An interesting find while checking out hotels in Johor Bahru especially because of what the family room offers i.e. a separate section with double-decker beds for the kids. If I remember correctly, there was an online offer then.
1. SERVICE & AMENITIES
Not much of an issue checking in. Counter staff were friendly enough.
Having driven in from Singapore, parking was a tad challenging as it was the Chinese New Year weekend then and there were not very many lots available. Only outdoor, unshaded lots were available.
Overall, the hotel looked and felt a bit old-ish e.g. furniture, decoration etc. Had a bit of a tired feel about it.
The adult swimming pool was decent enough, but the kids paddling pool, OMG, was comparable to a large in-built circular basin! One of the most pathetic things about the otherwise decent experience we had there.
The buffet breakfast was delicious and quite a wide spread of local favourites as well as international dishes like nasi lemak, roti canai, sausages etc.
Hotel front-desk offers a decent selection of PSP game DVDs you can loan out to play in your room.
The lift lobby looks like a scene right out of a circa 80s shot. Red carpeting, Cane furniture and dumbcane plants.
The family room we booked was quite large and clean when we arrived. So was the adjoining bathroom; clean but basic-looking with a decent set of guest kit e.g. toothpaste etc.
There was a complementary, albeit sad-looking, fruit platter available near the sofa. The bananas were bruised and over-ripe.
Two sets of robes and bedroom slippers were provided in the wardrobe, together with a few hangers, a safe, an ironing board and an iron. Towels could also be found there. Have always wondered about the wisdom of those small safes, the sort not fixed to anything in particular, which perseverent robbers or the kleptomaniac cleaning staff could really just carry off if they had wanted to. I'm just saying is all...not saying that the staff were that! But sure, the safe was available too.
The kids immediately took to the kids section of the room with the double decker beds. Tastefully furnished with nice nature-themed wallpaper and border, together with a matching clock which didn't work soon after we checked in (but I'll let that detail slide) and other decorative accents like the framed butterflies and the ladybug night lights, the kids were delirious with excitement deciding on which bed was theirs.
The beds come complete with soft toys which should have come with some sort of note of assurance as to their cleanliness. But appreciated how much pains they took to ensuring that the theme of the kids section was maintained i.e. nature - one was a ladybug and the other was a frog. I really liked that. The bedspread though, looked like they've been around for 20 years or so - very faded but clean. I mean, there's only so far you should take the real home feel about with a hotel, right?
3. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
Rather blah surroundings made even blah-rer by the fact that it was CNY and most everything was closed. Opposite the hotel, there was a line of car-washes modeled out of terrace houses - something which you would never find in Singapore I'm sure! =P Holiday Plaza shopping centre right beside the hotel didn't have much halal food selections except for Pizza Hut and KFC.
There were shuttle services to the more popular shopping areas like Danga Bay etc, but it seems like an unpopular service as it was run only when needed not like a regular service, The staff were even a bit surprised, but polite nonetheless, that I had asked about it.
An ok stay albeit a bit overpriced for a somewhat old hotel with a not-so-fantastic location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideal for corporate and leisure travellers, Mutiara Johor Bahru has 336 well-appointed rooms and suites. Hotel provides WIFI, Pressreader digital-online reads, in-room complimentary coffee and tea and shuttle to selected shopping centres. It is about 15 minutes from the Causeway to Singapore and 40 minutes from the Senai International Airport. There are function halls for up to 500 persons, three restaurants and a lounge with live band, 24-hour room service, Executive Club Floor, business centre, laundry, florist, outdoor pool, gymnasium and lobby shopping arcade. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Mutiara Johor Bahru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mutiara Hotel Johor Bahru