“si très délicieux”

Chez Papa French Bistro and Wine Bar
Ranked #1 of 933 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999. Traditional French Regional Cuisine. Cheerful and comfortable Bistro decor. Considered Fine Dinning by some customers. Adjoining Wine Bar with cozy ambience. Extensive wine list, large selection of cocktails and International beers by the bottle.
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The first time we ate here we knew we had found a gem of a restaurant. By the end of the second evening we had made some life long friends! The food is sensuous, the atmosphere fun, the staff friendly and the wine intoxicating. Chez Papa is the place to be if you want a meal, dessert, a drink or just a place to meet the finest people in JB!

Forget the menu - just pick something from the nightly specials and you are sure to enjoy! My favorites include lamb tenderloin, the sirloin with pepper sauce, and of course the french onion soup. Save room for dessert and order the flourless chocolate cake.

1  Thank DavS436
There are newer reviews for Chez Papa French Bistro and Wine Bar

Reviewed August 17, 2010

Absolutely fantastic!
I have been to many places, including 3 years in Singapore, but never found any place even close to it.
It's so warm and friendly atmosphere and you will always meet someone to chat to..And the food is great too!
The best Restaurant in JB, Malaysia and Singapore!

1  Thank BelaJong
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I wish I have the resources to travel there and post a review on my blogpost http://evoire.com/members/shockware2/ and share a review with you guys. This seems to be a good restaurant as the review are stating.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Everyone's life is different, because it's filled with personal experiences. My recent personal experience was a 'staycation' in Johore Bahru. During the 'staycation', we decided to reward ourselves with some good food. And so, a simple search lands us in Johore Bahru's most raved-about restaurant - Chez Papa French Bistro. Chez Papa French Bistro is a restaurant located near Plaza Pelangi. Therefore, in terms of its location, it was well-placed to capture the sights of both Malaysians and Singaporeans. Afterall, you can't miss this restaurant along a busy road and within walking distance to a shopping mall.

We ordered a total of 3 items - escargots (half a dozen), cordon bleu, and sirloin steak. Escargots tasted yummy, mainly because of the herbs and oil they used. Cordon bleu was stuffed with chicken, turkey, ham and cheese, and was complimented with pasta as a side-dish. I would rate this as the best dish for the evening, for the fact that it was it wasn't easy to master a delicious dish that will not dis-integrate with so much meat stuffed and well-wrapped. Sirlion steak was just a tat above average. It failed to impress because the steak was medium-rare in the centre and medium-done at the sides.

The total damage was MYR 121 (SGD 52.16). I figured that it wasn't exactly cheap, considering that we are on the cheaper side of the Causeway. But well, I can proudly boast to tell the world that I have tried the #1 restuarant in JB. I can only figure out 1 reason why this is the #1 restaurant - the rest of the restaurants in JB are simply mediocre, for this restaurant will merge into the crowd if it enters the Singapore market. Although I can't exactly figure out this restaurants comes up tops amongst 37 resturants, it still remains a fans-favourite such that the waiter had to turn down guests who did not make any reservations, for the resturant was full.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

I travelled from Singapore to JB's Chez Papa as it was ranked the no.1 restaurant on Tripadvisor. Am not sure why this place was ranked so highly, and given that I went to the restaurant 3 days after the last review...It is as though we went to different restaurants.

The setting of the restaurant was delightful and cozy. Stepping in, it felt like being teleported into the French countryside. Considering the noise and dust outside and the instant transformation within, the feeling is almost surreal. I might have visited the restaurant too early, went at 6p.m. and there were no other patrons. In fact, it was only midway through my meal, did the staff begin turning on the lights and the music. So perhaps the reason for the less-than satisfactory meal was because...the chef wasn't there yet? But they did say they are open from 6p.m...and I didn't get an early patron discount on my bill...hmph

The staff were delightful and warm. No quibbles about the service...

But the food...the food.

The bread was the first to arrive on the table, and it was great! Soft, fluffy and crunchy at the right places. I was primed for a gastronomical treat...so I ate only a little bread, hoping to leave sufficient space for what was to come...

So you can imagine my disappointment when the onion soup (which was supposed to be their better dishes according to the waiter), turned out weird. Now, some burnt bits would give the soup character, but the cheese floating in the soup was so charred, that the soup left a smoky and bitter aftertaste.

The fillet mignon was a generous portion of meat covered with some sauce and vegetables. And there is nothing dainty about the meat. It was just so thick, and hard that my fingers on both hands were aching from all that slicing. Might have helped if the cutlery were sharper.The sauce and vegetables were alright, not spectacular, but ok.

In the end, I think I might not have been served by The Chef. Did not confirm the thought, so as to leave some hope for future visits. Punishment for showing up too early...I guess. Or perhaps the restaurant is actually meant to be a good place to romance that special someone, and sip vintage wines amidst thoughtful conversation...

Just not for the food.