“Awesome weekend experience.. Upgraded to an apartment suite!”

Hotel Grand Paragon
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Booked a standard queen bed room with the hotel but was upgraded to a huge APARTMENT SUITE upon check in at the lobby reception! The suite was clean and looked heavenly. Staff of hotel were helpful and friendly. Food in hotel was very affordable. Not exceptionally fantastic but it was definitely ok for the amount paid. Pool wasn't very big but it was cosy and located at the 11th storey, you could have a pretty lovely view of the city. Overall experience was great!

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Stayed there quite few times. The most recent was staying there in mid of March 2012, room at level 9. The room is big like what other travelers commented, however was lil disappointed abt the room quality. Water are moving slow in hand wash basin, but is fixed after we requested for room service. The night before we check out, our room door was spoiled without reason, it just couldn't be locked. The repairmen came to fix it from 9.30pm till 10.30pm, we couldn't wait any longer without doing anything as the repair guys were still fixing it (we had not shower yet and had to work early in the morning the next day), so we request to change to another room. The Duty Manager agreed and helped us up to move to another room. After we switched to the new room, same thing happened again, the water moving even slower at hand wash basin than the previous room.

The breakfast was good without continuous same recipes everyday. However the female supervisor on duty was rude, jokes loudly with her staff and talked without manner when requested warm water from her. You have to wait for the tables if there is crowd of tourists.

Overall is ok but not as good as Mutiara Hotel at JB.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank NCNG
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This is an OK business hotel for a short stay.

My room was reasonably clean (some stains on a sheet), and wireless Internet worked and was free. The room was quite large and features the usual amenities, including a safe.

The major downside of this hotel was the lack of maintenance--not in a big way, but still noticeable. The air con was noisy, actually made more noise (rattling) when switched to a lower setting, and did not work all that well. The air con switch was only loosely attached to the wall. The stopper of the sink would not remain open. The bathtub had some rusty spots, and the shower head holder was loose.

Beds in twin rooms are short (2m max) and made shorter by being partially pushed under the headboard.

Elevators are slow, expect to wait for a while. Breakfast was OK but not properly replenished.

Somewhat worrying was the propped open fire door in the elevator lobby on the guest floor. I asked a staff member if it should not be closed (there was a big sign on it that it was a fire door and must remain closed at all times...). He said it needed to be propped open for the convenience of guests. Let's hope nothing ever happens.

Overall, not a disaster, but not a place I would look forward to returning to.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank gumshoe7
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I would normally book myself in a hotel or b&b for less than RM200 a night, with good value. However, this time around I gave myself an opportunity to experience this hotel for the rate of RM220 a night, which was high compared to hotels and b&b nearby.

Overall I found this hotel rather disappointing. This was supposed to be one of Johor Bahru's better hotel, not a regular b&b. Thus I would expect better service from the staff in general.

The staff at the reception were kind-of in a daze when I checked in. The receptionist failed to:

- brief me where and what time I should be taking my breakfast.
- give me directions to the room lifts.
- ask if I needed help with my bags. No porters approach me as well, which was a shame.
- explain how I should validate my parking ticket.

And there was 2 of them attending to me.

Staff were pushing banquet trolleys into the guest lift, while I was inside. Don't they have service lifts at the back of the hotel? I could almost expect a staff to walk into the lifts when it stops at level 2, where the banquet rooms are located at. That's annoying.

The room I got was average. Its has a decent size, expected of a hotel. The mattress was okay, but the pillows were too thin for my liking. I like my pillows fluffy.

And the most annoying thing was that the room wifi did not work the entire night! That's amateurish.

Coffee making facilities were available. LCD tv and iron was available. TV channels were limited though. Water heater was working well. Car park inside the hotel basement was complimentary. The breakfast I had at the cafe was quite good and pleasant. So no problems with those.

If I wanted average service, I would check into a regular b&b with less expectations . For a room above RM200, I expected the little extra more.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Very tacky lobby but a decent hotel. location is quite good, breakfast spread is excellent. Bathroom is huge but you need to flush twice if you want to hide your guilt. Haven't seen a better hotel in JB as yet so for now this is the best for me :-)

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I stayed in Grand Paragon Hotel during my company meeting. The deluxe room is huge, but with empty spaces in the bedroom and the room itself. Provided with a sofa and table tea, but still feel the emptiness in it. Probably can have your own small group party or playing futsal in it. My comment on the bathroom is it needed to be renovated a bit to accomodate the modern style as in the room itself.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We had booked the hotel online and even received a call directly from the hotel to confirm two days before we arrived for a one-night stay. Upon arrival, we were told that there would be no power from 8 am to 12 am the next day. They had known this for a few days prior but had not mentioned this on their website or on the confirmation phone call. There was no adjustment to the price or anything to make up for the inconvenience, except a somewhat abrupt verbal apology. Bathroom was dark, slightly dingy rooms. Adequate sized room. Would only stay there in the future if there was no other choice.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple