“Good Business Hotel”

Mutiara Johor Bahru
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Very nice hotel, with good restaurants, services, and internet service. I originally stayed at the Amansari, but moved to the Mutiara at the recommendation of my driver.

It needs to be understood that Johor Bahru is to Singapore as Tiajuana is to San Diego. It is a city of 1.3 Million people. Infrastructure is ok, but traffic can be horrendous.

The hotel is within walking distance (10 minutes) of a large mall, with a supermarket, lots of restaurants, and a cineplex.

Room Tip: make sure to ask for a room on the side away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at Mutiara Johor Bahru. We appreciate your positive comments during your recent stay and we would be delighted to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Booked the superior room via Agoda. Almost paid for an extra bed but decided to wait until I got to the hotel itself. Arrived about 10am. They didn't have a room ready as yet but the staff ensured that I got one ASAP and with 2 queen beds. Such a nice gesture! Managed to get a room by 11am.

The room itself is spacious and clean. Has a bathtub. We ordered room service on the 2nd night as we just got back from Legoland and didn't have the energy to dine out. Food came quite fast and is delicious too.

Would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank MazBakar
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your kind comments are much appreciated. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back soon to our 'home-away-from-home comfort'.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband I have stayed in many different hotels in JB and Mutiara is definitely the best!  We love their carpark which is just right in front of the hotel. We were allocated to Room 820 facing the floor of the hotel hence, we have no issue with the noise from the railways. The room was spacious with nice decor and surprisingly, very clean. We were very impressed with the full set of toiletries given which even include nail filer and detergent that even most 5-star hotel do not provide. There was also a complimentary fruit plate provided. It was my husband's birthday, and several of the hotel staff came up to our room with a surprise birthday cake, a card and drinks and even sang a birthday song to my husband. We were so amazed by their wonderful service! The management has shown that they are really willing to go the extra miles to please their customers. My husband and i are grateful for their kind effort and well wishes. Not forgetting to mention that the cake was delicious too! Honestly, we have nothing to complain and we had a very satisfactory stay. But we would like to make some suggestions for further improvement. One of the disappointment is the baby wading pool. It is very small and seems to be neglected. I intended to bring my baby for a swim but changed my mind after seeing the pool. Secondly, there was a musty smell in the room perhaps some better room perfume or refreshener  could be used to freshen up the room. Thirdly, is the buffet breakfast. The choice was quite limited and didn't look very appetizing as well. The porridge was cold and egg shells could be found in the scrambled egg.  Lastly, we feel that in order for the hotel to achieve service excellence, the service attitude from the front office staff might need to be improved. We realized that none of the receptionist that we met upon checking In or out greeted or smiled back to us. And from a little observation we noticed that most of the receptionist behaved the same way. This certainly would not reflect well of the hotel. On the other hand, besides the receptionist, in fact everyone else that we have met during our stay including the technician man whom we met on the corridor was very friendly. Nevertheless these minor hiccups, would not stop us from returning to Mutiara. My husband and I are almost certain that Mutiara would be our first choice in our future visits to JB.

• Stayed: January 2013
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at Mutiara Johor Bahru. Your positive comments are appreciated. Meanwhile, we will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations and we sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is situated in an area that looks rather a run down housing area of JB. The row of shop houses of Jalan Dato Sulaiman consists mainly of several budget motels, several motorbike repair shops, a thai massage parlour. Just next to the hotel is a shopping mall, though looking equally run down. However, it does have several fast food joints (KFC & McD), Parkson departmental store and enough outlets to spend a couple of hours in it should you have that amount of time to spare and you don't feel like going anywhere further.

Checking in was an experience itself. We arrived from KL (4hours driving) around 4pm and was told by a pretty-but-hardly-smile staff that our room(2 queen beds room) was not ready. She gave an assurance that the room will be ready in an hour time. So we decided to checked out the property which in Christmas mood. As nothing much to offer, my wife decided to ask about the status from the staff and she told us that she will be giving us another guest's room which was ready! Why dont she give the room immediately??? Funny :-)

Rooms are spacious and well organized. Only problem there was no separate shower/bath tub. This will floods the floor easily. Breakfast was good and varied with both dietary requirements and appetite. Parking is uncovered but quite safe.

To sum up, staying in Mutiara JB is pleasant albeit minor problem which i think can rectify thru proper training.

1  Thank sanyALGER
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our hotel and your comments are much appreciated. Rest assured, we will continue to strive for better quality services. Meanwhile we will be glad to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Check in on 22/12-24/12.
I have a pleasant stay in Mutiara Hotel.The hotel is clean and it located near shopping centre as well as spa.Holiday Plaza is just beside the hotel and KSL resort/mall just 10 min walking distance.The staff are friendly and helpful.On the second day I was sick and can't even walk,I called for assistant and the staff immediately went up to my room with wheelchair and bring me to the nearby clinic,and bring me back to the hotel again.I was pleased with their service and they were very efficient.That goes to their room service too,they are good.

For room wise,housekeeping can be say quite poor.My room is deluxe twin,when I check in my room,the bed is so untidy,the bedsheet is not properly tucked as well as the pillows.No tissue box on the table accept in the toilet.No bathrobe,no slipper and no praying matt(for muslim).Can't find door matt at that time,on 2nd day then realise it's on the upper side of the toilet bowl.

For shop within the hotel,it sucks cause it's open around 11.30am and mostly closed at 9.00-10.30pm.By the time i came back, it's already close.The lounge too closed at 1.00am.And the swimming pool close at 9.00pm.Overall I just not satisfy with the open and closing time of the hotel facilities/amenities.

Overall besides everything,I really like the hotel.Oh ya the room is spacious.The staff is great.

P.S.Hope Mutiara hotel do have internet cafe .Cause the wifi is not working at all.24 hour Billiard or Snooker.

1  Thank Dyalonsy

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I only have 2 words to describe this hotel. Ultimate disappointment.

My sister recommended me to stay there as she said that the service is good and the rooms are spacious. Therefore, I heeded her advise n stayed there on 15 Dec for 1 night.

I made the reservation on their website for a Superior Twin. As we have a total of 2 adults and 2 kids, and according to their website it should have 2 Queen Size beds. Therefore, I booked it approximately 2 weeks before my stay, and was quite impressed that they send a 2nd confirmation a day before my check-in which even some 5-stars hotel I stayed beforw doesn't have such services.

However, the day when I check-in to the hotel at 3.05pm, I was told the room was not ready n have to wait for another 30mins. I demanded an explanation from the staff as it was stated that the check-in time is AT 3pm, but the staff said it should be AFTER 3pm. I told her it was ridiculous! What if the after 3pm I have to wait until 4 or 5pm?? I made a big fuss at the reception counter, and the staffs there obviously doesn't know or even wasn't train how to handle any dispute customer. They keep asking me to wait for their Duty Manager. Ok fine, I waited....and waited....and waited....until 10-15mins and no Duty Manager came or even my room was still not ready! So I told my husband I doesn't want to waste my time anymore and we left our luggage at the hotel reception counter and was given a number tag.

We returned back to the hotel at 9.30pm and the check-in was very fast and efficient. And then, my anger came back again when I saw my room was a SUPERIOR KING. I called the Reception Counter and make the enquiry and was told that I requested for a King Size bed. When the hell did I made any request AT ALL! I screw up the staff again and as usual they pushed the responsibility to the Duty Manager and said there is nothing they can do. Then the Duty Manager keep saying that I did not make any request when I do a reservation online. But isn't it obvious that a Superior Twin should consists of 2 beds and a Superior King consists of 1 big bed?? But fine. They can't changed my room as their rooms are all fully booked. So kind enough for the Duty Manager to provide me with an extra bed and a baby cot at no extra charges.

But seriously, the Hotel Management should provide more trainings for their staff of how to handle such cases and not just pushing it to the Duty Manager. When I was making a big fuss at the counter, all the staffs were avoiding and doesn't dare to come near us to resolve the issue. They even avoided eye contact with me. I wouldn't say the staffs are rude, but they should really learn how to handle such customers. The hotel is very value for money, and I wouldn't fault anything wrong about the hotel in terms of cleanliness, amenities, etc. But the staffs really need room for improvement and I mean there are still way ahead things they should learn.

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank h0christin3
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

We sincerely apologized for the inconvenience that you have experienced. Corrective measures have been taken to improve on hotel’s services and we are grateful that valued guest like yourself have taken precious time to provide feedback. We believe nothing is more important than regaining the trust of our guest, and all of us hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome and serve you again.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in Dec 2012. Took the 7th Floor Deluxe King Room in Tebrau Wing as we had 2 kids with us. Room was large and comfortable with a view of JB suburbs. Though it is right next to a railway track, we hardly heard any noise. Stay was comfortable. The heater system in the bathroom comes with a childlock. Their bed was soft and blankets kept us warm.

The hotel is a 5mins drive to the JB city centre, where it is more happening. And the main road leading to the hotel (Jalan Dato Sulaiman) gets congested during peak hours. The hotel is surrounded by terrace houses, shopping malls and food court, all contributing to the congestion. The food stalls and ATM machines are just within walking distance. There is also KFC and MCDonalds outlets nearby.

Customer service however can be improved. Though we arrived by 3pm (check-in time) we were allowed in only at 4.20pm. We were asked to go for lunch first. All we wanted to do was freshen up after a 5-hour journey. There was no apology and explanation. So we walked out for lunch - we didn't receive any call to inform us that the room was ready although we left our numbers. When we returned from lunch, we waited another 10 mins. The least we expected was a welcome, but none was offered.

The hotel does not have a children's pool. There is however one small toddler pool. The internet service is not free; it is RM10 for one hour. Room service is fast and efficient. Their toiletries include comb, sewing kit and shaver. You can access Singapore TV channels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

We are delighted to have you stayed with us recently. We have taken note of your comments and will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations. Meanwhile, we sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.