WINNER WONDERLAND

cornwall
“Nice mutton curry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

First the good things:
An excellent mutton curry in the ground floor restaurant/cafe as part of the Ramadan buffet special. This is very popular with locals so people watching is good but it is a bit noisy, service was good though, even with all those people.
The male staff appear friendly and helpful although I didn't see one of the Malay female staff smile the whole time I was there.(Perhaps it's me?)
Check in was quick although I was the only one there at the time so it should have been.
The A/C is fierce but that meant sleeping was good, like a lot of people I prefer it a bit chilly when I go to bed.
Average things:
Bed and pillows were OK
TV channels are local with one or two International ones.
Location is OK, there's a mall at the bottom of the hill with plenty of shops.
Things I didn't really like:
The room had no window so, after my flight, it was a bit confusing when I woke up and didn't know if it was night or day.
As a consequence of not having a window, the room and bathroom are dim so shaving was a bit hit or miss.
The fridge didn't work.
The iron was old and the thermostat on it wasn't working well. Consequently it overheated and attached itself to the (synthetic) ironing board cover! I mean, what idiot puts a synthetic material cover on an ironing board... A man came and cleaned the melted plastic off for me but, when it happened again, no-one appeared despite me ringing reception twice. I left it out for housekeeping to see, the next morning, but he just put it back in the wardrobe... unusable for the next guest! But what did he care....
The internet didn't work in the room but was fine in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank marki50uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

condition of the bathroom was truly shocking. plumbing was clogged up and the shower water didn't drain off. the shower wasn't clean. and wash basin was filthy with stains and the water pipe was broken. to make matters worse there was yellow brownish ring on the side of the water closet, the sight of it was quite unnerving. plus there was dried feces on the bidet spray. it was truly shocking. there were stains on the vanity top. god knows what the stains were. the hotel should seriously look into the cleanliness of the bathrooms. plus there was a foul stench emanating from the waste traps. I wouldn't stay here again regardless of anything. the bangla bellboy was busy sleeping and there was no one to collect our luggage. we waited for almost 45 minutes for our luggage to be taken to the room. the bangla bellboy came finally with an angry look. not a nice experience.

Room Tip: please check the bathrooms before unpacking, you may want to change rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank lara250

Travelers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Disappointed -
1) The check-in was supposed to at 3pm but by the time we waited until 3:45pm, our 2 connecting bedrooms were not ready. So we requested to get other rooms but on same level instead. The frontline staffs also did not bother to inform us when the rooms could be given to us. We just sat at the lobby sofa waited & waited until all of us almost dozed off. The housekeeping took a long time to clean up the rooms which other hotels are pretty speedy in their services.
2) When we entered into our rooms, we were disappointed once again as the rooms did not look as new as they were shown in Agoda website. The rooms looked run down & furniture was old. Our King size bed was damaged too as the left side was tilted up the minute my husband lied down to sleep.
3) One of the toilets was too spacious where my mother & my daughter felt uneasy. We requested to change to a room with smaller size but the occupancy rate was high & there was no room available. We had no choice but to accept these 2 rooms. The bath towels were also had a kind of smell & not sure they were washed properly.
4) We requested non-smoking rooms but we still could smell some kind of cigarettes or burning smell in our room. I could not sleep well because of the smell. Luckily we only stayed for one night.
5) Another negative side - there was a night club on 14th floor where the hotel guests had to take the same lifts with the patrons & hostesses. We came back to the hotel around 11pm & there were already some ladies wearing sexily waiting at the hotel lobby area. I felt uncomfortable as my daughter was with me & she is still young. When we entered into the lift together, the patrons & the hostesses were talking in vulgar languages which made us as the hotel guests even more uncomfortable.
After all these unpleasant incidents, I will not want to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank CFSMCHERYL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Centrally located but at a considerable driving distance from the JB airport and PTP if you are staying in there for purpose of joining ships.
The restaurant is decent and a good bakery too.
Rooms were average size and with a good view of the city.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Marshall E
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in order to take the kids to Legoland (before the Legoland Hotel had opened up). Upon check in, our 2 bedroomed suite had a few issues as we were situated on a high floor and the music from the disco upstairs woke everyone up. Management gave us another, which was dusty and smelled abit musty. Eventually, we settled in a suite which was just above the pool. This is not really a family hotel, and is more geared to younger and older kidless folk looking to party into the early hours.

The restaurant is open 24 hours, which is a plus.

Room Tip: Choose a floor just above the pool. The higher floors are close to the discos.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Nurahn E
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I always stayed at Grand Paragon whenever I travel to JB for work. I've stayed here in January 2014 and recently in June 2014. There is a huge difference between both stays. The room are not maintained properly. The windows are badly stained with watermark that you can hardly see out. The bathroom sliding door is dirty with watermark and toothpaste stain. Beds are not made properly. Either the housekeeping staff are doing a rush job or can't be bothered to do a proper job. This is really a surprise as my previous stays were quite pleasant. Hope the management take the appropriate action to improve this.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Jarodlwk
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

worst possible hotel that i have ever stayed in my life. when we checked in...ac was making noise. 2nd room, fridge not working and toilet wc overflowing on flushing. they assured us that they would fix it....but didnt. eventually given 3rd room where i found a dead cockroach in the corner. showed it to duty manager. most unhygenic hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family