“A nice little cosy French restaurant.”

Chez Papa French Bistro and Wine Bar
Ranked #1 of 1,144 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999. Traditional French Regional Cuisine. Cheerful and comfortable Bistro decor. Considered Fine Dinning by some customers. Adjoining Wine Bar with cozy ambience. Extensive wine list, large selection of cocktails and International beers by the bottle.
Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is a private-owned French restaurant that comes packaged with the bubbly French chef and his wife, friendly staff, cosy environment, good selection of wines and really good French food.

There were couples and companies of more than 3 dining at the tables, but I liked sitting and having my food at the bar. The chef, who is a native French from Nice, was at the bar chatting with some regulars and overall created a nice little ambience. We had some conversation as well and it was most certainly pleasant.

The food, needless to day, was quite amazing. I had their signature escargot, which was delightful to say the least. Their onion soup was fabulous and the main course, which was duck breast with special pepper sauce, was very good. The duck could have been more moist, but the sauce redeemed it. Very tasty.

I had their house wine, which came in a carafe (half a bottle size). It was a Merlot and was quite average. A better wine could better compliment the fabulous food, so I'll pick a nice bottle of Rhone from their menu instead next time.

I'm not sure if you can find a restaurant in JB with better ambience and food than Chez Papa. Aside from having your meals, do have a chat with Chef Dominique and Shereen. They are the nicest people you can meet. I'll most certainly be back.

Date of visit: February 2012
4  Thank SwirlingTraveller

Reviewed February 24, 2012

We celebrated the birthdays of our friends Wendy and Roland and it was the best French dinner we had in years! Will definitely be backformore.

3  Thank SteadfastSailor
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Probably the best dining experience you will find in JB. Great French food and very reasonably priced by international standards.

2  Thank yasnil001
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Went to Chez Papa to celebrate my wife's birthday with friends from Singapore and Switzerland..... it was a surprise party for my wife and called Shareen ahead to inform her very briefly over the phone that I wanted something special for her and Shareen understood my intentions, all within 5 minutes over the phone, and the evening turned out to be great....
We had the popular Foie Gras and Wagyu ribeye steaks that were perfectly done....
The birthday cake baked personally by Shareen was absolutely delicious.......
The service was so intimate that we felt like we were at home....
Thanks Chez Papa for a wonderful evening...
Will be coming back for more....

Date of visit: February 2012
5  Thank RolandnWendy
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I have been to Chez Papa many many times over the past 10 years. The ambiance is cozy, friendly and happy. The food is just THE BEST. My all time favorite is the goose liver, as well as the lamb rack. I got to meet the owners, Shereen and Dominique Muller, they are a friendly couple, full of energy and enthusiasm, always pleased to chit chat and introduce new French specialties. Chef Dominique even gave me tips on how to cook chicken cordon bleu. I recommend you try Chez Papa. It's the restaurant I like the most in the whole of Malaysia. Sante et Bon Appetit!

Date of visit: December 2011