“Value for Money”

Ranked #38 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Value for Money”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We are a family of seven and managed to get the adjoining rooms that fit all of us comfortably. The rooms are pretty basic but spacious. The hotel is strategically located near JB Sentral and other public amenities are within walking distance. Apart from the carparking problem, (as the hotel does not have its own carparks spaces) it offers great hospitality and friendly service. Thumbs up for the selection of food for breakfast which was beyond my expectation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear HannahZM

I appreciate the time you have taken to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru as the team and I feel privileged to have you as a valued guest.

I am particularly please to know that you have enjoyed the hotels services and products, the service assistance of the staff, and the buffet spread which you particularly enjoyed. Your positive comments have been passed on to the team and it will definitely guide us to further improve our service standards.

I have noted your concern on the car park, and we have nearby car park sites which are within walking distance. If it has caused any inconvenience, please accept my heartfelt apologies.

The team and I certainly look forward to welcome you back again and thank you for choosing Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru as your preferred stay.

Regards
Eugene Liew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dallas
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Overall, I was fairly pleased with the hotel. The location is literally walking distance from the Malaysian immigration / custom building to cross over to Singapore. The room was well-kept and clean.

My only gripe is that Wi-Fi was very spotty. I had a lot of problem getting and staying online.

But in all in all, it's a decent hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear David Y

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had a pleasant stay at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru!

I am please to note that you enjoyed the strategic locality of the hotel, its products, its services and the value for money during your stay with us.

With regards to the Wi-Fi, we are still awaiting the installation of our new 10mb/s broadband, but if it had caused any inconveniences, my deepest apologies.

I would like to thank you once again for choosing Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru as your preferred accommodation!

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I find that Citrus Hotel is centrally & strategically located in Johor Bahru . It is situated across the road from JB Central & Johor Bahru City Square. (Very central, you can't get lost here) . To me the room is much better than a B&B in Spore as the lowest rate for single room occupancy in Spore is around SGD55. Citrus provides real value for money. The rooms & carpet look new and have a contemporary feel to it. It has a halal & fairly nice breakfast spread which is difficult to get in Spore. Since I'm Malaysian, I feel much safer in Johor Bahru. Room is reasonable clean, though it's a bit spartan. I think Citrus is more suitable for a short work / visit stay. It can get very noisy at night as there is some construction going on at City Square and some bikers race (rempit) at night, but at least it's not a red light district.

Other Noteworthy Pointers
Travelling to Spore by bus can be a pain as you have to walk quite a fair bit (+/-15 mins) the crowd is massive peak hours (lining up) , 2 immigration checkpoints and the buses emit some smoke. However, it is still the cheapest way to do so and sometimes faster than a car as buses have their own lane.
The CIQ (Immigration checkpoint) is adjacent to JB Central and the buses will ferry you from the CIQ to Spore. The downside is waiting for the buses to cross the Causeway namely SBS 160, SBS 170 (Kranji MRT), CW1 (Kranji MRT) and CW2 (Queensway). Please allocate at least 1.5hrs to get to Woodlands / Kranji. Getting to Orchard via MRT from Kranji might cost you another 30-40 mins. You can also wait for bus at Jurong East (SBS 160) to go to return to JB (Kotaraya). Get the tourist pass at SGD20 + SGD10 refundable deposit so you can go on/ alight unlimited nos of times on any MRT or buses for 3 days.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank adventuregirl78
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear adventuregirl78

Greetings from Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what an adventure you had while staying with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room layout, the buffet breakfast spread and the value for money of our rooms! The team will be delighted to hear your positive comments and this will help us improve our services and products.

Occasionally at night, the areas surrounding the hotel may occasionally raise the levels a little bit as its located in the heart of the city. If they had disturbed you during your stay my sincere apologies.

I would like to thank you once again for the useful tips which travelers to Singapore will find it useful!

The family/team and I look forward to welcome you back to Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru during your next trip here!

Malaysia
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I chose this hotel based on reviews from TripAdvisor and we didn't regret it. The stay was just for 1 night and the staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean, I love the deco of the place. There are many shops ALL around, with cafes, restaurant, a mall, clothes shops,
there also have a SHUTTER service to UNIVERSAL STUDIO SINGAPORE ...and also include the ticket to Universal Studio Singapore the person incharge " Mr Que " was very friendly and have a good hospitality skills as i know he from Sales Department.congrats for the Sales & Marketing Department that was very Lucky to have Mr Que. He answering all my question with the sweetest smile..
all that i want said...Citrus hotel Johor Bahru was a very GOOD HOTEL...congrats to all the MANAGEMENT TEAM .

Room Tip: for the family,its good because its more PRIVACY..choose the FAMILY ROOM / FAMILY SUITE
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear Jamal A

Greetings from Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru!

I would like to thank you for your kind comments and for choosing Citrus Hotel as your choice of accommodation during your visit to Johor Bahru.

I am very grateful for your valuable feedback. I have passed on the good comments to the department heads and I have noted particularly that you are pleased with Mr Que's services. On your positive comments, I am particularly please that you have enjoyed the rooms, services, locality and the overall experience at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru.

The family / team and I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel once again!

Singapore
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed there just for 1 night together with my mother, for a short get away from Singapore.
The hotel is walking distance to the customs and City Square shopping center, which I found very Convenient as we did not need to spend anything on transportation at all.

upon entering the hotel lobby, we were greeted with smiles from the reception staff. Lobby is very small but looks modern. Check in was a breeze completed in 5 mins. We booked a deluxe room which came with 1 queen sized bed. Room was clean, with the necessary amenities, but small.

What blew me away about this hotel was the staff at Breakfast!. Breakfast spread was worth the money paid. Staff was super friendly and efficient, and came around to top up our coffee cups every once in awhile. Now that's great service.

The only problem I had with this hotel was the lifts. I guess during my visit there was some renovation going on with the lifts, so 1 of the 2 lifts they had was out of service. This was very annoying as the lift took around 5 to 10 mins to come to our floor and when it did, it was already full. Take the stairs, its faster

Nevertheless,..Will definitely return to this hotel!

Room Tip: If travelling with family, get a bigger room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear bcbee

Greetings from Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru!

I am very grateful for your valuable feedback. It means so much to all the staff as it does to me, to know you were very pleased with the service, breakfast spread and the overall experience at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru.

I have noted your concern with the lifts during that day, and coincidentally it was the due date for lift servicing. If it caused any inconveniences during your stay, please accept my sincere apologies.

The family / team and I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights and was very satisfied with our stay. Location is excellent and very easy to find. If you are coming from Singapore, you can see the hotel on your left before reaching the Malaysian Immigration and you will know more or less how to get there when you see it. Check in was done in a breeze, less than a minute. Although initially I was given the wrong room, the staff were quick to correct the mistake when I pointed it out. They were also very friendly and accommodating, always smiling and ready to greet the guests.

Breakfast buffet was simple but with plenty of choices and I thought the fried rice was excellent. I read in one of the previous reviews that there was no coffee.There's really no coffee on the buffet table but the staff will ask if you want coffee or tea and
they serve. I will not recommend the strawberry juice as it makes your lips and mouth area red ( from food coloring?). I tried it once and was laughing when I saw my face in the mirror back in the room.

The room we stayed in is the deluxe double, quite spacious, clean, nice queen size bed, soft pillows, clean sheets. I think room cleaning is done daily unless you put 'do not disturb' sign outside your door. I had a window 'with a view' which is the mall and the Station St., nothing spectacular. The first room we got had a window but all there is to see is the wall of the opposite building, so if you have a tendency to be claustrophobic, ask for a window with a view.

This is close to city center so transport and food are easy to find. There are plenty of shops and eating places nearby.

Wifi is acceptable considering that it's free. It may be a bit difficult to log in (don't forget the ask for the password and username) when the signal is low. But there were only like 3 occasions when I had difficulty logging in and an 'invalid username and password' appeared on the screen. I called reception and I was told that happens when the signal is weak and I just need to try again. So just watch the flat screen tv with fox movie channel while waiting for the signal to be strong. Once logged in, I was able to check emails, search on Google, but playing videos on you tube was a bit slow.

All in all, very good hotel for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ruiza
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear ruiza

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru.

It delights me to hear that you and your husband have enjoyed the products and services extended by my team to you during your trip to Malaysia.

I feel honored to have you stay with us and I am particularly pleased to read that you have enjoyed the breakfast buffet spread, the room layout, the numerous of eateries just round the corner, and the value for money of your stay. We really appreciate all your positive comments especially how the Front Desk handled your check in to your room.

I have conveyed the kind words to our Department Heads, and your positive comments will guide us to maintain and improve our levels of service and products.

Our family/team look forward to welcome you back to the Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 6, 2012

we stayed here 3 nights, visiting everyday Singapore.
staying in JB is 50% cheaper than in Singapore BUT...!!.. BAD IDEA

the trains and busses are very near of that hotel, but passing customs, crossing bridge and taking metro takes at least 90min to reach the center of Singapore... so you lose everyday like 3-4 hours on the way... i would NOT recommend to do that

concerning hotel
+ excellent location near
+ not too noisy
+ room wasclean
+ simple but good breakfast

- some rooms dont have windows! or have windows on a air vent...
- smelled smoke

Room Tip: ask a window on the street!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear evgueny1

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru. We really appreciate your positive comments about our excellent location, clean rooms and the good buffet spread for breakfast.

I've shared your comments with Department Heads concerned and steps have been taken to ensure no further re-occurrence. The team and I look forward to welcome you back to the Citrus Hotel on future visits to Johor Bahru.