J Hotel(Johor Bahru)(Great Value!)
$18
$73
$71
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Thistle Johor Bahru(Johor Bahru)
$79
$56
Agoda.com
Tune Hotel Danga Bay(Johor Bahru)(Great Value!)
$23
$77
$70
Trip.com
$90
$72
Agoda.com
Bliss Boutique Hotel(Johor Bahru)(Great Value!)
$34
$20
Priceline
$441
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsholiday plazapolo loungenew wingshopping malldeluxe roomroom servicechinese restaurantother hotelsparking spacecoffee houseclub floorpleasant staybig roomnasi lemaknon smoking roomhousekeeping stafffront office
Reviewed May 1, 2012

All hotels have problems, everyone makes mistakes. The best professionals acknowledge their problems and mistakes and fix them.

My check-in at the Mutiara JB would make anyone pick up their bags and look for a room at the new hotel across the street. My company had pre-paid my stay so I just followed the off-hand directions to the lift and mentally started drafting my report to the travel staff back home.

On my way I was cheerfully greeted by a suited gentleman with the front office manager's badge on his jacket. I took the opportunity to provide some on-the-spot customer feedback. He was clearly taken aback by what I told him and he personally led me to my room, apologising all the way.

He turned arund a bad situation and made it better. The rest of my stay was comfortable and pleasant. The hotel is an "aging" property, but it is aging gracefully and still offers all the key services and amenities of a business hotel.

With the exception of the check-in experience, I found the staff to be friendly, helpful and professional.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We appreciate that you have taken the effort to provide feedback and rest assured, we will not disappoint the next time you check-in to Mutiara Johor Bahru. We sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Firstly if you are staying in JB is must be because you have to, as its not a place you would chose to stay at for pleasure ! Got upgraded to an executive room, very spacious,comfy bed. Suprised there was no seperate shower, so its a stand in the shower and hold the hose affair !
Nice pool area, very welcoming on a hot afternoon, it was deserted, every time I used it. There is a train track directly behind the hotel so ask for a front room. TV - chronic ! Only one english channel repeating the same old stuff! I now know all about Kevlar and why aeroplane tyres dont burst on landing (in great detail!!!)
Breakfast buffet , good choice of food. I took my second cup of coffee up to my room after breakfast so I could drink whilst getting ready for work, when I went downstairs to leave I was accosted/treated like a criminal and told that I wasnt allowed to take a cup of coffee up to my room- what a load of rubbish that is ! Also this prides itself on being a business hotel so why the daily internet fee then - very outdated !! A few tips on JB. This was my first trip here single woman business traveller. Arrived at Larkin bus station, first time I havent felt safe in Malaysia, the taxi drivers surround you and tell you that all the other taxi drivers are robbers and liars and dont go with them ! Apparently ive learnt since there are lots of cab drivers from Larkin that drive passengers out of town , rob then dump them. The fare should be no more than 10-20 myr, Larkin to Mutiara, or from Senai airport 25/30myr. Holiday Plaza next to hotel, not great, Mc Donald and Kfc, lots of cheap shops , chemist and very expensive not so great fake handbags etc. Cant wait to get over the causeway to the safety of Singapore, cant believe the difference in the two places considering they are so close! On the whole JB is not a safe place so be aware of bag snatching and take your jewellery off in public. Wont be back !

Room Tip: Front rooms quieter due to train track at rear.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at Mutiara Johor Bahru. Your positive comments are appreciated. Meanwhile, we will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations and we sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

after viewing the photos and found mushroom n cockroach.. we were all worries that we might face the same scene or maybe worst.
But we were relief to find the room quite clean but still dusty.. because my roommate was busy sneezing away once we step into the room.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have known this hotel since i was bachelor 18 yrs ago. It has remained the same extrenally though much refurbishment were done since for the rooms and lounges..Though I am staying in the JB town,off and on my family and I will just stay for one night for fun. We love the food spread of this hotel especially during Ramadan time..It is so good for JB standard so much so any function involving dinner ,many johorian will flock to attend it. The only problem is the limited parking spaces in the hotel especially during wedding seasons and weekends.
The room especially Tebrau room ...is really spacious and has all the necessary comfort and amenities.One of the thing i love was tap system which i photograph to compliment the management for making effort to ease one to decide the temperature of bath water..the rest has been commented especially location wise.
Enjoy your stay

Room Tip: The newer tebrau room is good..
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your positive comments and it is always a pleasure to serve loyal patrons such as yourself, to whom we owe the success of this establishment. We sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Location of hotel - Very good as it was situated right beside holiday plaza and 5-10mins walk to KSL... Less than RM10 if you take a cab to Pelangi and City Square Mall.

Check in/Check out - Reached the hotel and 2pm, waited till 3pm before i got a room. Check out took only 5minutes....

Rooms - I've asked for a quiet room as i am a light sleeper. Room719 @ Tebrau Wing was allocated to me. There was a railway track in front of the room so i could hear/feel when train passed by + a soft honk when it pulls out..... Not so happening for me when it happens around 5am or so in the morning........

Room is spacious... They provide everything from toothbrush to washing powder but no cotton pad or cotton buds...... Air con is a bit loud......

For those who are traveling with kids, it is a must to check the sliding glass of the full length window... I seriously did not check mine and my 5yr old son came telling me that he can open the sliding glass. I thought he was joking.. I mean, shouldn't it be locked unless you unlock it ??? He's definitely not tall enough to unlock it. So i decided to check it out with him and there, he slide open the glass door. There's a sticker there which says - Do not open the window, open at your own risk. I wonder how many kids are able to read that and follow the instruction..... It is definitely our responsibility to ensure our kids does not open the window but why is it unlock in the first place ?

I cannot imagine if this happens to younger kids or kids who still doesn't have sense of danger. A holiday may lead to tragedy....... I'm thankful this happened when we were about to check out...... If it happens not long after i'm in the room, i may consider checking out immediately....

My experience with Mutiara was generally ok until this incident.......

Additional info - Internet access is chargeable at RM10 per hour or RM25 for whole day. Transportation to Premium Outlet, KSL and etc available but need 24hours booking in advance which i thought was ridiculous as KSL or Pelangi are just so near...

Paid RM245(including taxes) with internet for Weekend Package A (without breakfast) Deluxe King Room.

Room Tip: Rooms facing railway track are not suitable for light sleepers...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ee Von L
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at Mutiara Johor Bahru. We are truly grateful that valued guest like yourself have taken precious time and effort to provide feedback and rest assured, we will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations. Meanwhile we sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.