“Keeping rooms clean should not cost so much” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Thistle Johor Bahru
Ranked #11 of 107 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Helsinki
“Keeping rooms clean should not cost so much”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I recently spent one night at this hotel. Fortunately, it was just one night...

When I entered the hotel, the doormen welcomed my customer (with whom I was traveling) and myself and were extremely friendly. The hotel lobby and reception area seemed very modern and recently renovated, so I was looking forward to getting into my room and spending some time at the hotel. So far so good.

Time to check in. The receptionist was friendly, but it was definitely one of the slowest check-in processes that I have experienced so far anywhere in the world. The same applied to the check-out process later on. I was in no major hurry, so no harm done, but this level of slowness certainly does not paint a very professional picture of the hotel's service level.

But then to the biggest disappointment of all - my room. My alarm bells started to ring when I entered the corridor on the 8th floor. The corridor - and especially its wall-to-wall carpet and some of its walls - was dirty and there were stains everywhere. When I entered my room, I came to realize that the same "stain story" continues there. When it comes to its overall cleanliness, it was simply disgusting:

- The closet where one is supposed to keep clothes and shoes was dusty and definitely in desperate need of renovation or renewal.
- There were several stains on the wall-to-wall carpet. Frankly, I do not even want to imagine where those had come from. In some parts, the carpet was also worn out and a number of black stripes (I assume caused by suitcases, shoe soles, etc.) were visible. Frankly, I was most reluctant to even think of walking barefoot on the carpet.
- I wanted to use my laptop on the desk that was in my room. Fortunately, I noticed before placing my laptop on it that its stone surface has three sticky stains on it.
- Both the bathtub and sink in the bathroom were worn out and dirty.
- As if the above was not enough, there was also brown paint on the curtains.

I just do not understand this. This was purely about poor cleaning work. It cannot be so difficult to get this right. For a while, I thought about calling the reception and requiring a new room. However, I had already switched to this room from another room that I was given first. This first room was a smoking room (and not any better), even though I had earlier requested a non-smoking room. Also, my customer who was staying in a different room another floor told me about the same lack of cleanliness in her room.

It seemed to me that the room I had might even have been renovated relatively recently, but only very selectively. For example, some of the furniture seemed fairly new, where as some of the furniture looked very tired. In the bathroom, the lavatory seemed fairly new, whereas the same cannot be said about the bathtub and sink that lacked white paint in some areas.

For the positives, the hotel's lobby and reception area, as well as its other public facilities, seemed modern, well-maintained, fresh, and trendy. In addition, the hotel's location is good. The breakfast was average - nothing heavenly, but definitely O.K. to get you going.

I am not sure about the general quality level of the hotels in Johor Bahru, but after this particular experience I tend to think that if you can stay at one of the nice hotels in Singapore and commute from there to Johor Bahru in the morning and back to Singapore in the evening, you are better off. Needless to say, but I will not return to this hotel until they will have done something for their rooms both from the cleanliness and renovation standpoint.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MarkoSHelsinki
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I appreciate the time you have afforded to detail your comments and I am very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectation on this occasion.

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement. Focus will be given to our front desk skills training as well as housekeeping standards and assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to our friendly concierge and receptionist, hotel layout and the location.

Your comment about the breakfast is noted and I shall review moving forward.

Please contact me directly when you are planning your next visit. I will personally oversee arrangements to ensure a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Edward and team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on business in a club lounge floor.

Front desk staf very efficient and the hotel is compact but nicely laid out. There is a kind of theme pool which was different from the norm and this was great. A very well equipped gym and an outdoor bar which also served a range of freshly cooked food.

The staff are very friendly even if some do not speak English that well. The club room was OK but there was not a lot of choice in food. The club room floor was ok but the rooms seemed a bit dated to me but the place was very clean which is important.

I'd stay here again if out on business but there are a lot of hotels going up in this region to cope with the development which is on a grand scale. In a couple of years this hotel will probably struggle as it is not sited where the expension is taking place. That is about 5-10 miles away to the west..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the front desk team, the hotel layout, pool, our well equipped gym and the outdoor bar which is called Oasis (fusion outlet of Italian and Japanese cuisine).

Your positive feedback will further motivate the team and I to continue to improve the service levels at the property.

Your comments with regards to the selections of food at the Thistle Club and the Club floor rooms are noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Johor Bahru and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Me and my husband spent two nights at the hotel before heading over to Singapore for our honeymoon and it was superb!
- check in was smooth.
- a surprise awaited us in our room when we came back from shopping: two beautiful birds made from towels on our bedroom bed..so beautiful and romantic plus not forgetting the yummy chocolate pralines. We informed the front office that we were on our honeymoon so i guess they've arranged something to surprise us! Kudos for this little arrangement that made our stay a certainly memorable one.
- i love the swimming pool.. we went to the pool twice during our stay. Beautiful and relaxing.
- breakfast was good and we particularly enjoyed the ramadhan buffet..hawkers style buffet with delicious varieties and its really worth what we paid for. Oh we were durian lovers and we enjoyed the delicious and crispy 'durian goreng roll' so much (i wonder if they sell it on normal days at their coffe house). Not forgetting the eat all you can durian spread!
- location is a bit off town but they provide free shuttle to town or you can just grab the cab anytime.

We were satisfied and happy with our stay and would certainly recommend our friends to the hotel. Keep up Thistle!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dee A
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear reviewer,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the set up in your bedroom, our chocolate pralines, the swimming pool, breakfast and the Ramadhan buffet.

At the moment we do not sell Fried Durian Roll in our outlets nevertheless it will be look into.

Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is somehow rated one of the Trendiest Hotels 2012 on Tripadvisor, but the 3.5 star user rating is definitely more accurate.

Pros - I'll start with the 'Pros' list since this is much shorter than the 'cons' list.
1) Speedy check-in and check-out
2) Some of the staff were quite friendly and helpful (maintenance guy, "concierge" guy)
3) Comfortable shuttle service. Friendly driver.
4) Big Room.

Cons
1) I called the hotel a week in advance to check if they have a shuttle to Legoland. I was informed they don't. I booked anyway, and when I got there it turns out they DO have a shuttle to Legoland. So whoever picked up when I called was clearly clueless.
2) Room was dirty - there was hair in the bathtub, and the sheets had some sort of stain (not reddish, so at least that's good). More on this further below.
3) There was no information in the room on the hotel facilities, restaurant hours, swimming pool hours, spa etc. There was one plastic in-room dining menu with pics of restaurants on the back.
4) Complained and asked to change rooms since the room was not clean. Also asked to speak to the manager on duty and was told she was call us shortly. The Manager did not make us an appearance, but about 30 mins a porter appeared to take our luggage to us to another room.
5) The new room was fine, except the plugger in the tub did not work. Called to complain again, and a maintenance guy fixed it (pretty quick).

Other Minor points -
1) The minibar in the new room was completely empty.
2) The lady at check-in was incorrect about my room rate, didn't tell us about breakfast (which was included), where the elevator was etc etc
3) The package I booked under was supposed to include some "additional discounts" at the Johor Premium Outlets. I forgot to ask, and they forgot to give/inform me.
4) Breakfast buffer was decent but the cutlery did not look clean (example - juice glass, plates).
5) This hotel does not seem to have a real concierge (isn't this a requirement for a 5 star?). When we asked for the concierge we were directed to the guy who holds your luggage for you after you check out and calls a cab if you need one. The guy was very helpful. But this is not a real concierge service.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are being remodelled. Room on level 7 was in much better shape than room in level...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank trum01
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit.
Your thoughts are important to us and I appreciate the time you have taken to articulate your comments.

Thank you for your positive comments with regards to the speedy check in and check out, our friendly and helpful team members, comfortable shuttle service, breakfast spread and your spacious bedroom.
I can confirm we have recently started with a complimentary shuttle to Legoland on a first come first served basis.

I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require improvement focusing on in room cleanliness and maintenance.

I can confirm that while we have our 24 hour Knock Knock service our updated Guest Service Directory shall be in the business soon with our latest Room Service offering.

Items for the mini fridge are available upon request. A tent card is placed in the mini fridge for guest acknowledgment and I am truly sorry should it not have been available during your stay.

Your comments with regards to the utensils and our Concierge service are noted and I shall review moving forward.

I fully understand the poor perception created, however I do hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again.

I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stay here for 2 nights and having my dinner here, using the in-dining room service just to realize that the food is bad! I order a se t of chicken cordon blue, cheese cake, crispy nachos and a glass of fresh orange. Suprisingly, i got my chicken cordon blue with taste not good at all. I suspect the chicken is already kept too long in the fridge.. Without eating, i still can vomit just to smell it. I call your 'knock knock' and five minutes later, there's a polite guy coming to my room and take back the food. As complimentary, he asked me to choose any other food which is free as an apologized respond.. I choose fish and chips and my bad experience continues whereby the fish is too oily and there 're too many bones inside. I almost get chocked with the bones. Besides this, your nachos is not crispy and all, overall, i wil say that there's something wrong with your kitchen that need to be fixed. I like the condition of the rooms, the views and what nots, however when it comes to food, i would give only 1 star to Thistle Johor Bharu. Your cheese cake helps you to get the star on food. Please improve your kitchen.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room, 8th floor and above for a nice view..
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank shyzuan y
Dear Reviewer,

At the outset I would like to profusely apologize for what transpired. Clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

I am aware my team have followed up directly with you so as to apologize and gather further detail.

Rest assured, focus will be given to our Food & Beverage standards and assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the bedroom view and the cheese cake.

I hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again, and I would be happy to assist with the arrangements to ensure an enjoyable stay. Please contact me directly.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our room had a fridge but the fridge was warm. They send up some ice for us. We found 2 packets of condoms in the bedside table drawer and a box of condom in another drawer. I also found used body cleanser in the drawer. I found a toothpick on the toilet floor. That's just disgusting. We left for SG for 2 night and came back to Thistle because we've booked and paid. We'd rather stay somewhere else. So when we came back, our room had no fridge. The person who attended to our room service said that we must rent a fridge?!! I mean seriously? Has it gone this bad? We didn't take our boys to the pool or use any of the facilities. We are very disappointed with Thistle.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank aifusatiluj
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit.

I am aware my team are following up directly with you today so as to apologize and gather further detail.

Rest assured, focus will be given to our Housekeeping standards and assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed there for a weekend getaway with my family. The location is good and view from hotel room especially those facing the sea is nice. The service is OK and staff is trying their best.

The only setback is that the Hotel is built such that they do not give you a holiday feeling OR the exciting feeling that you are suppose to have when staying in a hotel. The layout of the whole hotel - lobby; car park; shops; even the F&B outlets, doesn't give you that holiday feeling. It doesn't reflect the name - Thistle Hotel.

Overall the location; sea view room and staff trying to provide good service, make up for the lack of ambience.

Unless they have very good offers for room rates, this would not be my first choice.

Room Tip: For those who want to have a hotel at a Central Location convenient to travel to various parts of Jo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the hotel location, sea view room and the good service provided by our team.

Your comments with regards to the hotel layout is noted.