“Very Cheap Hotel but Avoid Room 601”

Tune Hotel Danga Bay
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Caloocan
“Very Cheap Hotel but Avoid Room 601”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I travelled with my family and pre-booked 3 rooms last year when Tune Hotels offered special opening rates. I stayed on several Tune Hotels in Malaysia and this hotel in JB is the nicest one so far. Air-conditioning system along the hallways are being added and provided the needed comfort for the scorching heat of the weather. The hotel lobby is very chic in design. With free internet access ( maximum of 30 minutes per login) available on several PC stations also in the lobby. We were given 3 adjacent rooms but the room 601 toilet has the foul " fesces" smell. The other rooms 602 and 603 are Ok so far. Room cleaning is done only after 3 PM accirding to the receptionist when we asked our room to be cleaned during lucnhtime when we were out.
The hotel is far from the city center, hotel guests needs to call for a taxi to fetch them from the hotel. Since we were travelling on a group of 5, taxi service is not feasible. We managed to arrange for an airport transfer from the New asia holiday travel agents (Raaj) at MR53 one way. Going to singapore is also very convenient because the tourist shuttle bus of genesis and odyssey has a ticketing office inside the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank virstud
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Danga Bay, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Hi There,

Thank you for dropping a feedback on your recent visit to our Tune Hotels Danga Bay.

Glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for all your positive comments.

The toilet smell at room 601 has been rectified. This was due to the clogged toilet drainage causing a slowdown during the clearing process.

Rest assured this has been sorted out; glad that you enjoyed the other parts of your stay and we hope to have the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Sharon - Customer Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Hi,

I thought sharing my experience at this hotel as it will benefit other fellow travelers. My self and family stayed at this hotel in March. We selected this hotel since it was close to the boarder with Singapore and there was a shuttle bus service operating to Universal studios for which we were planing on visiting.

The hotel is new just opened in 2010 and facilities were of acceptable standard. There is a Indonesian restaurant and seven eleven convinced store at the hotel.

The location of the hotel is very bad as its far from the city centre (JB) There are no attractions that are of walking distance. Prior to my arrival at the hotel the management informed me that there is a shopping location Festive Mall which is of walking distance. I visited this mall on my arrival. The mall is a deserted building. All businesses have vacated the building and its deserted. This mall is no longer functioning.

To get to the city you need to cross a 8 lane highway. There is no crossing (overhead or underground) available. You have to risk your life or getting caught to the police when crossing the highway. There are no cabs close by. Passerby cabs are reluctant to stop since its the highway. Buses too do not stop since there is no bus stop close by. You need to wait and wait and pray that some cab\bus guy sympathizes you and picks you up.

There is a travel counter available at the hotel. A guy named RAJ prominently advertises his telephone number (0167943322) for organized tours. For our departure we booked his services to drop us at the Larking bus terminal. RAJ confirmed that he would pick us up at 10:00pm for us to catch our bus at Larking. At 9:45pm i telephoned RAJ and inquired on our transport. At this last minute he informs me that i did not confirm with him though i confirmed and agreed on everything. I was sooo disappointed and let down. Fortunately the counter staff agreed to get me a cab so that i would not miss my bus. Please take care when you book with this guy named RAJ. My advise do not use his service since he is so unreliable. He has only a limited number of vehicles. If he gets a better deal he will just leave you stranded. I made a complain with the hotel as well not to advertise plople who cannot be trusted with their service.

All in all the hotel is good but the location is terrible

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ImranHassen
Hi There,

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review on your recent visit to our hotel.

Here are some of the places you could try out at your next visit:

* Danga Bay Marina Club

* Danga Beach / Danga Cruise 8

* Danga World Amusement and Water Taxi

* Danga Bay Petting Zoo

These are some of the places nearby the hotel, approximately between 10 - 15 minutes walk.

I have sent your feedback to our concessionaire transportation provider; New Holiday for improvements on their scheduled arrangements. Am glad that the front-desk was able to assist you with an alternative transportation.

Thank you for the review and we hope to have the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 10, 2011

This is my second review on Tune Hotel, Danga Bay. I'm a regular business traveller and has been staying in this hotel almost every month since it opend last year, 2010. Generally, i'm sill love the concept of this hotel, non-frill, which is exactly like Air Asia.

Many poeple don't realise that when we stay in a full service hotel, somethime we need to pay sometthing that we actually don't use at all. For example, in my case, the mini bar, the tower, hair dryer, writting table, gym, swimming pool, bathtub, the TV, even the breakfast. So Tune Hotel is targeting customer like me who just need a clean and comfortable place to stay. Checkout time is 10am but this is not a problem for most of the business traveller since many of them check out before 8am!!! So when i'm on a realaxing holiday, need to nice looking hotel, swim the the pool, enjoy my breakfast with sunny side up, exercise on the gym, watching TV or surfing the internet in wifi full day in my room, relaxing on the bathtub, definately i'm not going to stay in Tune Hotel. I'll stay in some 4 or 5 star hotel, but exepcted to pay at least 4x the price of Tune hotel.

Okay, lets come back to Tune Hotel Danga Bay. Based on my last visit on the 2nd and 3rd of March 2011, i did notice tha the general cleanliness is deteriote. For example, in my room I found some hair on the floor when i had just came into the room, I.e. no vacuum cleaning. And there is a disgusting stain on the wall roughly four feets away from the TV. The are vsible yellowish dirt accumulte around the toilet seat. The overhead fan is full of fingerprint and dust. The funny part is there was two black footprint on the floor of showe place after room service on my second day stay.

As commom as the sun rise from the east, every room that i had stayed in Tune Hotel Danga Bay will be flooded during shower, design flaw perhaps.

I'll still coming back for the hotel on my april trip to Johor Bahru, it is still relatively clean compare to other budget hotel in JB city. But i have to admit that should the cleanliness of the hotel is deteriote somemore, i'll change my mind and stay in ohter hotel

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cheongzai
Hi There,

Thank you for completing a TA Review on your recent visit.

I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay and I appreciate your feedback, which will enable us to review our service standards.

Though we are glad that you are still an ardent fan of Tune Hotels, rest assured since, cleanliness has always been one of our priorities and something we do not compromise.

If on any occasion we have slipped into the cracks, these issues will be swiftly resolved by the front-desk team if this was escalated to them.

I am not sure if you had brought this matter to the front-desk, however the front-desk would be able to assist by relocating you to a different room should there be one available. Or the least, request for housekeeping.

In any case we apologize sincerely for this unpleasantness marring your stay - thank you once again for highlighting the matter to us for our action.

Regards,
Sharon-Customer Care
Singapore
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have been travelling around Asia for the past 3 years and stayed in at least 30 hotels. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life. First of all, the room is very small and closely partition together. I feel like entering a prison when walking along the corridoor. Each room is no differences when compare to a prison cell. There isnt hardly any space to walk and no cupboard provided.

Secondly, I dont find it reasonable to charge extra for the basic appliances. These basic items such as television using antenna, hair dryer and aircon should come along with the hotel fee. There also shouldn't be any limitation in its usage.

This hotel charge extra for any basic item you need to use and there is a usage limit. it appeared to be smart, but you won't have any return customer for future. There is no electonic kettle for boiling water and no cup or mug for driinking water or rinse your mouth. can this still be named as a hotel?

Finally, this hotel check out time is 10am in the morning. I got a shock when i heard it. I never heard such an early hour to check out in my life They are hoping that you will pay for another day accommdation if you can't get up early enough. This is really a very stupid way of doing business! Who would want to stay here again?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Mazwell
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Danga Bay, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Hi There,

Thank you for your comments from your stay at Tune Hotels Danga Bay.

Perhaps you are not familiar with our limited service concept .

Tune Hotels requires extra payment for anything that is not an elemental part of a stay.

For non-essential items such as TV, Wi-Fi, tea and coffee and hairdryers, guests only pay if they need them. Guests not using the extra facilities won't be charged for them as part of the room price. The benefit of this efficiency is passed on to the consumer providing excellent value for money and low prices.

The Tune Hotels proposition appeals to a very broad set of customers and is particularly targeted at the value-conscious consumer which is a growing segment of the market.

This compares favourably with the rates at other budget hotel brands and reflects in large part the impact of the space and cost efficiency of the Tune concept.

Our concept may not be for everyone, but many find our hotel an "acquired taste”. It appeals to budget conscious back packers and perfect for people who just want a good price on a user pays basis.

All hotels vary on the basis of opearational procedures and concept. Term and conditions are in place to relay them to the general public. It primarily serves the purpose of educating them on what to expect and for them to prepare the travel schedule to avoid any discomfort.

Thank you for tuning in and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The room is quite nice eventhough it's small but it's not a soundproofing room. The room is very clean & neat. But, I guess Tune Hotel should include the TV channel & aircond in their price, no need to separate the package. I can get some facilities in other hotel with the same price with this hotel. This place is quite convenient with the banks, restaurant, currency exchange place, Maxis Centre & atm. They got 7E also at the hotel.

But, it's quite convenient if we want to go to Singapore. You can take their coach to Marina Bay Sands or Universal Studio Singapore. Just need to pay RM25 for return ticket. The hotel staff not really friendly. One more thing, I guess it's inappropriate for the hotel to put the check out time at 10am. The thing that I like staying in this hotel is only it's easy for me to go to Singapore.

Never buy breakfast package from this hotel. It's suck!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Hi There,

Thank you for your input.

Service is our culture and I am not realy sure of how our frontdesk had not meet up to the expectactions.

To address your comments, our hotel essentially operates on a limited service concept, parallel to a “pay as you use concept”

Apart from the advantage of affordable prices, this concept is adopted primarily to support “Less Waste, More Earth”, which typically encompasses energy –consuming facilities such as air-conditioning, TV entertainment packages, laundered towels and other amenities. It allows guests to tailor their stay to their preferences whilst conserving the environment and their hard-earned cash, since most travelers bring along basic essentials such as towels and soaps.

Breakfast is served by a concessionaire service provider (Es Teller 77 ) and not Tune Hotels. I have pass this feedback to them. There are many places nearby where you could chose to have your meals from. Danga Bay; as you have mentioned, choices are aplenty.

Nonetheless, I am glad you liked the other parts of your stay

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip advisor.

Regards,
Sharon-Customer Care
kl
Reviewed February 9, 2011

January 9th 2011

Tune Hotel, Danga Bay, Johor Bahru

Booked two rooms this time as was travelling with relatives. My stay was much much better than the previous stay to Tune Hotel in Penang Downtown. But one recurring problem I faced was the curtains cannot seem to stay closed properly. They are light and tend to blow open from the breeze from the fan.

Located not too far from the Causeway to Singapore. This building was designed as a hotel – therefore the better room design and I didn’t face the problem of light from the bathroom window coming in at night. The sinks and drains were fast flowing. It was also much cleaner. Beds were good as in all Tune Hotels.

Johor is said to be a dangerous place but the hotel was fenced up with a guard and had electromagnetic locks on the main door.

Likes:
- Security
- Cleanliness
- Location
- Shower
- Pillow and Bed
- Free Car Park

Dislikes:
- Curtain still wont stay closed

Will definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel Would not recommend if you are not driving as there is not many things to do around the hotel and walking in Johor can be dangerous.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MalaysianAged28
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Made a three night stay at the Tune Hotel-Danga Bay (Johor Bahru) in January 2011. Hotel staff was welcoming and efficient upon check-in, check-out and with any inquiries during my stay. The hotel itself is immaculately kept, the corridors brightly lit, and the rooms comfortable albeit smallish in the Tune tradition. I've stayed at four Tune properties to date and this was the first location that offered a place to hang one's clothes in the room, a welcome plus. The hotel is surprisingly quiet given its location along a busy road. There appeared to be plenty of parking available if one has their own wheels. There is a 7-Eleven on-premises along with an Es Teler 77 (an Indonesian fast food restaurant). There's also a newly-opened AirAsia office in the hotel building. Bus fare from the center of Johor Bahru to Danga Bay and vice-versa is 1.60 ringgit. It's a little bit of a hassle crossing to the opposite side of Jln Skudai to catch a bus into JB but even so, it really wasn't that difficult to do. In short, this Tune Hotel makes a great base for a less expensive option to explore Singapore than staying on the island itself but don't neglect Johor Bahru itself. JB also offers a number of interesting sights, good shopping, and a lot of great eats!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Danga Bay, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Hi There,

Glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for all your comments.

Indeed Tune Hotels Danga Bay is a great alternative stay location to explore Singapore. As much as that, guest should also seize the opportunity to explore the wonderful Danga Bay City.

Danga Bay or also known as Teluk Danga is Malaysia's premier waterfront city. It is also the largest recreational park in the city of Johor Bahru.

This residential waterfront getaway it is a superb place to hang out, shop and eat till you drop.

There’s plenty to see and do at Danga Bay for the whole family:

Festive Street Mall – The country’s first-ever purpose-built shopping street boasting 280 retail lots. To get here, just hop onto a tram! There is ample parking space available here.

Danga Park – There’s a children’s pool and playground here where kids can be kids and frolic around all day.

Cultural Centre – Discover the colours of diverse ethnicities, languages, beliefs, traditions, food, costumes, handicraft and lifestyles that embody the essence of what is truly and uniquely Malaysian. At Rumah Limas Johor, the State’s 8 districts are represented by uniquely-designed traditional houses, and where cultural shows unique to each district are performed. Local food and handicrafts are also featured here.

Danga City Mall – Danga City Mall is a contemporary mega shoppers’ complex featuring a wide range of local and regional specialty stores for all ages and is positioned to become the epicentre for shopping, food, entertainment and leisure. The huge 5-storey structure is indeed a mall for all.

Danga World Petting Zoo - Exhibits a variety of bird species, monitor lizards and other animals for public viewing.

You can even get fit at the Clark Hatch Fitness Centre there.

If you are looking for a different kind of dining experience, look no further than Danga Bay. With a wide variety of uniquely-themed restaurants, your penchant for food savoured in unconventional settings will be satisfied.

First, there is the Danga Beach offering unique waterfront dining under the stars. Tuck into freshly grilled seafood plus and endless variety of local and Western fare served under the stars. Enjoy the scenic view of Danga Bay, be cooled by the gentle sea breezes and get entertained by strolling musicians.

Choose to hop on the Danga Cruise 8 with its one-of-a-kind dinner cruise along the waterfront with live entertainment and karaoke. This triple-decker sea-cruise is able to accommodate up to 480 people for a Chinese-style seated dinner and up to 600 people for a buffet setting.

The International Restaurants are fine dining establishments themed to serve a variety of oriental, Asian and Western cuisines. They are the Danga Palace Szechuan Restaurant, Lazio ‘The Italian Restaurant and Cafe’ and Asiana ‘Penang and Asian cuisines’. Rose Garden Cafe serves a combination of local and Western cuisine in a cosy boutique cafe setting while Bayleaf Food Park boats of more than 32 stalls offering all your favourite local fare under one roof complete with nightly live entertainment as well as a big screen TV. Eating out never tasted so good!

All these places are just around the vicinity of Tune Hotels Danga Bay. There is something for everyone.

Simply book early ahead and enjoy great savings, plan your travel escapade; both at Danga Bay City and Singapore relax and enjoy your trip.

We hope to see you soon.