“Right in the middle of it all.”

Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru
Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Sutton, United Kingdom
“Right in the middle of it all.”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

When you drive up from clean and orderly Singapore after a long evening navigating the traffic of the border crossing, the crowed grubby area around the hotel hits your numb senses like a bomb. It is literally in the middle of of everything. Which probably the best part of the hotel.
You can theoretically walk from the border crossing via the mall to the hotel as it just over the road from the old station, there is a mall to the north of the hotel that had some good clothes shops and a few fast food outlets. Further East is the Indian area and street markets with lots going on right through the night. So you don't really need to take a cab anywhere unless you want to go to the bigger out of town shopping centers.

Checking in seemed to take a while, you get the feeling staff behind the counter don't know what they were doing. Promising an overpriced taxi to take u back to Singapore in 10 minutes and then keeping us waiting for two hours did not do much to change our mind.

The rooms were basic, very small but reasonably clean, the 3D wall art features were interesting, we were told we were upgraded to deluxe rooms, I dread to think what the standard rooms were like. Overall the room was not worth the price had it not been for the location. The corridors and staircases smelled of cigarette smoke and were even more basic. They had an old office block feel, which it probably was at one time.

The carpets in the reception and room could do with a deep clean, you won't want your kid eating off the floors or even crawling on it But I noticed that this a feature of most hotels in Malaysian cities even the highly rated swanky ones.

The safe and the phone also did not work.

Breakfast was included was quite extensive and tasty, they had a full English, continental and Malay options in the buffet. Get there early as refilling was a bit hit and miss.

Personally those reviewers who left 4-5 overall rating because of they were happy with the condition of the rooms but complained about the breakfast...I think they really got their priorities and standards slightly messed up.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shaariq
CitrusJB, Hotel Manager at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear shaariq,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you relished our buffet breakfast and that you found our location to be idyllic as well. I will certainly let the team know that you enjoyed our hospitality and service. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I regret to hear that our associates at the front desk were not as swift in checking you in as you had anticipated. Adding to this disappointment, the phone and the safe in the room were not functioning as it should and the carpets in the lobby were not attended to appropriately. I apologize for these deficiencies and would like to assure you that they have been addressed accordingly.

I can imagine your frustration as well as your anxiety of having to wait for two hours and being charged excessively for the taxi services, during your departure from our hotel. As December 2013, was the peak period of the hotels in Johor Bahru; some taxi operators have been known to charge excessively and unreasonable delays is a consequence of this period as well. I sincerely do not want to come across as being defensive but we have made arrangements for only one dedicated taxi operator to assist our guests beginning 2014. This will assist in eradicating excessive rates and unreasonably long waiting periods.

We have addressed the shortcomings you regrettably encountered, during your stay here in December of last year and I am happy to assure you that you will not endure this plight again, on your next stay.

We are looking forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is a memorable one, filled with many joyful experiences.

Please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team via the email below or visit our website to make reservations as we welcome and appreciate the pleasure of having you here, as our guest again.

reservations@citrushoteljb.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I've booked a standard room for a night stay in JB and was lucky to be upgraded to a family room for free. Room was spacious and clean. For the price, it's definitely cheap & super-good!

Pros
- Mama shop (local general store) located at the Hotel's ground floor opens for 24hrs!
- Coffeshop aross the street served one of the best Roti Prata (or Roti Chanai for Malaysians) and awesome fish curry for late night suppers.
- A Police Post outside the Hotel building (just in case)
- City Square (Shopping Mall) across the street
- 10 minutes walk to Checkpoint (great for those from the other side of Causeway)

Cons
- The Hotel Breakfast Buffet was below Malaysian Breakfast Standards (hehk)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank HilmanHs
Dear HilmanHS,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed our services and that you liked the spaciousness as well as the cleanliness of our rooms. I will certainly let the team know that you enjoyed our hospitality and service. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I am pleased that you found our location, the local delicacies and the numerous attractions straddling our hotel to be simply irresistible! We look forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is just as memorable and filled with the same joyful experiences as well.

I regret to hear that you found our buffet breakfast to be limited in selection. Our emphasis has always been to ensure that the quality and taste of our buffet breakfast is consistently scrumptious. Our next goal will be to ensure that we emphasize quantity as well. I apologize for the disappointment you would have experienced during your breakfast.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 2, 2014

friendly staff, clean bed and toilet. breakfast was okay. only no fridge available but no worries coz convenience store is next door. street food behind hotel is awesome! Shopping mall and cinema is just across the road.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amean2014
CitrusJB, Hotel Manager at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Amean2014,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed our services and that you liked the cleanliness of our rooms. I will certainly let the team know that you enjoyed our hospitality and service. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I am pleased that you found our location and the numerous attractions straddling our hotel to be simply irresistible! We look forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is just as memorable and filled with the same joyful experiences as well.

Paris, France
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are clean enough but staff's level of English is very low, leading to all sorts of difficulties. Even when I solicited help from a Malay speaker there wasn't much more help offered. Customer service is clearly not a priority. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear c_paris,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found our rooms to be clean. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I regret to hear that one of our associates was not able to serve you appropriately due to their limitations to converse in English. I can imagine the frustration you had to endure when assistance from someone to translate your needs into the Malay language, did not alleviate this situation as well. Our very next goal would be to ensure that all our associates are able to converse effectively in English at all times. I apologize for the inconvenience and anxiety this would have caused you.

We have addressed this shortcoming and I am happy to assure you that you will not endure this plight again, on your next stay.

Travelers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Jonkoping County, Sweden
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We were just passing through JB and stayed for one night. Very pleasant hotel. We were treated very well.
And the breakfast buffet was delicious. If I ever come to JB again I would definitely stay there.

• Stayed February 2014
CitrusJB, Hotel Manager at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Samira86 ,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed our services and that you found our breakfast (which is served at our Café) to be simply luscious. I will certainly let the team know that you enjoyed our hospitality and service. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The CIQ is a 2-minute walk while the KTM (Malaysian railway) station is about a minute walk, even with luggage. City Square shopping centre is across the street from the hotel, while the famous food street, Meldrum Walk, is just around the corner.

The receptionists were really friendly albeit slow in checking me in (boo~!) but I got a room upgrade (yay~!). However, the upgraded room had big bay windows facing a busy street so I was woken up by loud traffic at 6am (double boo~!). On the plus side, check out was quick, even to process my refund, and the receptionist was very helpful in directing me to the nearest taxi stop which had a long line of taxis to chose from (thumbs up).

For the price, I have no complaints about the room, except to suggest that Hotel management look into installing double glazed windows for better sound proofing. Otherwise, guests, please bring your own ear plugs. My noise cancelling headphones worked for me :)

Room Tip: ALWAYS ask for a room away from the street. All rooms have windows because they have two airwells. S...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JasLee123
Dear JasLee123 ,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed our services as well as the numerous attractions straddling the hotel, that make our location simply idyllic. We are thrilled to know that our checking out process was quick as well as efficient. I will certainly let the team know that you appreciated the assistance extended when you requested for the nearest taxi stand as well as the upgrading of your room. It is always a pleasure, to assist and serve you.

I regret to hear that the tranquillity of your stay was perturbed by the traffic at that early hour, due to the windows in your room. I know it must have been quite alarming to be woken up in such a manner. It must have been frustrating as well to endure the delay, while you were checking into to our hotel. Our very next goal would be to increase the speed and efficiency during this process, accordingly. I apologize for the inconvenience and anxiety this would have caused you.

We are looking forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is a memorable one, filled with joyful experiences.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The location is right next to a shopping mall and there's plenty of night shops and restaurants in walking distance. There's also a police booth right outside that's a real safety booster, the area is now much safer as I see policemen everywhere. Went for a seminar at Kotaraya and Puteri Pacific Hotel. It's all within walking distance but at half the cost of Puteri Pacific Hotel. Had a lift problem though and my mom who couldn't walk up stairs had to wait an hour until it was fixed. Plus they have wrongly recorded my stay duration 3 times which made my mom unhappy as it was embarrassing when people come to your door asking if you're extending your stay twice and when you walk into the breakfast buffet and was told that you didn't book for breakfast. Overall it was a good stay cause their staff is really good. One particular person was the buffet guy name Ghana.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CitrusJB, Hotel Manager at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Suriya H ,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely pleased to hear that you enjoyed our services as well as the numerous attractions straddling the hotel, that make our location simply sublime. We are delighted that the police booth adjacent to the hotel and the presence of the police officers enhanced the feeling of security, during your stay as well. I will certainly let Gana know that you were pleased with his service during breakfast, at our Café.

I regret to hear that our team did not communicate your departure date and breakfast arrangements efficiently, resulting in both you and your mother being unnecessarily burdened with explaining the arrangements repeatedly to our team. It must have been disappointing as well that our lifts did not function accordingly and frustrating for your mother, to wait for the malfunction to be rectified. I apologize for the inconvenience and anxiety this must have caused both of you.

We have addressed these shortcomings and I am happy to assure you that you will not endure this plight again, on your next stay. We truly look forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is a memorable one, filled with joyful experiences.