“Bad experience and terrible stay”
Review of Silka Johor Bahru

Silka Johor Bahru
Ranked #32 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Kuala Lumpur
“Bad experience and terrible stay”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had 8 guests attending a wedding and we put them up in Silka for a few nights. And it was a huge mistake. There are a few room types available and the cheapest ones do not have windows! Not only do the carpet smells as a result of the mold and lack of ventilation, these rooms can pose a danger in the event of a fire! Imagine trying to escape in the event of a fire... The doors are also not fire resistant!

Not only are the rooms smelly, maintenance was bad. Towels were not provided and has to be asked for and there's no daily tidying of rooms... Until we made a formal complaint to the manager! Needless to say, for the amount we paid, we expected much, much more.

If I have guests coming over again, I will be hesistent putting them up at Silka again. The Thy Executive hotel is nearer and is much cheaper and value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Glencore
Ramanesh N, General Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Glencore,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru Hotel.
Thank you for the feedback of your recent stay at Silka Johor Bahru Hotel. We truly apologize for the inconvenience we caused during your recent stay here. We have 3 different room categories namely, Standard, Deluxe and Business Suite. Our standard rooms are aimed at budget conscious travellers and are without windows but rest assured, all safety and security aspects of the hotel are well taken care of at all times.

Also, in the best interests of our guests, if the Do Not Disturb sign is hung at the door, our housekeeping staff will not provide the standard service as outlined by international hotel standards.

Once again, we apologize if we did not live up to your expectations and we would like have an opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perak
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We made a last minute booking via its website, due to a family emergency. We needed a hotel nearest to hospital sultan ismail, jb..and it has to be convenient and baby friendly. I was very hesistant, as the ramadhan promo is only rm129++ for a deluxe room, and it being a three star hotel. I dont know what what m getting myself into. But the hotel proved me wrong. Its a quaint little hotel. Our rooms are super cosy, minty clean, new and yeay! Child friendly ! No sharp bends and bumps, and *phew*no bulky tv cabinets. The staffs are super friendly. And the ramadhan buffet is yums. Driving from the hotel to HSI, tesco, jusco tebrau city is a breeze too (with a gps hehe). But, um,. Parking is a bummer as it is in the other building.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kechik
kattie64, Public Relations Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Kechik

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru Hotel. Thank you for your positive feedback of our services rendered during your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves by providing the best possible hospitality experience to every guest that walks through our door and we certainly had great pleasure serving you.

Once again we look forward to welcoming you back and experiencing our very own Silka hospitality which is a whole new experience everytime.

Thank you for staying at Silka Johor Bahru Hotel, you'll never miss home!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Silka hotel is clean and cozy, good choice for business travel in Johor. I have stayed here on several occasions and always had a good relaxing sleep. :)

The rooms are clean and they have a friendly staff.

Will definitely come back for future travels in Johor.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the street...it gets a bit noisy sometimes..
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
kattie64, Public Relations Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear nat_minero

Thank you for staying at Silka Johor Bahru Hotel, you'll never miss home!

Thanks

Warm Regards,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Me & my family had a last minute weekend getaway in JB 2 weeks ago from Singapore. As our hotel choices are all fully book, I decided to stay at Silka Hotel based from the Trip advisor reviews . I was kinda hesistant at first as it was a 3 star, but when I reached Silka Hotel, i'm glad I made the right choice.

First, is the security. You will really feel safe (and your vehicle as well).
Secondly, staff was really nice and friendly. The receptionist was very patient with me regardless of any silly questions I gave her. They also have this "self-service" complimentary drink besides the reception that "cools" you down while waiting to be checked-in (or out). My nephew actually loved the grape juice/ice lemon tea.
Thirdly, breakfast was all good, limited but good.

As for the room, it was actually very pleasant room for a 3 star hotel. Though it was small, but it was clean and comfy. Only thing that bothers me is the bathroom. It was small & clean as well, but I believe they could still improve on the cleanliness??

Location wise, I think is great. It's near the Giant, Tesco Extra, Pandan Market and almost half an hour drive from the main JB city.

Lastly, I would like to compliment one of their staff (which i didnt get his name). My husband inquired about the attractions nearby such as good place to eat and stuffs like that and this staff he was trying his best to guide my husband the places he is familiar with. After we have checked in, rested and about to leave the hotel to go to the city in the afternoon, this staff literally chased my husband to his car and pass him the map that he searched online and printed out. It was very thoughtful of him.

I will gladly go back to this place again if given the same scenario. ((=

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nizzie09
, General Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Nizzie09

Greetings from Silka Hotel Johor. Thank you for your positive feedback of our services rendered during your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves by providing the best possible hospitality experience to every guest that walks through our door and we certainly had great pleasure serving you and your family.

We view every feedback from every customer seriously and once again thanks for your favourable review and we’re glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again.

Thank you for staying at Silka Hotel Johor, your home away from home!

Accra, Ghana
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Dorsett/Silka Johor for three days after travelling from Egypt. I decided on this particular occasion to stay in Johor Bahru, rather than in Singapore, as at that time, I had not found a reasonably priced hotel in Singapore that I thought was truly great.

I was quite impressed with the Dorsett/Silka, the price I got it for was incredibly cheap, around half what you pay in Singapore for a similar hotel of the quality. After arriving very tired after my flight, I got a very good breakfast at the restaurant (on demand, not buffet), and then checked in.

The rooms were of very good quality - my room was very large, with really nice decor. There was a large HD television, and I found the wi-fi to be steady as a rock for three days (not one disconnection !). There was room to walk around within my room, and also the bathroom was quite large and very nicely finished.

There are no hallways to the part of the Dorsett/Silka where I stayed, so it gets humid going from your room to the bar/restaurant/reception. I met the manager while I was there, and he was a very nice fellow. When I got back to Australia, a hotel staff member left some hotel keys in with my luggage, and a couple of months later when I returned to Johor Bahru, I made a trip to the hotel to take the keys back.

The only issue I had was with a driver that the hotel set me up with. I thought he wanted 80 Ringit to take me to the Little India part of Singapore, but he wanted $80sg !

Aside from that, I recall that a can of soda water was very expensive too. But, that's about as negative as I get. It seems a way from both JB Central & also Singapore, but I didn't have a problem getting around Johor (taxis are very cheap - I tipped as much as what the fare was !), and the second day I went back into Singapore, I went by taxi to JB Central then took public transport.

The staff were incredibly polite, and noteworthy as being friendly.

These days, I tend to stay in Singapore and commute to Johor Bahru, but I would not hesitate to stay at the Dorsett/Silka again if I was to elect to stay in Johor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank PietroMorrizio
Hua Hin, Thailand
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Hmmm. The first impressions were not good. In this day and age and especially you expect breakfast to be included in the price. I can't remember the last place I stayed where it wasn't. This was pretty disappointing.
Then the room was supposed to have internet via wifi, but it wouldn't connect. Apparently the first 3 floors are ok for wi-fi, the middle 3 are hopeless and the upper 3 have LAN Lines... so for two days no internet so no emails until I moved to the 8th floor and was given a LAN line to connect. (Note there are no LAN outlets on the 6th floor. Can't honestly comment on other floors.) It would seem a simple thing to run extra wireless outlets on all the floors.
The staff really do try hard and are typical Malaysians... very welcoming and kind. They were the best part of the hotel.
The rooms are pretty tiny, and one had hot water to the hand basin, the other didn't.
The bar fridges are unstocked.
The restaurant is pretty good, and the chef makes a pretty tasty meal, no complaints there. The bar is ok.
It is in the middle of suburban wasteland: there is a Giant, and Tescos within walking distance, anything else is a taxi. A tip, it has only just changed names to the Silka Johor, before it was the Dorset, so if you are in a taxi trying to get home, ask for the Dorset, its what the drivers know.
It is located on a major intersection: if road noise is a problem for you maybe look elsewhere.
Overall I enjoyed the staff and some of the others staying there (I was there 5 nights.) I would stay there again: but would book a room on the 8th floor with a LAN line for internet.
it represents about value for money and no more.

Room Tip: If you are there on business and need internet book into the 8th or 9th floor and use a LAN line rat...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James F
Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is my second time staying here.1st time very happy n this round very upset with e room maintainance and sound proof. Made 2nd complaint then action. Such a room rate really not worth. Not breakfast included. I believe not more third round.. we better go for other hotel which e rate is around e same which breakfast included...

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank sheong
DRKL, Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear sheong,

We are truly grateful for your constructive feedback. Needless to say, we are very distressed to learn of the negative implications of your visit. Please be assured that we have taken your comments seriously and positive actions have been initiated to ensure that there will be no recurrence in future. We have expended every effort to meet our guests’ expectations.

Therefore, we hope that you will give us another opportunity to redeem our performance. Nevertheless, we appreciate your comments on our shortcomings, as this will be another learning experience for our staffs to better themselves.

We sincerely hope that you will not let this experience deter you from visiting us again as we are fully committed to ensuring a comfortable and pleasant stay for our guests.

The Management