We were asked to have a deposit of MYR50. On checkout we were given a VISA printout with cancellation written on it.
- Our room was very large and comfortable. We were in a non-smoking room. The contents of the mini bar were complimentary and we received a newspaper in the morning. The room had been redone. The bathroom though was aged and in need of renovation. There was some mould and the shower curtain needed changing. Although the room and bathroom were clean, the state of the shower curtain caught us by surprise.
- Breakfast (which was included in our booking) was excellent, although it could have been a little hotter. Very ample selection of dishes both western and Asian.
- The pool area was nicely kept and the pool was quite large. A swim was appreciated given the oppressive heat and humidity of JB.
- JB is not really a tourist town. The hotel tough was a good choice and a fair price.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Canadian079
There are newer reviews for The Puteri Pacific Johor Bahru

Reviewed February 21, 2009

We found the hotel to be super nice - hotels are pretty cheap here compared to Singapore - so we were not expecting much - as their website makes it look okay but you usually assume the reality is less than what you see online. But surprisingly, the hotel is better than their website! The lobby is really nice and quite big - which it does not look online.

The room is a good size with a king size bed.

We were on the 10th floor - a non smoking floor - and our room is an Imperial Deluxe room (around 270 RM per night including breakfast - around $110 aussie dollars) - which is great value we think for being so central. The room is a good size too - around 37sqm.

So has a nice sitting area and a big window which overlooks the State Secretariat Building.

The bathroom is a nice size with a full bath...and a shower stall with great water pressure and temperature control...and a modern toilet...and a reasonable size mirror and vanity area.

And also of the mini bar as everything in the mini bar is free. There are no beer, wine or spirits - you have to order them through room service but quite a few cans of soft drink and 2 bottles of water and a packet of crisps.

The desk area is nice and they have fast internet broadband - for around 56 ringitts for 24 hours.

We decided to try out the Lounge on the fourth floor. There was only one other person there but a woman was singing and a guy playing the piano - so it was quite pleasant. We just had one drink (they only had house wine by the glass - all the better wines were by the bottle) - as the Lounge Bar menu was just a snack menu and nothing really suitable for vegetarians.

So we decided to order Room Service - so they have a fair selection of vegetarian options - so we got the Vegetarian Curry for RM21.00 + 15% - which is about $10 aussie dollars. It was really tasty and it looked very nice too. It came with steamed rice and a poppadum.

So we also ordered their Wild Mushroom Soup and a toasted Fried Egg sandwich. They were great - the soup I must say was one of the best soups I have had in a long while - recommend it highly. The soup was priced at 16RM - about $6.80 AUD.

The sandwich was great too - it was 24RM - which is about $10 AUD - so a very cheap meal and very tasty. It had a fried egg and fresh lettuce and tomato and a really nice mayo on it - so was great and the fries were crisp and hot too - so overall a really great meal.

Okay while I am on about food - they had a really good breakfast setup as well.

So being vegetarians - we are also pleasantly surprised to go to breakfast and have a vast choice - which was certainly the case here. Of course there was fresh fruit, but also soups (including a clear vegetable soup), lots of hot foods including rice dishes and curries and of course danishes and pastries, along with cereals, breads, etc.

So to conclude - this is a great breakfast for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Oh and breakfast was included in the room price.

So overall it was a great stay - we were only there for 2 nights on a Visa run from Bali but it was a very pleasant stay. The staff were all excellent and it had a really nice atmosphere. Reading these other reviews it is hard to believe some of them stayed at the same hotel - we thought it was great and we travel a lot - you expect certain standards in certain countries - so we always rate on what to expect compared to other hotels we have stayed at in similar countries or the same country. Yes it is not a 5 star hotel but for the money it was great value and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller4EverNow
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Definitely not a 5- or even a 4-star hotel. It is well located but that’s about it. This hotel has not been well maintained. The carpet is stained and looks shabby in the rooms as well as in the hallways. Non-smoking rooms smell of smoke. I had booked a Deluxe Princess room. I saw 3 rooms before I was allocated one which appeared slightly better but turned out to have problems as well. The staff were trying to be helpful but there was not much they could do. I was told the hotel was to be renovated soon. I certainly would not recommend this hotel to anyone before its renovation.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed at the suite which was nothing more than 2 rooms linked together - instead of another bed, is a couch. Not much luxury here. For the price definately not worth it. Between Pan Pac and Hyatt - both have very overpriced suites with no added luxuries. Both hotels are very outdated and barely 4 star standards. For great value, I definately recommend the Anugraha suites at Pulai Springs (twice the luxuries at half the price).

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2008

I had a two-night stay at this property in the middle of November, booked through wotif, paid for the Princess deluxe rooms which came with breakfast.
I had previously stayed at this hotel for one night a few years back when it was under the Pan Pacific brand and I think the property has improved slightly in all areas since that time.
When the taxi dropped me off, the porter was ready to assist immediately. The check-in took some time as there seemed to some confusion with my wotif booking, it took about 10 mins to check-in.
The lift and lobby areas were quite impressive, the lobby being very large and spacious. The lifts had a glass exterior where I could get quite a good view of JB town and even towards Singapore while using it.
Only the upper levels required the key card to be slotted into the lift to gain access and this could cause some concerns security-wise for some people. However, I always got the feeling that this hotel had good security and the staff were watching whoever entered the hotel and certainly whoever entered the lifts.
There are also cctvs installed around the hotel which is quite standard in Malaysia.
The best way to describe my room would be that it was medium quality and medium old. The bed didn't provide the support I was looking for and seemed to sag a bit in the middle. However, the room was certainly clean and had a quite standard layout, nothing flashy or unusual.
A major problem with the rooms is that they don't appear to offer the required level of soundproofing, I could hear noise from the other rooms quite easily, this was the case in the princess deluxe rooms area anyway. On the second night of my stay, there were a few very noisy children next door and I could really hear their noise quite clearly even at 1am in the morning, when I was supposed to be already asleep. To me, this is a major weakness because if an appropriate environment isn't provided for sleep, then of what function is the hotel?
The location of this hotel is very central, it's probably the only hotel right in central JB which is a quality property. There are room views of central JB and also towards the Singapore woodlands area. Shopping at city square is very closeby, I just took a shortcut across the covered walkway opposite the Public Bank building and then across the overhead walkway towards City Square. Once I'd entered city square shopping this way, there were some nice eateries including one chinese restaurant and a pasta/steak place. City square also has some nice eateries in the basement area and on the top level. Overall, it's not too different from the sort of shopping centre you could expect to find in Singapore. Speaking of Singapore, I had an unpleasant encounter with a Singaporean male staying the next room with his wife and daughter. While we were walking towards our rooms, he seemed to glare at me for no reason, which was very unsettling, typical Singaporean paranoia in my opinion. Understandable, in a way, JB is slightly a dangerous city and has been known as a sin city for some time but it's clear as day that this is mainly due to Singaporeans making it that way. It is, on the whole, quite a good city for some good cuisine and even shopping. It's important to not be taken aback by the horror stories that the paranoid, if not hypocritical, may tell.
Relating further to Singapore, this hotel could be quite a good option for those wishing to avoid higher rates in Singapore, the Kotaraya II central bus and taxi terminal is a short walk away and from there it's possible to catch buses and taxis to central Singapore. The bus would only cost RM2.5 and the taxi RM40. It's quite a short way to the causeway.
However, the room noise issue can't be ignored.
The breakfast came with the room package, the variety was certainly there but the food was a bit too fatty for my liking and there were only a few suitable dishes for me, I ended up eating mostly fruit.
Overall, it was a good quality property but the soundproofing issue really let this hotel down.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank perryw
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Puteri Pacific is by far the better hotel we stayed in Johor. We even had a free upgrade to the next better room (thanks!).

The room is well-appointed spacious, the air-conditioning works well, the bathroom was comfortably large.

We had a good tennis game at the court. The court was well maintained. One gripe I had was the RM30 charge for after 7pm versus RM20 charge for before 7pm. I don't see why the need to charge extra RM10? Keep it simple - charge RM20 flat and don't penalised people playing in the evening. The extra lighting is really not significant considering the entire hotel's lighting needs.

Some NEGATIVE things which we noticed for this trip were:
(1) The comforter/blanket looked tired and old (but clean).
(2) The lobby reeked of cooking oil from the newsroom cafe during the dinner time (buffet) This is a serious oversight of the management. Nearby restaurant, the gym on 2nd level suffer from this exhaust problem. Really should eradicate this problem.
(3) Another issue is the manpower resourcing. While having dinner at the Paolo restaurant on a Friday night, food took a good 30+min to arrive (I made order for 2 dishes only). Staff told me that they are seriously short-handed in the kitchen, but I don't buy this explanation. You don't expect customer to "understand" your problem. You solve the problem and don't affect customers with your problem.
(4) The sports and recreation extension #5 is perpetually not manned and left ringing, so I had to go down personally to the centre to make bookings. Not professional.
(5) Breakfast's variety is average and the standard has dropped from my previous visit; sausages are sub-standard with tinge of sourness and not very firm; fried kuay teow are all stuck together. All the not lost, though. I LOVE the fish porridge with the cordiments :)

Now, the POSITIVE part of my stay! I still like the place because of the following:
(1) Proximity to shopping centres nearby (City Square, Jusco, Danga City Mall etc). There are lots of opportunity for a good shop, cheap and nice food and spend time with family/spouse.
(2) Front desk service is good and courteous. Check-in was a breeze.
(3) Rooms are clean, spacious and quality furnishing - not the dingy squeaking type you find in some places.
(4) Professional and helpful service personnel - I had a electrical bulb burst and a black-out (protection circuit triggered) in my room. Room keeping, service staff took the initiative to report the problem and the repairman came promptly, replaced quickly and in a well-mannered way.
(5) Concierge was helpful in getting a cab to go around town.
(6) Was given a room upgrade, and free soft drinks and snacks in the fridge, free newspaper every morning.

I would recommend for a short stay in Johor Bahru, although I would request the management to do something about my negative observations to improve the hotel :)

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ogenkidesu
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We went there for a short trip on weekend. After a long drive journey, we were too tired to go out and grab our lunch so we decided to have in-room dining. We have tried calling the services for more than an hour! Direct line, through operator and also the reception line!
The food is more worst that the calling service! The prawn in my meal was smelly, the crab ball also taste weird and smell so bad. Overall the in-room dining food quality was shockingly bad! Beside the bad exprience with the meal, the room was comfortable and cosy. Clean sheet, bathroom and overall room area is spotless.
I wish they will do something with the in-room dining service.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business