“Great services and very nice room”

Thistle Johor Bahru
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just come back from short holiday trip at Thistle Johor Bahru.I'm booking for Executive King Room.Overall i can say about this Hotel is, superb for everything.From check in to the check out.Room very nice,comfortable bed and pillow.Bathroom very clean.Room service very fast,reception and all the staff very helpfull with the hotel guest.This is then we can call 5 star hotel.As my room is Executive type one,so i can use the Executive Lounge at Level 15.Breakfast & evening cocktail is serving there.Hotel staff treated us in a friendly and profesional way.Food selection was also nice and wide.No regrets to choose this type of room.Thumbs up to the friendly staff who on duty that day.1 nice woman(work at breakfast time on friday 8 feb) and 1 nice man(work at 5.30 pm onwards on thurs 7 feb)Cannot remember their name.1 more things that very nice in this hotel is,all hotel guest can used the gym and also their jacuzzi anytime.They will provide guest with locker and towel.So we no need to bring towel from room.The swimming pool also nice.
So, last thing i can say is, i cannot wait the time to come back and stay relax at your hotel again.Keep up the good work and pls dont stop the nice way u treat all the guest.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.
Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our comfortable bed & pillow, clean bathroom, efficient room service, our friendly & helpful team members and the wide food selections from our Executive lounge. Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

Your comments with regards to the team's performance at the Executive lounge is noted and has been shared with them.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends to the hotel in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Thistle Johor Bahru

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed at the Thistle Hotel in Johor Bahru on a company trip from 4 to 6 February 2013.

The hotel is located less than ten minutes from the Causeway linking Peninsular Malaysia to Singapore. Because our program for the entire stay was very much fixed, we did not have the chance to explore outside the hotel.

Checking-in took a lot longer than expected. I had reserved a single room which required me to check in individually as opposed to the rest of my colleagues who were in twin sharing rooms who had group check in. I was second in line behind a woman who was not part of our group and she took a really long time, as did I when it was my turn. The amount of information the check-in staff needed to enter into the system seems inordinately voluminous. It did not help that only one staff was doing the checking-in despite a few unoccupied others behind the counter milling around.

The room was very spacious but it had obviously seen better days. The cabinet below the TV had its wooden surface splintered and worn in many places (and one of its doors wouldn’t close properly), so were the writing desk and the bedside tables. The front door above the key card reader looked like it had something ripped right off, with no attention paid to repairing the splintered surface. The drainage cover in the bathroom was very rusty. The presence of a hair ball (which did not originate from me!) beside it made it worse. The bathtub had a chipped surface. The doors to the wardrobe were creaky. There were some stains on the carpet, some parts of which looked very worn. The channels available on TV included many local, some Singaporean and a few foreign ones. For some reason all of the non-local channels had a snowy effect, probably due to bad reception or bad tuning. I did not bother to get it fixed.

If you can overlook all of the above, the bed was rather comfortable with firm and comfortable pillows.

We had two buffet breakfasts and two buffet lunches at the Fresh café beside the lobby. The food was really average and nothing to write home about. Some of the meats were so unchewably tough I had to spit it out. We also had a celebration dinner at the Oasis restaurant beside the pool. Again, the food was really average. Only thing that made it bearable was the open bar. All that being said, the restaurant staff were all consistently helpful, polite and friendly. One of whom at Oasis cheerily brought me my 10th (or was it 15th?) drink with a huge smile everytime.

I had the chance to use its gym one morning. It opens from 6am which was fantastic for guests who wanted to have an early start. The gym was rather spacious for a hotel gym and consisted of four treadmills, stationary bikes, some free weights and some machines. I understand it is a commercially run gym and not one managed by the hotel. The treadmills and machines were very well maintained and all guests were given one huge towel upon signing in.

If I were to be in Johor Bahru again, I wouldn’t stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ooFlaneryoo
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Great hotel with great swimming pools. Also good for kids. Taxi,s are cheap and very easy to get. The hotel staff are amongst the most friendly and most helpful you will ever find anywhere in the world. I will definitely be taking my family back there in the future.

Room Tip: Level 17.next to the business lounge is perfect.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear reviewer,

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the swimming pool and our friendly and helpful team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Johor Bahru and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

As this hotel is new, I find that the services are excellent. The bellhop & front office staffs are polite & friendly. The food at GLASS RESTAURANT is delicious & the price are compatible. The room & toilet are very clean. The whole family can enjoy the pool & the view from the pool is scenic. The price per nite is compatible.

Liked — I like the hotel as the room & toilet are clean. I went for the breakfast the food was average but the chef and some staff was helpful and always smiling and will create a good atmosphere.The chef that make the omellete every morning is very helpful to bring me an ashtray even not his job to leave the omellete counter just to take my ashtray at the back. The next day i order a room service and the staff was very friendly especially Mohd Shah and the team giving me such a outstanding service that we can call "service from heart". The front office staff Lia,Ritchie & Sham was very friendly and always there to help me wherever i need something and always giving a pure smile and show their CARE. Really outstanding service from them as a first person to make a contact with the guest. We need to tap our room card in the lift and that makes me think that it's good for security reason. The staff are courteous & helpful especially Front Desk and F&BThe pool are clean also.
Disliked — The thing which I dislike is the hotel room door takes quite sometime to close & I think its quite dangerous. Along the corridor is very quite & the lighting is very dim, thats makes it quite errie. Im stay at Terrace Suite, the terrace look like empty maybe there can put something that can occupied the beautiful terrace area at the balcony.
Overall - Great hotel to stay and can consider one of the best in town. If there still operated with this kind of staff in future, im sure this thistle brand can make a big impact in malaysia hotel industry.

Room Tip: Terrace Suite their was beautiful, large and sunny.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Shahrizanmdnordin

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the excellent service from our team members, delicious food & compatible hotel pricing, clean bedroom & bathroom, courteous & helpful team members, clean pool as well as the security measures. Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

Your comments with regards to your bedroom door, corridor lighting and the terrace are noted and will be looked into.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was a little worried about the hotel stay after reading some average review. The hotel stayed turned out to be very satisfying. The room is very big and grand and the executive suite is even better with a private balcony with sea view for chilling. The service was good too, we requested for a few things and the staff are very helpful generally.

We went to enjoy some facilities of the hotel too and enjoyed it a lot especially the BIG pool.

For more photos and details, you can read here: http://princess-playground.blogspot.sg/2013/01/jb-trip-part-one.html

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mrs_superman2207
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear reviewer,

It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guests and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our spacious bedroom, our service standards and our helpful team members.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was tired n initially got a room which was not as i expected. However subsequently i was provided with a much nicer room. Kudos to Thistle!

To add to my sweet experience. The Pan Seared Salmon Salad served was a very delicious, light yet fulfilling to a growling tummy.... N yes i would not hesitate to order another round of dat chocolate shake. Thanks Hashim for d recommendation....

-Rose PCSB-

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank roxsane

Dear reviewer,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel bedroom, the pan seared salmon and chocolate milk shake as well as the good recommendation from one of our team members from room service that you referred to. Your positive feedback will further motivate the team and I to continue to improve the service levels at the property.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed there for 2 nights in January 2012 with the puspose to go to Legoland. Having lived in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for almost 6 years the Thistle Hotel in Johor Bahru is as with many hotels in Malaysia. Advertised as 5 star but really 3 1/2 to 4 star. They have the facilities, and the staff are friendly but servise is poor, breakfast was probably the worst my family and I have had in a Malaysian hotel (stayed in probably 15 hotels in 6 years). Through experience there is no point complaining or pointing this out as no difference would be made. If we return to JB for Legoland (which was excellent, weekday very few other visitors so max wait for a ride was 10 minutes) we will seek out another hotel. It is a pity as the pool was great for the kids (5 + 7 yrs old) but both dinner (buffet + al a carte) were very poor and breakfast was dreadful.

Room Tip: We had 2 standard rooms with joining door. Room was good and clean.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank joe j
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our friendly team members, our clean bedroom, pool and the hotel facilities.

Your specific comments with regards to the quality of our buffets and a la carte meals are noted. This matter has been addressed to our Executive Head Chef and will be looked into.

I can assure you that we are not complacent in our approach to guest service. It is our aim to improve our service levels at the hotel in all areas and I can assure you that your feedback will play a prominent role.
Rest assured we take your feedback very seriously.

I hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again, and I would be happy to assist with the arrangements to ensure an enjoyable stay.

Please contact me directly.

Kind regards,