“Great service & great co-operation from staff!”

Thistle Johor Bahru
Ranked #11 of 110 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Singapore, Singapore
“Great service & great co-operation from staff!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I had a one night stay on the 18th of January 2014. It's a little too late for me to write this review but I guess it's better later than never.

I was looking for a hotel for a birthday surprise for my girlfriend and decided to try out Thistle since it has quite a nice review & I am impressed with the facilities it has & overlooking the sea, though not really near.

But unfortunately, when I checked-in into the Executive room, most of the rooms are already preoccupied. Hence, I wasn't able to get the sea view to my dismay. Secondly, I opted for a non-smoking level but I smelled smoke when we were on our way to our room.

Nonetheless, the staffs there are always displaying great service with a smile & courteous to you. They make you feel at home, Credit to the staff & management for that.

But what I wanted to highlight here was the main event. My birthday surprise for her wasn't really going as planned since the hotel had a few events going on. Hence, most of the places are out of bound to people, I called the room service and Mr Izzuan attended to me. He displayed great cooperation with me as he worked together to ensure I have a great surprise for her. After much discussion, I managed to get a private candle light dinner with her. I am very amazed with the set-up & the food that was prepared for us. It went as what I had expected it to be, He & his team, compromising of Mr Mizi & Ms Dania served me well throughout the dinner.
I would like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for making it a successful one.

To the managers who are in-charge of them, I believe they had done a great job & they deserve some credit. Kudos to them!

Once again, I had a great stay with Thistle, though I didn't get to enjoy the sea view as the other factors are more than enough to make up for that loss.

Warmest regards,
Your satisfied customer Mr K

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PappoiK
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.
My team and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We truly appreciate your positive feedback on our facilities as well as the candle light dinner set up and food quality.
I am glad everything went as what you had expected it to be. I also thank you for your generous compliments to my team members especially Izzuan, Mizi and Dania, whose outstanding service made your surprise birthday dinner experience special and memorable.

Whilst it is good to know that the service was commendable I note your comments with regards to the smoke odour which came from our none smoking floor.
This shall be addressed.

Thank you again for your feedback and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back for more outstanding Thistle hospitality experiences.

Edward and team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Darwin
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We selected Thistle as we were travelling with two fourteen year old boys and wanted a room that accommodated four adults (still can't understand 14 year olds considered adults when booking hotel rooms) and the place sounded nice, when we arrived a very friendly and warm welcome and went through the check in, we then asked what the bedding arrangments were for the four of us in the room that is advertised on website as for four adults and was told would need to pay extra for fourth bed, after some protest and pointing out to them that they said the room accommodated four they supplied the extra bed a no cost, the room is an apartment with king bed, once the extra beds were set up in the lounge there was no room to move with the other furniture but we made do.
The property is a nice place to stay the staff are very friendly especially a chap named Sashi an absolute asset to the place, he was working in one of the restaurants and really knows how to treat people right, we came back from an unpleasant trip into town and stressed out and he was so accommodating and understanding I hope management makes mention of him, he certainly deserves it.

Room Tip: For around $450.00 Aus a night expect more and a balcony
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

I am very sorry for the lapse in service during your arrival. Please be assured that your feedback helps us to focus on what is important to our guests and we are addressing this service shortfall.

Whilst not an excuse, we apologize that there was a confusion in the package that you booked with us. We will strive to make it more clearer for future guests to better understand the offer in our website. For your information, only Apartments and Suites room type allowed maximum 4 persons in the room.

I appreciate your feedback on our friendly team members from Concierge and Sashi, our Assistant Manager from Steps lounge.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family to the hotel in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

to begin with, our room had no mini fridge - they had the space, but it was empty with nothing. When we called to ask they said 'we should have requested when we booked the room'...seriously? it gets better, the phone is our room stopped working right after we called to request for a mini fridge, and no one came to check on it the whole time. We had to call for room service via our mobile phone to place our order for dinner. Iron is also upon request.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Geetagal
Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry to learn that our service delivery has fallen below your expectations.
As we continually endeavour to deliver the best personalised service that all our valued guests deserve, your feedback very much helps us to focus on the areas for improvement.

I have noted your comments with regards to the mini bar in your bedroom. Whilst not an excuse, I can confirm that we are awaiting delivery of new mini bars for our hotel.
For this I truly apologies.

Your other comment about the bedroom phone has also been noted. This matter has been highlighted to the relevant Engineering team and necessary action has been taken.

Iron and ironing board service are available upon request.
I am sorry should the Iron and ironing board is not available during your stay.

I apologize once again for your disappointing experience but nevertheless hope for another opportunity where we may deliver a better stay experience to you and your family.
Thank you for staying with us.

Travelers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We (10 pax) stayed for 2 Nights from 30 Jan 2014 - 1 Feb 2014. Check in was fast. Thistle has an amazing beautiful swimming pool, fitness gym and fantabulous room! Super duper nice! The breakfast quantity and quality was really good. Affordable price. The doorman are very welcoming. The Front Desk Agent, Haesen served me very well. Kudos to him. Thank you Thistle for the awesome accommodation and super duper service. 10 STARS! WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN!

Room Tip: I prefer deluxe room with sea view. AWESOME VIEW.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted that you enjoyed a truly Thistle experience and I very much appreciate your positive feedback on our service, team members, swimming pool, fitness centre as well as our bedroom.

We are humbled by your kind compliments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

OK Hotel

My wife and I decided to stay at this hotel in December 2013, and we got the Legoland package, which consists of a one-night stay in the Deluxe Room + 2 adult and 1 kid tickets to Legoland. They allowed us to pick up the tickets the morning before we checked in since we wanted to go to Legoland on the day.

Positive:
1) Nice and clean room
2) Friendly staff
3) Good choice of food for breakfast
Negative:
1) Iron is on request. They even told my wife to let them know when she was done with the iron because apparently they didn't have enough.
2) They forgot to send the flowers that I added during reservation. They did send it eventually after I asked for it.
3) During checkout, I was over charged for the flowers. I didn't really notice it at the time. I emailed them asking for clarification. They admitted the mistake, and refunded the charge. I have to say that they were very responsive in this regard.
4) You cannot drive through the hotel lobby without getting the parking ticket. The only way out of the lobby is through the parking lot. I think this may be the reason the valet guy took about 15 minutes to get our car.

Overall, I think this hotel is just OK. Considering its well recognized name, I seriously thought that they could have done better. There are a few other better options in JB, so I think we may not come back unless absolutely necessary. Check out some of the photos we took while we were there!

Room Tip: Deluxe Room should suffice to those who have tight budget like us.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Syamsul I
Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate your positive feedback with regards to our clean bedroom, friendly team members and breakfast spread.
Your patronage is of great value to us.

Whilst it is good to know that the service was commendable I note your comments with regards to our Iron and ironing board facilities which are being addressed.

I am very sorry for the lapse in service with regards to your specific flower request and billings accuracy. I can confirm that this is not our normal standard of service however fully understand the poor perception created.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a nite in this hotel with my family over a weekend. Checking in was a breeze but the second room supposed to be allocated to us got delayed for quite a long while. Only managed to get our second room around 4plus in afternoon instead of the half hour as promised. We waited for about 3 hours before we went to Recep to ask about the room. Only sfter which, the second room was cleaned up and given to us.

Rooms are abit dusty. Not very well maintained I must say but the full set of amenities are provided. Breakfast is quite ok not fantastic. The service staffs seemed to be slow to react and serve.

Location of hotel is good. Near to town.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

I appreciate your feedback on our guest room's cleanliness and service standard. These shall be looked into.

Please accept our sincere apologies for your less than satisfactory experience with us.
We hope that there will be another opportunity in the future to deliver a much better Thistle hospitality experience to you.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Friendly staff, clean and big room. Everything was fine till we checked out. Concierge got us a blue cab with "Thistle Hotel Johor" on it. The starting meter showed 6RM and the driver smacked the meter. Usually it's 3RM if you take red colour cab. So I assume something is wrong with his action. The meter jumped at a fast rate. From Thistle hotel to Pelangi Mall costs 19.20. Felt that we were robbed though it's not very ex. DO NOT TAKE THE BLUE COLOUR CAB.

Can try the Ong Shun Seafood restaurant behind thistle hotel. About 7-10mins walk. Affordable price at 56RM for 650g of crab.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

My team and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We truly appreciate your positive feedback on our friendly team members and our clean and spacious bedroom.

Your comments with regards to the taxi service has been noted and shall be looked into.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to extending our hospitality to you again in the near future.