“Awful experience”

Ranked #60 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Sydney, Australia
“Awful experience”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This has got to be one of the worst hotels we've ever stayed in, in a prettty awful city. The 2 rooms we had were both run down, the bathroom plumbing was all rusted, the curtains & some of the blanket s had cigarette burns in them, some of the sheets had stains on them, the airconditioner (split system on the wall) had pieces missing from the fan, and the whole place stank of cigarette smoke (rooms, corridors) to the extent that it affected my son's breathing. Pretty sure there was a guy smoking at the end of the hallway as every time I opened the door to go to our other room, he was there and it reeked of smoke.
The town is also pretty crumby & dirty & the only time I felt safe was in the shopping centre which was very clean & modern. We were only staying here to go to legoland but once we found out late that night that it wasn't open the next day we quickly packed our bags in the morning and fled to Singapore where we picked a tour to Legoland a couple of days later.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Joss C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Scary that somebody opened my door 6:49 am without knocking! I was inside and my key cards were inserted for power so I wonder why does a security guard has a master key! i'm really sure i heard a female voice but the cctv showed a male security guard??!! There is really something wrong! I complained at the counter but it seems like nothing had happened. I'm just not feeling well so I'm extending one more night! I have lots of questions to ask before il check out!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
11 Thank Rob A

Travelers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Sri Kembangan, Malaysia
Reviewed March 13, 2013

stayed here as its close to my Jobsite. usually i will stay at Citrus hotel. wanna try something new so picked up Meldrum.
During regiatration, front desk staff indirectly forced me to apply membership which i need to pay RM12. i could have stop her doing that but when i realize what they are doing, its already registered.
anyway, the bed is so so but the room filled with mosquito. a Big one literally. not a pleasant sleep.
During checkout the bill showed RM106 whereas the credit card receipt showed RM107. yes only RM1 but when i asked them why is the differences they said wait till the office open at 9am. Rudely asking me who is the one swiped my cc?
not going to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank IbrahimRabani
Jurong, null, Singapore
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Conveniently located.i hope that I can swimming in the pool someday..I mean meldrum hotel swimming pool..ahahah..maybe soon..keep it up..improve always needed. .mat ...nani..hmmm they're good staff.. :) I can't say more. .I'm always feel good staying here.. :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank onynny
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Taking the bus to Melaka the next morning, the big question for me was whether to stay the night in Singapore or go over the border to Johor Bahru, as I had heard some less charming things about the city of JB.
I chose the all-Malaysian option, and I am happy I did. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the city centre of JB, even late at night.
For my hotel in JB I chose the Meldrum, not a bad choice either. A very short walk from the border crossing, the deluxe room was decent value for money. Still the hotel was a bit run-down and had a quite a strong "budget hotel" feel about it, so I suspect that with the low prices in town a slightly pricier option in the same area might have been an even better choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank StoffeH
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 23, 2012

conveniently located, cheap room rates, nice room, service is okay but can improve by being more friendly and helpful

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Sudhir_Rajagopal
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed for 1 night in August 2011.

After a bad experience at a hotel round the corner, the Meldrum was a welcome change. The room was sparkling clean. The floor tiles shined. It was a great location - right in the centre of town and close to all the hawker food.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

This is not a fancy hotel, but good value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family