“Best hotel with a great hospitality!”

Thistle Johor Bahru
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Travel for Business, first time staying in Johor Bahru.. hotel ambiance was very nice.
Staffs are very friendly and super helpfull. Manager in-charge, Ms Faezah was very helpful and patient in entertaining all my request. Their rooms are very spacious, modern and the view was superb.

My friend told me not to dine in the hotel as the food was not up to the expectation...and he recommended for a "Seafood" at "Tepian Tebrau" about 10 minutes from hotel.
I was asking direction for that place from Indian staff Vikneswary, first time hotel staff recommending guest to dine in Hotel itself and promoted their own cuisine and brought me to try their cuisine in a Restaurant call "OASIS", thanks to her as I realy enjoyed my dinner and food was superb! Thanks again to her, instead of just giving me a direction to dine outside like what other hotel staff did in hotels which I stayed, these lady took the trouble to usher me to that Restaurant and promoting their own specialities. Try to dine in OASIS restaurant,no regrets for listening to her recommendations.

Breakfast was so n so, as my expectation was different as buffet spread with less choice. Waiter and waitress was cheerful with their big smiling faces, nice to see that in the morning

Overall I enjoyed my 2 nights in these Hotel and I will return again in March 2013.

Stayed on 4 January 2013

Room Tip: Request higher floor for a great view (Sea View Rooms) are very nice!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Teh D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Remarkably, the problems involve almost every department of Thistle Hotel. Few things that I have observed during my stay at the hotel. Here are few points you might want to consider before staying at this "five star" hotel:

1. Front Office - Lack of interpersonal skill by one of the front desk staff (the Filipino or Indonesian girl with a shoulder length hair). Her lack of smile and eye contact while conversing with us was unacceptable. Her voice tone suggested her disinterest to welcome us to the hotel, especially that we were first timers. Her "dont give a damn" face showed disrespect towards us as ordinary human beings. For a hotel staff who works for a five star hotel surely she has undergone hotel training and awares of the hotel standard and most importantly the expectation from the guests. First impression of the hotel was as bad as spoiled eggs.

2. F and B - Tasteless food and overpriced.The food at Fresh food outlet was over priced, they charged us RM 50++ per person for a buffet. We paid extra for beverages. The quality of the food was of poor standard. Not many choices of food. Additionally, the female F and B staff were so unfriendly. Their stoned faces projected out nothing but coldness and misery. These females staff only say "Good morning, Sir" to male guests in a very flirtatous way. Often, they do it purposely while the man are with his wife or girlfriend. I observed this at the restaurant. Room service food was also overpriced and yet tasteless but at least the room service boy was smiley and polite. I think he was Filipino. That is the only good thing about this hotel, really.

Car parking - Super super rude car park ticket attendant at the payment booth.
This would be the main point that you might want to consider before you decide to stay at this hotel, especially to those who drive cars to mobile in Johor. Apparently, this was not the first time it happened. There have been many complaints from the hotel guests. He was a Malay man in his 20s. His manner was of that "pariah" caste. His behaviour towards human beings was brutal. He treated others like a piece of dirt. In his own little world, he thought that he owned the hotel. We had a huge issue with him over a parking fee. The hotel rule is that the hotel guests dont have to pay the parking fee but he insisted us to pay. Be careful of this mannerless male. The question now is has he himself ever wondered why he ended working at a payment booth?

4. Souvenirs quality and staff? What a joke.
Ridiculous price tags for souvenirs which my five year old nephew could make. Rude staff who could not speak English at a FIVE STAR hotel? Hmmmmmmmmm........? She was unquestionably rude to the max, once again no smile, no Sir.

Overall, the most terrible experience I have ever had from a FIVE STAR hotel. It spoiled my only and only weekend off from my job as a lawyer. We decided not to come back to this hotel regardless of any circumstance, even it involves the invasion of the world by aliens or the rise of anacondas, we will not come near the hotel for an alternative accomodation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank andy_cooper1000
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I appreciate the time you have afforded to detail your comments and I apologize for the upset caused. Clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

I am sorry for the fact your check in was not facilitated well. I apologize for your encounter with our less than enthusiastic reception team members.
This matter has been addressed to our Front Office Manager and re-training has been initiated to avoid any similar reoccurrence in the future.

Your feedback with regards to the Food & Beverage team's performance is noted. I apologize for the manner in which our team members acted.
More focus will be given to the team's skills and hospitality training hotel wide. At the same time, our food quality and varieties will be looked into.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our Room Service team member.

Your specific comments with regards to our 3rd party car park attendant and souvenir shop are noted and shall be reviewed moving forward.
Furthermore re-training will also take place with the team in the manner they facilitated your enquiry.

I fully understand the poor perception created, however I do hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again.

I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here previously when this used to be a Grand Hyatt, which feels like a charming but dated hotel. Now as Thistle, it is painted over with earthly tone and shiny lobby, but nothing more.

Housekeeping was pretty slow (once we came back at 4.30pm and the room was not done) and the staff are overworked (hint; rude remarks here and there).

Despite being a Legoland affiliated hotel, it is more businesslike than family friendly. Furnishing was bare minimum (only one chair for seating) and the huge toilet are cold (marble floor and all). We didn't have the extra bed requested as it was N/A during the 2 nights we were there. Sofa/arm chair would be nice, but they're not there.. So having room service in the room is a little odd.

Recommended for business traveller.. for family with small kid, I would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear reviewer,

I appreciate the time you have afforded to detail your comments and I am very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectation on this occasion.

Rest assured I have highlighted your comments for immediate rectification and assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Your feedback with regards to our customer service is noted. I can assure you that we are not complacent in our approach to guest service.

Your comment with regards to our room facilities is noted and will be looked into.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel ambiance.

I hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again, and I would be happy to assist with the arrangements to ensure an enjoyable stay.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Really quite disappointed. Unless this is the normal standard of hotels in Johor Bahru, I would suggest that tourists avoid coming here! The service at reception was really poor - unfriendly and slow, and her attempt at English was incomprehensible. If only she was nicer, we would put up with her lack of English knowledge. We have through our booking (made 2 weeks before) requested for king-sized bed, but this could not be provided. No apologies provided - just 'no beds'.

The room and bathroom were clean though, with nice towels. The mattresses and beddings were comfortable, but the pillows were simply terrible! I have been to 3-star hotels, that provided far nicer ones, in fact even with options of different types of pillows. The request for an iron and board took 45 minutes to arrive and there is no energy saving device that switches off electricity when we leave the room. Crazy!

Overall, not worth the hype or award, nor the price we paid, and we are not coming back!

3  Thank OMalleyHK
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear reviewer,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.
Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our bedroom and bathroom, the towel as well as our comfortable mattress and bed.

Your comments with regards to the pillow quality is noted.
At present I am finalizing the new hotel pillow specification for the property.

The inefficiency of our Knock Knock service has also been addressed to the relevant Front Office team and necessary actions taken.

I can confirm that we do have the energy saving system in play hotel wide and I am sorry it was not functioning during your stay.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have encountered.

We look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, thereby allowing us the opportunity to regain your confidence in us and deliver the quality service performance as expected of any Thistle Hotels.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed at the junior suite. However due to noise from the rugby team occupying the same floor, they decided to "upgrade" me to a bigger suite which they made a big deal off. I had to move my sleeping baby and all my things up.

Arrive in the room and discovered we cannot make any calls from the room. Executive lounge staff was not helpful and greeted me with "are u staying in a club room floor"..

Service standards definitely poor as service manager was not tactful and service oriented. Staff unsure about opening and closing of restaurants timing. Apology were hard to come by and you usually have to wait a long time for anything.. Again apology is never offered. It's as though we staying there is troubling them.. Left me perplexed to say the least.

Don't bother staying here..

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Enochdude

Dear reviewer,

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement particularly, our in room maintenance standards as to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Your feedback with regards to the team's performance is noted. I can assure you that we are not complacent in our approach to guest service.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I came here with my family for a wedding reception on 21st-23rd December 2012.

When I first arrived, I couldn't find a direct and covered path from the parking to the hotel. With the rainy season and loads to handle, this is a real problem. Then I realised there is an lift to the car park but under maintenance. There was actually another path that leads to the carpark but there are no proper signs or directions from the employees of the hotel.

After checking-in, I went into the room and waited for my luggages/bags which were with concierge. 30 minutes went by and I called the reception to check on my luggage. She said she will check and have them delivered soon. After a few rounds of calls claiming she will check or the luggages have been delivered, I lost my patience after waiting for 2 hours. Bear in mind I have cranky and hungry baby because everything is with the concierge. I went down to the lobby and demanded where my bags are and they were still checking and not sure what is happening. I had to go the concierge and identify my bags. God knows what happened to the tagging system. What if I need my luggage for medication purpose? This is totally unacceptable. Plus no one was really apologetic about the whole incident.

Oh, and the baby cot only came after a final round of complain when the luggages were finally in my room.

My package was also suppose to have chocolate/pralines, but I did not see any. I even called the reception to ask for them (should I be asking what is supposed to be provided in the first place?). Imagine my horror, my request is yet again forgotten or ignored. Only when I made a fuss during check-out, that I was given a box of chocolates as replacement.

Relatives of mine, checking in other rooms, were also faced with various problems. One of the rooms bedsheets were not clean and the condition of the room was not up to standard. Another the TV was not working.

I realized all the staff was not even apologetic to any of the inconveniences and went on as if things were normal.

Definitely will not coming back or recommend to anyone.

4  Thank daron82
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear reviewer,

I am most concerned to note of your encounter and I truly regret the inconvenience and negative impression reflected.
Please accept my profound apologies as clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement particularly, our customer service, housekeeping standards and in room maintenance as to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Your feedback with regards to the team's performance is noted. I apologize for the manner in which our team members facilitated your request.

Your comments with regards to the car park signage, dirty bed sheet and TV connection have been briefed to the relevant team and will be looked into.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

i stayed here with my family on 7-10th december 2012. I booked via phone and initially there was a misunderstanding whereby the hotel reservation booked my stay a month earlier which i only discovered in early december. As the hotel was running full during that period, the reservation team refused to rectify that mistake which nearly ruined my holiday plan. Thankfully, the head of sales was better understanding and got me my rooms after i complaint via the hotel's website. Kudos to him.
The rooms were spacious and decently clean. s not t 5-star standard, but definitely beyond 3. Breakfast spread was quite good. Staff friendly. If only the coffeehouse closes later than 10pm. The pool is great and the kids loved it.
All-in-all: good hotel. Would return.
All-in-all

Room Tip: choose a room facing the tebrau straits/singapore.
1  Thank 456ZulG456
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear reviewer,

I am most concerned to note of your encounter and truly regret the inconvenience caused.
Please accept our profound apologies as our guest’s perception and satisfaction is of utmost importance in our mission to delight our guests.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our spacious and clean bedroom, our friendly team members, the breakfast spread as well as the pool.
Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

Your comment with regards to the coffee house operation hours is noted and will be looked into.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guest and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Johor Bahru for another memorable hotel experience and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.