“Check your room.”
Review of Safari Beach Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salima
Safari Beach Lodge
Ranked #2 of 26 Specialty Lodging in Salima
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed here at the beginning of November 2011 as a party of 6 couples. When we arrived the power was off (a regular occurrence in Malawi) so we could only get an impression of the room by candlelight. As the generator gave power to the bar we all met there and stayed eating and drinking until midnight and having a great night.
When we got to our room we found that the mosquito net over the bed was full of flies and possibly mosiquito's, fortunatelt there was a single bed in the room too with a clean net so we both squeezed into that. If I'd had the mini bus keys we would have slept in there. The toilet and shower were outside in a 'hut' with no door and you couldn't keep soap or toilet paper in there because the baboons steal them.
One other couple with us had a similar room / toilet / shower arrangment but all the other couples had en suite rooms, some with air con and some on two levels with two balconies and up to 4 beds.
We really liked the stting of this lodge, it has great views, we found the food good, the pool OK but your satisfaction will really depend on the type of room you get.

Room Tip: Ask for an ensuite room
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Spent 4 nights at Safari Beach Lodge, after 3 weeks of voluntary work, and did practically nothing. I had a stunning view from my gazebo. Yes, the bathroom is outdoors, but that was not a problem. Only the basin was leaking a bit. I told them but during my stay it was not repaired. The food was very nice. Breakfast was good, a buffet with choice of different cereals, juice, milk, coffee, tea, bread, butter, jam and fruit. If you want fried eggs, sausages, omelets etc, the kitchen prepaires it for you. The baboon family living on the property is not dangerous, don't harm them then they will not harm you. The youngsters were playing on the grass, which I loved to watch.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I wish I had noticed the last review was written in 2008 before I booked Safari Beach Lodge...I stayed there this past weekend for two nights and I was thoroughly dissapointed. The good stuff - nice views from Gazebo. The bad stuff - Family of Baboons lives on site and drinks from pool, harrasses you at beach, and this morning attacked me. I had to call reception to get someone up there to help me after screaming for someone to help me for ten minutes. You can't swim from their beach, all the furniture is old an dated, the fan in my room was broken, the sheets had dead bugs all over them, their were lizards in the room. The bathrooms are outside of the room and completely outdoors. While in theory that's nice, you can't even leave toilet paper in the bathroom because the babboons attack. For $120 USD, you are paying for worse conditions than if you pitched a tent. Oh and the breakfast fresh fruit options - an apple. Seriously this place is rough.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank MichSL
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Private beach, free kayaks to paddle, refrshing swimming pool.
The rustic gazebos overlook the water offering great views & a great environment to relax on the balcony if you are not on the beach.
The staff are very friendly.
My wife & I stayed for 5 nights. Given that the Beach lodge is in a quite isolated area, 5 nights was probably too long given we didn't have our own transport. So if you're in for a lengthy stay, make sure you've got a big book or a deck of cards.

Food options are limited & as much as the smiley chef does his best, the food coming out of the Safari Beach Lodge kitchen is pretty average. You also need to turn a blind eye to the traffic of rats scurrying in & out of the kitchen.

And Settle your bill in Kwacha. These guys offer a lousy rate on USD.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank piarts_ontour
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We where there for two nights R & R after building two houses for needy famlies with Habitat for Humanity Northern Ireland. One night done us as we where aware of money starting to disappear. It was such a pity as it was a great place on the shore of Lake Malawi

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2011

landscape: we loved the lake and its surroundings
beach: built very nicely, we especially liked the swing under the tree.
rooms: cosy chalets (double or family) with stunning views (you shouldn't be afraid of monkeys =))
meals: we stayed at the Safari for a week, so we got to know the range of food the hotel offers. The food makes use of the local possibilities, it's tasty and nicely presented.
services and staff: concerning the services we especially appreciated the shuttle and laundry service; we experienced the staff as extremely friendly.
care of management: We were very pleased by the warm hospitality of the assistant manager Yobe Thompson.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rmue
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Second trip, came last year and returned after our son keps saying how much he loved it. yes it is rustic and a little upgrade on the rooms would go along way but the view is fantastic and the staff absolutely lovely and so helpful. Food was good, swimming pool spotless and little beach lovely. Our boys had such a wonderful time exploring the rocky terrain. Highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank OxfordAlice08

Been to Safari Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!