“Great on the first visit, very poor on the second!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Meisan
Ranked #66 of 851 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Malaysian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Mumbai, India
“Great on the first visit, very poor on the second!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was staying at the Mutiara Hotel and heard about this restaurant on the second level and decided to try it out. I am not a big fan of Asian food served in the South East of Asia, simply because they add dried fish to almost everything and I am not a fan of that odour!
Anyways, I decided to visit and to my surprise, it was an almost empty restaurant at 2030, with just 3 tables occupied.
I got some good recommendations on food and I enjoyed the meal. I would recommend the prawns with dried chillies and cashews; and the fried chicken in their special curry leaves seasoning. The fried rice was made to order ensuring there was no element of fish added :)
So, after a good meal experience, I decided to try the place again. I had my fingers crossed, but it turned out to be a disaster!
I visited the exact same time 2030; the restaurant was full with big groups. I got seated after a 5 minute wait and the waitresses were running around the place like headless chicken!
The food was strictly average this time. The service was very poor and the food was served just warm at its best. I ordered for Green Tea at the start of the service and it never got delivered till I asked for the bill at the end! Of course the junior waitress was apologetic at the end of it which she was ought to be since I asked for it at least 3 times during the meal!
In a gist, the place delivers good food and good service only when not under pressure. If the restaurant is running full, you better not enter this place as you will be extremely miffed at what you'll get for the kind of money you are about to pay!

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Pricey for the service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food was good, not great. It was pricey but convenient for business travellers who were staying at Mutiara Hotel. The waiting staff did not alert me to the possibility of including the bill in my hotel room bill (I was only alerted by the restaurant downstairs). The waiting staff was more preoccupied with waiting on big groups, the junior staff was also very unsure of what to do, what was on the menu, etc.
The food was average, a small portion of two dishes and a rice with dessert set me back on average RM90-RM100. I liked the vegetable dishes but if the night was breezy and not raining, I would have rather walked outside for food.

Visited February 2013
“Best sze-chuan style Chinese food in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Their braised duck is a must-try. Not too salty and tender (:

Also we always eat their steamed fish in nyonya sauce w steamed buns. YUMZZZ

It's considered as one of the few high end Chinese restaurants in jb so the price is relatively high, depending on what you order. A meal for three would average at about RM200++

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sunnybabelove
Johor, Johor, Malaysia
“Delicious Chinese food served here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

The stewed duck and plain white buns that go with the duck dish makes it superb and complete. It's yummy!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank cindybiding
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is probably the one place to savor a preferred decent Chinese cuisines, especially the roasted duck.

Visited September 2012