“Great staycation!”

Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
singapore
“Great staycation!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Check in was a fast and smooth one. Staffs talking in proper and good english. Explained well. Room was a bit small considering we had a toddler running around but thats fine. Very clean room, looks brand new. Only thing no bathtub but thats probably coz we took a superior room? Breakfast was just awesome and dinner too. Staffs were good an very customer service oriented. Love the bar by the pool too. Too bad cant spend too much time at the pool due to the bad weather. Thanks for the great service! Hopefully will be bck again.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I paid RM284++ for the night of 5 Feb, which comes up to around SGD120, so I'm comparing with 3-star hotels in SG that came in similar price range.

Location wise, it is near the customs and indeed a 5-min drive from the causeway. Taking a cab or bus should not take much longer. The hotel is strategically above the KSL City Mall, which is convenient in my opinion. I went there to do shopping; I could shop at the mall after nights fall, so I would be free from the worry of JB's high violent crime rate. In the day, there is shuttle bus to City Square; other popular malls are also nearby.

Check in was indeed through taking a queue number, and it was weird I had to wait at the lobby (decorated with plush gold-ish sofa) for 5 min when there was no one else. The staff was friendly and fluent in English. She asked me what language I preferred for my morning papers, but that paper did not appear even after I checked out at 12pm...

The room was decent. There were standard amenities like toiletries, hair dryer and complimentary coffee, typical of a 3-up star hotel. They did not have the weird see through toilet wall like some new hotels do. The safe did not work, but I did not bother to ask the staff to fix it since I was only there to sleep. The sheets were clean, with some stains on the outside of the quilt cover (which I would not touch anyway). The air con was strong, no musty smell. The TV had good reception; I only watched Ch U, cos too lazy to switch. There is no ironing board.

Breakfast was at infusion Cafe at G floor. There were 2 main buffet lines, serving local and western delights. The highlight of the local line was nasi lemak, nothing fantastic, but up to standard. There was sambal sotong, buttered vegetables... The western line, and the standard fare of cereals, salad, fruits and omelette was so-so. The pastry was good. There was dim sum; I tried the siew mai and har kow, which was edible. Overall, the breakfast would not satisfy a gourmet, but sure can feed a layman who is lazy to venture out of hotel for breakfast.

The service at the cafe was so-so. Collection of plates were prompt, but coffee and tea is self-service. I'm a coffee addict, so I thought their coffee was bland and skippable. I found hair in the curry, but as said, I'm not a gourmet, so I just skipped the dish. The dish cleaners also know which utensils to wash clean. Those i found dirty were not those I would put food on (like the plate for holding coffee cup).

For a good location, 3-up star service, cleanliness, this is sure a value for money hotel. I would definitely stay here again for my future shop-escade.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Zenov
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed February 7, 2013

KSL resort is the newest thing in Johor and it is very well positioned to most things in Johor with fabulous restaurants, Hawker stalls and shopping mall and the rates are very reasonable. However it is not 5 star. For being brand new there are many faults found in your room such bath drains that leak across the floor, no mini bar condiments just 2 bottles of water, very average TV reception and no English global channels like BBC, Al Jazeera, CNN or any of the sports channels. There is one Singapore channel for morning news. There is a mediocre gym which is tiny but you have to walk through a bar and grill to get it. There is no club floor And club lounge and in the morning breakfast session coffee is mass produced and self serve from Army style field urns. Everyone seems to be a smoker yet every time I book a non-smoking weeks in advance they seem to be taken which leads me to the last point. A 5 star hotel that takes a reservation based on customer wishes would never not honour reservation and treat you like a walk-in customer. Convenient, value for money but not a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: Always insist on a non-smoking room if you booked one, don't let them tell you otherwise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Was apprehensive about staying here due to the bad reviews but was pleasantly surprised... checkin was a breeze at 5 mins and checkout was just as fast. The rooms were clean, wifi works, bed comfy and location is fantastic for short jaunts about JB. Cinema at the connected KSL shopping center is a real plus and you have tonnes of food options.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
KL
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hubby's friend booked this hotel for us but I was truly apprehensive after reading so many bad reviews of the hotel. But I'm happy to say that we had a good experience at the hotel. We got a room with a queen bed and single bed, which sleeps 2 adults and 2 children comfortably. Perhaps because of that, our room didn't have the coffee table and sofa. Our only grouse is that the bathroom was a tad too small, and stains were spotted in the shower cubicle.

Check-in and check-out was a breeze as well - they have a queue system where guests can wait comfortably at their lobby lounge while waiting for their number to be called. Apparently refreshments are also served for the waiting guests but since we didn't have to wait, I cannot verify the refreshments bit.

All the staff we encountered from the front desk, concierge, bell boy, housekeeping and restaurant staff were generally courteous and polite. We requested for extra towels and iron/ironing board, and all came promptly.

There was a good spread at breakfast, with local foods like nasi lemak, rendang, mee goreng, roti canai, porridge, dim sum, alongside the standard items like selection of bread/pastries, cereals, ham and sausages, waffle, egg, salad, fruits and yoghurt.

A big area of improvement would be in terms of security. There was no control in terms of access to room floors, despite the hotel being next to a large mall so outsiders could have easy access to guest rooms. So if I were travelling alone, I would likely NOT book this hotel. I would have rated this hotel higher if not for the security.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wlliew
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The worst hotel ever! Went to stay for work purposes for 3 weeks. We have confirmed a few rooms to be paid by the company. And we have encountered a lot of issue especially on the front office attitude and the up-keep of the hotel. First, they asked for the company guarantee letter which we have confirmed received by one of their reservation officer . The problem is that the receptionist/ front office do not even bother to check with his colleague. Subsequently we checked in on the other week, the same issue occur. This time, the duty manager, a Mr Ravindran demanded that we have to register under our own and not under the company , of which we are not agreeable as we have given the guarantee letter from the company. This Ravindran even displayed his dissatisfaction towards us and give us an irritated look and slamming his file. He even threaten that we cannot enjoy the facilities if we continue to book under the company name. We are taken aback with the attitude and really spoil our image of the hotel , not to mention affecting our stay in the hotel. How can a 5 star hotel hire such staff with this kind of attitude? They should have place the customer’s interest and to ensure an enjoyable time in the hotel. Nevertheless, I have to give credit to the hotel is that they maintain the poor standard every time in checking in as well as their bad customer service attitude.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Drag0n18

Travelers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

KL
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Big room and very clean toilet equipped with heater and hair dryer. Excellent location because the hotel is located above the KSL City shopping mall with so many food choices and shops as well as MBO cinema. Very friendly staff who is very accommodating. Efficient 24 hours room service provided because we ordered room service at about 11pm and the food sent to our room within 15 minutes. A pleasant stay overall and will definitely come back to this hotel for my next JB visit.

Room Tip: To use the express check out by dropping the room key into the check out envelope to avoid queuing...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends