“Standard business hotel”

Ranked #10 of 111 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Liverpool
“Standard business hotel”
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Stayed in hotel for a few days for work in August. Hotel is clean and tidy and has a couple of good restaurants and a bar with live entertainment.

Rooms are modern and a good size but are let down by the fact that there is only internet connection available in the lobby (or there was while I was there). Not very helpful for checking emails and working later on at night.

Breakfast was okay - good selection of food and drinks. Service was good but not as friendly as in other Malaysian hotels I've stayed in.

Fitness centre is pretty rundown and not many machines, pool area is clean but could do with a bit of modernisation.

Overall was okay - would stay there again but its nothing to write home about. On a positive note the beds were really comfortable!

• Liked — Bedrooms - clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Tatty fitness centre and lack of internet in rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 26, 2008

the most popular hotel in jb and most of the time it was fully booked. been there for few times and the room is nice but a bit 'gloomy'. but nothing much to complain and the buffet breakfast was great, a lot of high quality food and choices.

location is great too, next to the famous holiday plaza and a lot of restaurant and food stall within walking distance. since it is located on the main road, getting a taxi is easy but dont really expect them to use the meter.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — always fully booked
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 18, 2008

I stayed here for 2 nights. I did not read any of the reviews for this hotel prior to checking in.

For the rate I was given I was pleasantly satisfied. I stayed in the deluxe room. It was spacious and the beds of decent size. The room was clean with the carpet, furniture and other amenities in good condition. I liked the toilet, not too small, not dark and the shower was nice with a single temperature controlled knob where you don't have to mix hot and cold water to get the right temperature.

Service was good. Checking in and out was a breeze. Instead of different extensions for different service the hotel had a one stop call center to cater for any needs. I requested an iron with an ironing board and got in quickly. And I could use as long as I wanted.

The breakfast was pretty good not only in choice but taste too. And there was a different selection each morning.

I had a rental car and parking within the hotel compound was not a problem as there was ample of lots.

There is a shopping plaza next to the hotel. Nothing exciting and it was a dull and dim shopping plaza.

If I'm ever going to Johor Bharu again, I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Liked — The room and breakfast
  • Disliked — No internet access in the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Aslan A
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed December 27, 2006

We stayed at The Mutiara in our recent trip to JB. Although rated as 4*, we don't think it is really that.
We booked our rooms through the hotel website. I was not sure why but I did not get a confirmation from the hotel for our booking. After several enquiries only then I got a reply and the tone of the staff that attended to my e-mails was not very good. The hotel had a promotion with free shuttle service to the Senai airport, and this person told me to provide the flight details to her only when closer to our date of stay. I did exactly that in the first week of December 2006, and again had no response at all. I sent several mail to other contact addresses available from the hotel website, and finally I got a reply from the same person and boy, she was rude. She told me in the email that she has replied to me and that the shuttle service was completely out for the two days that we would be there. That was very frustrating because she would not take our flight details two months earlier, then when I provided the details to her as told, she just said the service was no available without explaining the reason. I tried to book elsewhere but as it was getting too close to our date of travel, I decided in the end that we would have to stay put with the Mutiara, whether we liked it or not.
What did happen during our stay there was, on our day of leaving for the airport, we called the "one-stop" centre of the hotel to order a pizza for the kids. The room menu stated that delivery time would be 20 minutes. After waiting for more than 30 minutes, I called to check on the status of our order. First I was told the waiting time would actually be about 40 to 45 minutes, then I was told the pizza was ready and it was on its way to us. Waited another 15 minutes or so before calling, and about 5 minutes later a waiter came in with our pizza. Having put down the pizza, this waiter started telling me and my husband that he knew we have called "many" times to chase for the order ( twice, to be exact ) and he wanted us to know the order and delivery procedure, and he went on and on. It was clear from his facial expression that he was telling us off for chasing for the order !
I though the behaviour of these staff reflects badly on a 4* establishment. It is unlikely that we would go back to this hotel. Other than the service attitude, the conditions of the room are actually quite dated and due for a major make-over. The one plus point about the hotel is its close proximity to a shopping complex, the Holiday Plaza.

• Liked — Its proximity to a shopping complex
  • Disliked — The unfriendly service attitude encountered
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank LemonJane
San Diego
Reviewed July 14, 2006

We stayed at the Mutiara in June, 2006 and the staff were very friends and courteous and went above and beyond their duties. When I asked the front desk manager if the restaurant could prepare a special non-menu item, he promptly called the chef and arranged the meal. We later found out that the hotel were catering to a Rotary Club meeting which included a visit from the Crown Prince of Johor and as such the kitchen staff would have been very busy. My congratulations to an extremely well run and friendly hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank jancowan
Malaysia
Reviewed September 26, 2005

I have been to this hotel at least 3 times. The new wing has larger rooms for the same rate compared to the old wing. Rooms are nicely furnished, very clean and comfortable. The concierge is particularly helpful and friendly. The only downside is, if you are driving, parking can be a bit difficult especially after a night out since parking is a little limited. However, taxis are easily available and the location which is next to a shopping mall makes it convenient for shopping or eating at the various restaurants there.

• Stayed December 2004