“Cheap and cheerful”
Review of Zen Zeng Hotel

Zen Zeng Hotel
Ranked #56 of 110 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed August 13, 2012

A tad musty upon entry our room with some ceiling mould issues but other rooms much worse we saw...still most liveable our standard double for RM73 a night with breakfast. 15 minutes walk from City Square...WI-FI was quick but only 1 English channel on the TV...air-con and hot water all good and good comfy beds...reception staff efficient and friendly...safe and secure and good enough for a couple of nights...

Room Tip: Choose a front or side room away from the train line at the back...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Wardysworld2
There are newer reviews for Zen Zeng Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Zen Zeng Hotel is what it is meaning it's a budget hotel. For 53RM a night (10quid), it is comfortable, quiet and basic. My room had its own bathroom, TV receiving Singapore channels as well as Malaysian. The rooms are cleaned everyday and the staff are friendly.

One of the best things is the security cards for the hotel doors, so I felt my stuff was safe.

Huge hypermarket 10 mins away, burger stall man around the corner and easy access to the main road. One tip: best not to walk around JB late at night on your own as bag-snatching is 'common'.

Room Tip: At the back would be best.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
14  Thank Nick S
Reviewed July 8, 2012

First of all remember this is a cheap, one star hotel. I personally pride myself for being flexible and able to stay in 5* hotels as well as 1* hotel such as the Zen Zeng Hotel. So please keep in mind you've been "warned" this is a one star hotel, a cheap hotel, a very basic hotel and one that is not located in an upmarket area.

Nevertheless, for it's price this is a great hotel. It has an elevator, 24hr reception, your typical plastic key cards, and it's clean. The main reason I gave it the maximum rating was for its staff. They were very helpful, caring and they even called a taxi and made sure they talked to the driver where I needed to go so that the taxi driver won't over charge me. The receptionist even made me smile when she realised I haven't had breakfast there and reminded me of it. I don't mind sleeping in a 1* hotel and I don't want to seem insulting but the idea of having breakfast here just wasn't very appealing to me.

A negative was I was unable to use the wi-fi. I believe that was because I only had the phone with me and sometimes you need a proper laptop so you can read all the instructions before it connects.

The room was old but clean. The toilet worked fine so did the air conditioning. A little "scary" was the first time you hear the train going past but after the second time you get used to it. There was a working tv in the room and also you can have a hot shower.

The towel and bed lining while clean were definitely worn out. But then again at just over $20 per night (including breakfast) I honestly wonder what some travellers expect. One nice touch was the fact there were two free toothbrush packs, something you sometimes don't get even in a 5* hotel.

In conclusion: keep your expectations low, understand this is a budget one star hotel and for the price you pay, it is unreasonable to expect a 5* experience. I was here for just one night so for my needs, this hotel served me extremely well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
22  Thank Appreci8life
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We booked a night in this hotel to visit Johor Bahru before going into Singapore. We were too early checking in so we decided to leave our packs with the receptionists who graciously accepted them whilst we explored JB. JB Central was about a 15 minute walk from the hotel and the nearest mall about 10 minutes away.

The room was basic, no frills and comfortable enough. Not much sound from the outside except when the train from JB central passes bye occasionally. The neighborhood was a little run down and not much going on in the area. There are food establishments but we preferred the mall foodcourt 10 minutes away.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank OLS_LTB
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Zen Zeng was a basic, no frills hotel. The staff were extremely helpful in providing anything I needed—from directions to finding an adaptor socket. Housekeeping service was done every day, so my room was immaculately clean for my entire 3-night stay, with clean beddings/sheets each time. They have hot and cold water dispenser available for guests (located on the 2nd floor, I think). Room service was great, too. Breakfast was included, although kinda small. With free and fast WiFi access in the lobby and restaurant. It’s also near City Square mall, Danga mall, and the MRT station.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank BladeApprentice
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I read the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and decided to book a room in the Zen Zeng hotel. I knew this was a budget hotel and perhaps my expectations were a little too high. But when we arrived I was pretty disappointed. The neighborhood was not what you would call attractive. It looked if it had known better times.
It's pretty hard to find the right exit to the street of the hotel. Before you know you oversee it and you have to make another round to get a second change.
They are rebuilding the front, the lobby and the breakfastroom right now. I hope next thing they will do are the rooms.The room we had was worn down. The carpet was loose and the windows far from new. The size was ok and the beds were not too bad either. There were some cockroaches running around. We had a room on the backside of the hotel. The view there was nice. There is a railway but happy enough there aren't passing many trains. But beware if there comes one: I never heard a train that was that noisy!
Breakfast is very basic, just some toast and coffee/tea. Because of the rebuilding work we had breakfast in an empty room.
If you have a car you can park it in the front of the hotel for free. In 5 minutes by car you are in the centre, the shopping mall and the station with the customs.
The price is ok, but right now I would not recommend anyone to stay here. Perhaps if the rebuilding/redecoration is ready it is a better place to stay, best to inform before you make reservations.

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank Evelien v
Reviewed June 22, 2009

The room location of the hotel was a little vague and needed some local guidance to actually find the place. However, most local cabbies know of it so if you were to take the cab, it would be found easily.Being a little bit off, there is little to be said about the surrounding. Take a cab out to town where you will get more night life. Otherwise, you can attempt to walk to the nearby Danga City Mall. Not for the feint hearted however, as it would take about 15 minutes. The customs have also moved and it would not be within walking distance anymore. Walking can be romantic at times but to really get somewhere, I would suggest calling for a cab.

Front desk service was friendly and helping. Quite quiet at night except for a moment when a rude rumble of the service train behind the hotel that was a little unnerving.

The room itself was quite clean for the price that we paid, with a standing heated shower. The curtains could use a little beating however, after closing them, I notice a cloud of dust hovering over my head. Once things settled, it's fine then... just don't go shaking them again. Carpet and bed cleanliness all seems passable for the price we've paid.

Oh yeah... we paid only RM99 (USD28) for a family sized room (2 queen size beds) due to a last minute booking and the lack of smaller rooms. But even so, it was a very reasonable price to pay for that size.

All in all, I would say, it was one who holds true to being a budget hotel but provides good service and a clean environment.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple