“Excellent”

Protea Hotel Blantyre Ryalls
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Blantyre
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a true 4 star hotel. The staff was generous and helpful. They went out of their way to help when someone fell ill and we needed some complex plans made. The hotel dinner & breakfast was excellent. They served a mix of western and local foods (including bird & grasshopper).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Mischa L, General Manager at Protea Hotel Blantyre Ryalls, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear GUEST

I trust you are well. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at PH Ryalls. We really appreciate the positive comments and feedback.

We are glad that you enjoyed our dinner , breakfast and our Malawian theme night buffet .

Thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This place is great. I am a business traveler, and it was what I expected and more from this hotel. My luggage was lost for days, and the front desk was very helpful in advising me where to go to get by. I very much recommend this hotel. Bonus, it has a great restaurant right next door.

Room Tip: The elevator is broken in October 2013, so get a room close to the ground floor!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear GUEST

I trust you are well. We really appreciate the positive comments and feedback.

We are glad that we meet and exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My two months in Malawi had tribulations, and the only way out of Malawi was to take a bus from Blantyre to Lilongwe, (since the domestic air connection between the two cities went away with the recent bankruptcy of Air Malawi.) I decided to first spend a therapeutic night in a really good hotel -- and this was a great one. The Protea was spotless, the staff courteous and professional, the restaurant awesome. The decor was understated elegance, with many historical photos from the colonial past. The Protea took my international credit card (first and only time I used it in Malawi) and the National Bus station was half a block away, downhill, so my morning escape to Lilongwe was painless. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jan R

Dear GUEST

I trust you are well. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at PH Ryalls. We really appreciate the positive comments and feedback and we are extremely happy you enjoyed everything that PH Ryalls has to offer.

We do our best to make sure that the history ,heritage & the story of PH Ryalls is always maintained and accurate , we are glad that you enjoyed the historical photos.

Thank you for your support, we look forward to seeing you again in the future .

Mischa

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a decent hotel in the centre of Blantyre, and I can imagine that its the best, but its not the cheapest (about £100 per night). Everything works - internet, swimming pool, fitness room, bar, tv - but nothing is outstanding, and everything has a glitch (internet is slow, pool is on the wrong side and surrounded by concrete, etc). Given the history of the hotel (evident from the artefacts and pictures) the atmosphere is bland. The only outstanding feature is the breakfast, which is fit for 3 kings. So this is a safe option, but a couple of months later and you will be struggling to remember what it was like.

Dear GUEST

We appreciate your feedback on the areas that need to be worked on, it really assist us in striving to improve our product so that we can maintain excellence and consistency.

We are glad that you enjoyed our scrumptious breakfast.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The rooms were clean and spacious. The food was excellent, a good combination of continental and Malawian cuisine. Staff were friendly and courteous. The surroundings were also very pleasant, a good combination of old charm, and modernity. I would recommend it to anyone visiting Blantyre, for any purpose, as it is centrally located, and easy to find. A must for everyone

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear GUEST

I trust you are well. We really appreciate the positive comments. We are glad that you enjoyed all of our services we have to offer at PH Ryalls.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future .

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Protea Hotels Ryalls is a very good hotel, with clean rooms with very friendly front desk staff and potters. They food is very good as well - a mixture of western cuisine and Malawian traditional food. Each time i have gone to Malawi for business I have always made Protea Hotel Ryalls my home away from home. They just need to continue retraining their staff in the latest trends in customer service as some of their staff were found wanting - particularly the waiters in the 21st Grill restaurant who I find to be rather casual in their service delivery to customers.
The gym attendants also need to be well trained as they were never ever present each time I used the gym.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor are very good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Mischa L, General Manager at Protea Hotel Blantyre Ryalls, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear GUEST

I trust you are well. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at PH Ryalls & the 21Grill. We are very happy that you enjoyed your entire stay with us at PH Ryalls and that you experienced all of what we have to offer.

We really appreciate the feedback it really assists us in striving to improve our product so that we can maintain excellency and consistency always.

Thank you for your support, we look forward to seeing you again in the future .

Mischa

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at Mount Soche, where service and food were both excellent, but decided one evening to try dinner at what was supposed to be the best restaurant in Blantyre. After standing around unattended for about 10 minutes, we went up to a waiter asking for a table. Another 10 minutes passed until we called someone over to order a drink. Ten more minutes, we called a 3rd waiter over to ask for a menu. We asked him to not leave, we will order immediately, but he was not willing to do so. Called waitress no. 4, by now starving. We ask for some bread and give our order. 10 minutes later I got up to take left-over bread from another table. Having specifically asked that there should be no onions in my meal, we start waiting an hour - my food arrived, covered in onions. No apology. My worst restaurant experience ever.

Room Tip: I cant comment on their rooms, but suggest you avoid the place and stay at Mount Soche - great servi...
1  Thank Illse N

Dear GUEST

I trust you are well. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our Restaurant.

I sincerely apologies for the experience that you had. Would you be so kind as to email me a contact number or email address so that I may personally apologies for your experience you had and to get more detailed information about that night.

Mischa : mischa@proteamalawi.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blantyre
Casa Mia Lodge & Restaurant
Malawi Sun Hotel & Conference Centre
Villa 33
Villa 33
#2 of 19 in Blantyre

Been to Protea Hotel Blantyre Ryalls? Share your experiences!