I recently spent one night at this hotel. Fortunately, it was just one night...
When I entered the hotel, the doormen welcomed my customer (with whom I was traveling) and myself and were extremely friendly. The hotel lobby and reception area seemed very modern and recently renovated, so I was looking forward to getting into my room and spending some time at the hotel. So far so good.
Time to check in. The receptionist was friendly, but it was definitely one of the slowest check-in processes that I have experienced so far anywhere in the world. The same applied to the check-out process later on. I was in no major hurry, so no harm done, but this level of slowness certainly does not paint a very professional picture of the hotel's service level.
But then to the biggest disappointment of all - my room. My alarm bells started to ring when I entered the corridor on the 8th floor. The corridor - and especially its wall-to-wall carpet and some of its walls - was dirty and there were stains everywhere. When I entered my room, I came to realize that the same "stain story" continues there. When it comes to its overall cleanliness, it was simply disgusting:
- The closet where one is supposed to keep clothes and shoes was dusty and definitely in desperate need of renovation or renewal.
- There were several stains on the wall-to-wall carpet. Frankly, I do not even want to imagine where those had come from. In some parts, the carpet was also worn out and a number of black stripes (I assume caused by suitcases, shoe soles, etc.) were visible. Frankly, I was most reluctant to even think of walking barefoot on the carpet.
- I wanted to use my laptop on the desk that was in my room. Fortunately, I noticed before placing my laptop on it that its stone surface has three sticky stains on it.
- Both the bathtub and sink in the bathroom were worn out and dirty.
- As if the above was not enough, there was also brown paint on the curtains.
I just do not understand this. This was purely about poor cleaning work. It cannot be so difficult to get this right. For a while, I thought about calling the reception and requiring a new room. However, I had already switched to this room from another room that I was given first. This first room was a smoking room (and not any better), even though I had earlier requested a non-smoking room. Also, my customer who was staying in a different room another floor told me about the same lack of cleanliness in her room.
It seemed to me that the room I had might even have been renovated relatively recently, but only very selectively. For example, some of the furniture seemed fairly new, where as some of the furniture looked very tired. In the bathroom, the lavatory seemed fairly new, whereas the same cannot be said about the bathtub and sink that lacked white paint in some areas.
For the positives, the hotel's lobby and reception area, as well as its other public facilities, seemed modern, well-maintained, fresh, and trendy. In addition, the hotel's location is good. The breakfast was average - nothing heavenly, but definitely O.K. to get you going.
I am not sure about the general quality level of the hotels in Johor Bahru, but after this particular experience I tend to think that if you can stay at one of the nice hotels in Singapore and commute from there to Johor Bahru in the morning and back to Singapore in the evening, you are better off. Needless to say, but I will not return to this hotel until they will have done something for their rooms both from the cleanliness and renovation standpoint.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you're with us for business or pleasure, the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel provides the very best of Malaysia, including our legendary hospitality. At Thistle Johor Bahru we have 382 fully refurbished bedrooms, including 125 executive luxury rooms with spectacular sea views over the Straits of Johor. This Malaysian hotel also boasts 5, an outdoor 'resort-style' swimming pool, and fitness centre with spa. Everything you need in fact to indulge your body and soul in modern luxury and comfort. As you'd expect from a hotel in Malaysia and so close to Singapore, Thistle Johor Bahru also has superb meetings and events facilities making the hotel a prime destination for business. Thanks to our beautiful landscaped grounds, sea views and tropical climate, we are also a popular venue for weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Hotels.com so you can book your Thistle Johor Bahru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thistle Johor Bahru Hotel Johor Bahru