“Will disappoint foodie.”

Chez Papa French Bistro and Wine Bar
Ranked #2 of 946 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999. Traditional French Regional Cuisine. Cheerful and comfortable Bistro decor. Considered Fine Dinning by some customers. Adjoining Wine Bar with cozy ambience. Extensive wine list, large selection of cocktails and International beers by the bottle.
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I have relied on TripAdvisor in Paris & all highly rated reviews of restaurants are spot-on. However Chez Papa is disappointing for me for French cuisine.

The service & atmosphere are top marks.

However, the food is mediocre at best. I had French Onion Soup (too saltish but not too bad), escargots (burnt!) & wagyu beef (just average).

Definitely the expectation should not be high as JB is not a foodie city. I would rate it as below average.

1  Thank Allkuans

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Had our dinner in Chez Papa couple of weeks ago. It was a REALLY nice meal. We had escargot, foie gras and their famous mushroom soup for appetizer. It was all very delicious. Their smoked spaghetti is one of a kind and must try! One extra special thing about the place is they have a variety of beers to choose from. If you're not a drinker like me, you'll be tempted to try all their beers. My brother had 4 different type of beer that night!! So, yeah... we'll be back the next time we're in JB.

2  Thank Amy C
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

My family and I had a such a Wonderful experience at Chez Papa last Saturday night. We have been here a few times to celebrate special occassions and the food and service has always been consistently good, however, this time it was exceptional! We ate family style. Ordered one foie gras... but was so good that had to order another portion. I must add that i think they are giving bigger portions than they used to. We had mushroom soup, onion soup and a scallop appetizer. All very yummy. For main course - must try the mouth watering Duck Stew- that night's special. My dad had a steak which we all took a bite off. Was super tender and we really liked the sauce. Also had Grilled Salmon and a Cheesy pasta dish. The desserts here are also great. I love their Flame Bananas. The Restaurant was packed but we hardly had to wait long for our Food. Our waitress was so sweet and bubbly which made the evening more special. Two thumbs up. Wish we could afford to come more often !

1  Thank EatnDrinkaLot
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Having trusted TripAdvisor for a while now when planning my trips, I made sure I dropped by this restaurant bec of the rave reviews. I even booked the boutique hotel beside it thinking that we could at least get a decent meal while our short stay in Johor (since I was bringing my daughter to see Legoland). Also, let me note that I live in KL and spend summers in France for the past 9 years, hubby is French -- so I had high hopes for this French restaurant when we went there.

I booked dinner for my family, True enough the waiters were friendly and smiling when we entered. I do not doubt that they are eager to serve. However, all things got dampened when I ordered the FOIE GRAS. It came with some salad and after I ate the first bite of the foie gras and a piece of the cherry tomato, I noticed something moving -- and i mean MOVING and WRIGGLING -- on my plate! It was a little worm! The waitress quickly came after I called her and I asked her if she can see the wiggly thing. She muttered "sorry" then took the plate away.

When she came back, she said it must be from the salad. I would expect at this point that the chef would come to apologize -- no I didn't get that. She just said here this one no more moving stuff inside. Hmm... seemed very unapologetic to me. I would think they should give it for free after that horrible experience ... i wanted to throw up after that but held it together because I did not want to ruin the evening (which started badly).

The mushroom soup was good -- that I can vouch for it. The rest of the food was okay. Nothing fantastic. I had the steak, which was okay and a bit dry for my taste. Hubby took some chicken with mushroom and he liked it. While my mother (whom I was entertaining as well bec she came to visit me in Malaysia as my guest) had the grilled lamb which I found a bit hard but didn't want to complain.

In the end, I was disappointed that I did not have a formal apology... nor an offer to discount that silly item with wriggly worm. They took the plate away too fast for me to take a pic! When the dinner was done, my mom kept wondering if they will give the foie gras for free since they didn't come to formally apologize... and she couldn't hold her tongue and told the waiter "No free dessert?" when I asked for the bill. I guess they felt guilty about what happened and did come with some free dessert (after being prompted).

I did come back the second evening -- simply because of convenience. My daughter and mother were tired after Legoland so they stayed at the hotel while hubby and I went back to Chez Papa to get some soup and a quiche for a light dinner. We tried the different wing of the restaurant (the bar part) which I find was better atmosphere albeit some mosquitoes flying around. We had a forgetful waiter who did not come with our bread -- and had to remind him 4 x before we got it... then the waitress from the other evening came to serve our soup jokingly told me "Dont worry there is nothing moving in there" -- not sure what to make of that... funny? or not? We ordered some cheese which hubby found very reasonably priced (that is one good thing about them).. however we felt overlooked bec the owner and chef were bust with their "regulars" and seem to have forgotten us ... and our need for bread to eat with the cheese. I even finished my soup sans the bread -- which our forgetful waiter said was coming... sigh.

I guess we were the lucky ones who encountered some kind of incident at the restaurant. I just think they need to improve their customer relations when it comes to incidents like this.

For me, not sure if I would bother to go back there the next time I am in Johor to bring my daughter to Legoland. Will probably try other places. If not for the convenience beside the boutique hotel, I would give this place a miss and try to find other gems in Johor.

Oh... and my honest opinion on their atmosphere -- i guess some people find the place charming which I do not contest bec those are personal tastes. As for me, I found the place very old, in need of upgrading. If you look up the ceiling you can see they didn't bother fixing it properly and tried to cover with some cloth... the interior could benefit from some fresh paint and some upgrading.

2  Thank PinkAddict
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great food in a cosy and quaint little restaurant. Staff was friendly, toilets were clean and the chef took time out to come out and ask you how the food was. Excellent!

We were there with our 2 young children - 4yrs and 5yrs and they absolutely loved the lamb cutlet which was very tastily marinated and grilled to perfection.
They finished up my share of the duck stew (the day's special!) so its another testimont to how delicious it was. another must try - the french onion soup and escargots!

A tip - do phone ahead to check what the specials of the day would be on the day of your visit and if there's something you like do reserve it cos their specials run out pretty fast! Deliciously satisfying! Try it!

1  Thank VJKAheartTRAVEL