All reviews holiday plaza polo lounge new wing deluxe room shopping mall room service chinese restaurant other hotels parking space coffee house club floor pleasant stay big room nasi lemak non smoking room housekeeping staff front office
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

Arrived and attended by the friendly and helpful bell staff. The check-in process was quite slow but still okay especially the front desk staff was efficiently attended guest.
Parking is available and location is near to most of the food outlets.
The stay was excellent and my family are satisfied with the stay. Will definitely recommend and come again next time. Keep up the good hospitality and service. Cheers!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank Siti S
Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

This latest stay has been the worst out of all my stays here. For info on the frequency I have stayed, pls scroll below for more details so make your choice wisely.

The hotel is incapable of running at full house occupancy.

1. yellow filthy water that flows out from the taps and shower heads. This shows the inability of the hotel infrastructure (water pumps) to support full house occupancy. Or the lack of maintenance.

2. Breakfast queues are as long as
30mins; have had to queue at various breakfast timings 8.15 m and 9.20am.

3. Told they could only provide 1 bath towel because they were running at full occupancy, when I requested for 2 additional bath towels as my children has soiled 2 of the existing. Ohh, and the housekeeping
staff demanded to have the 2 soiled bath towels as "proof" and because they needed the towels back to wash immediately?
I gave it to them. Such a joke.
Never encountered a good sized hotel who has done all the above to hotel guests.

4. terrifically rude mediocre front desk and housekeeping staff members.
Booked 2 rooms and while the check in time was at 3pm, they could only release 1 room, claiming the other room was not made up.

Fair enough, the front desk informed that she will request for housekeeping to clean up and make uo the room. The time that this conversation was held, was at 2.15-2.25pm therabouts.

I was also informed that she will do her best to get the room ready by 3pm. Fair enough .

Meanwhile, with 2 tired kids and a ill parent, we tried to rest a little first while waiting for the second connecting room.

Every 10mins, we would open the door to check but there were no housekeeping staff doing the said turnover of the room next to us.

We finally called the front desk at 3pm asking if the room is ready.

A Malay lady at the front desk answered our call, and said housekeeping is still working in the room?!. We replied, no there is no staff member in the room at all. The same front desk staff actually replied the following:"I'm telling you there is. And my operations director said so and I believe him... "
Needless to say , we hung up on her. It was a very unprofessional response from the front desk, bodering on being rude. It carried connotations that the hotel guests are not to be believed.

In any case, had the front desk not been rude and presumptous, and took seriously the words of the hotel guests, I believed there could have been timely resolution of this issue.

In the end, they had to trouble their director of housekeeping and director of operations to clear the mess that their foot soldeirs staff members had created.

Fyi, to help set the context of this review, previously stayed at this hotel several times since year 2014. An average of 2 nights stay per trip and an average of 3 stays per year.

This hotel used to provide really good service and while the exterior looks rundown, the rooms are all of good size, the beds relatively comfortable. And for family short trip, this hotel used to meet our needs.

As such, despite being spilt coffee on a shirt on previous trips, and issues such as unavailability of room and the quality of the breakfast, we returned time and again, only because of its previous service levels.

This time round, service has been atrocious. Not sure if we will return buy I advise all potential visitors to consider all the above if booking. At least, book this hotel with eyes open.

This latest trip, however

Stayed: September 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank wendtlow
Reviewed August 27, 2018

The exterior of the hotel looks run down, however the lobby has been upgraded and looks modern. We were assigned the deluxe room with 2 queen beds on the smoking level, had a nice view of the city. The hotel is located 5 min walk to KSL City & 2 min walk to Holiday Plaza. Overall a good stay in Mutiara.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for business. Everyday I went out and not all staff were always smiling.

Buffet dinner was cold.
And, note, I asked a lady (wearing a black suit) if I can have a la carte menu but she said they didn’t have. Prior to that, I already checked their a la carte menu and have decided to go to my room just make myself comfortable.

So, I had the buffet but more likely, most of the food served are cold, no staff to slice a big fish, and they’ve already grilled the lamb so it’s cold. When I asked them to reheat, there was a hesitation. Who would like to eat a fatty cold lamb?

After I ate my dinner, there was a new guest who stepped inside the restaurant and they were holding the a la carte menu.

I asked another staff if they serve a la carte (that night) and she answered yes adding that they usually offer the buffet to guests first. I understood this but saying they didn’t offer the a la carte is just unfair (especially with the cold food experience). I would say though that there are many variations of food during the buffet dinner, so if you’re a "heavy" eater, this place may suit you with just a 92 rm price.

The following day, I came from a meeting outside and when I returned to my room, it wasn’t cleaned yet.

Next day, food wasn’t served during breakfast. I asked for an egg omelette at 8:00 and there wasn’t a line of people wanting to order eggs.

It took an egg omelette a long time to be cooked. Maybe because a guest like me was wearing shorts and slippers that they didn’t want to hear my order. A restaurant (seri mutiara) staff in a black suit trying to argue with a guest.

Pool staff is timid. Just standing behind the counter, much more focused on something else than talking to a guest asking questions. No locker was given. Also, it’s disgusting to see people swimming with their trousers and belts when it’s already said on the rules that it’s not allowed. HYGIENE is not their priority.

Pool’s floor looks dirty and rusty. The light’s also protruding from the wall (not sure if this is a design). Guests are also responsible for carrying their preferred bed (mattress) since it’s not done by the hotel’s staff.

A few positive things I noticed and experienced at the hotel:

- They’ve got a business center where you can use a desktop computer, printer and photocopy (with fee).
- the Chinese restaurant’s food on the 1st floor is outstanding. I recommend the tofu...
- Some staff at the reception are friendly.
- nice room

Generally, I would say I am sad disappointed when I left this hotel. It depends on what you wear that they will pay you so much respect. Wearing slippers, shorts, and a simple t-shirt won’t make you any good so you need to show-off...

Stayed: August 2018, traveled solo
Mario I, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2018

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us recently and we are grateful that valued guest like yourself have taken precious time to provide feedback. Meanwhile, we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused. We have taken note of your comments and would do our utmost to provide better quality services and we shall look forward to your next visit soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

My first impression when I saw the hotel from afar was "oh no seems a bad choice". The coat of paint on the building was severely weathered and it looked like it has aged tremendously. I feared the worst. However, the hotel lobby changed my perception, it was still clean and not as dated as I think it would be.

Got a suite for a night and i accomodated the four of us fairly well. For the price I had no issues regarding it.

Breakfast was okay, special mention for the lontong and especially the prata station, seeing it made in front of you really make you salivate for more!

The staff was attentive and friendly, did not catch your names but you know who you are.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
Mario I, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2018

Dear guest,
We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel, and we would like to thank you for letting us know it with your review. Meanwhile, we will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations and we shall look forward to your next visit soon. Kind regards.