“Relaxing and friendly.”

Ranked #3 of 20 Blantyre B&B and Inns
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
“Relaxing and friendly.”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed in Villa 33 for three months while I was working as a volunteer. We had lived and worked in Blantyre for five years during the late 70s and early 80s, when such establishments did not exist. It was nice to be back. Zein and his staff were most friendly and helpful. It was a very relaxing place to return in the evening, and there was always a pleasant mix of fellow guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter R
Zein D, Owner at Villa 33, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
It was so nice to have you and Fern at the lodge. It was an interesting 3 months with so much stuff happening. I'm sure you have lots of stories to tell all your friends!

You will be happy to know that the building work is finished, and the new structure complements the lodge really well. Thanks for the review and i hope all is well on your end.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed February 6, 2014

4 nights in Blantyre Villa 33 made every one of them a pleasant experience, where would you find such helpful and friendly staff and they are genuine, nothing appears to be too much trouble for them , the food is good , rooms comfortable , rates affordable nicely located quiet and comfortable. So pleasant to sit and just chat with other guests who feel as comfortable as you.
Zain all credit to you and your staff who make the task of guests comfort seem so natural and effortless thank you , I will certainly consider nowhere else on the next trip

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Alan P
Zein D, Owner at Villa 33, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thanks Alan for your very gracious review.
Reading your review makes what we do all the more meaningful.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I had a great stay at Villa 33 and would highly recommend it! Comfortable clean rooms and nice outside spaces to sit and enjoy the garden which is well maintained. Zain and staff were so helpful and friendly and make you feel very welcome. When I go back to Blantyre it will be my 1 & only choice, value for money doesn't get any better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Zein D, Owner at Villa 33, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thanks for the review! It was great having you and the team and after 6 weeks you guys were more like family then guests! Still i'm glad you made it home in time for xmas!
Please do let me know if you guys are coming up again and pass my regards the the others.
El Segundo, California
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed at Villa 33 for a whole week in between two Earthwatch adventures. It was really a great time and the staff took a personal interest in me. They walked me to the local church and market since I did not have a car. For this one American the proprietor cooked a special Thanksgiving Dinner that was completely gratis and absolutely wonderful.
I had more than enough to keep me happy at my villa, which for one person was very roomy. A couple would be very comfortable there. The internet was pretty fast and reasonably priced and I was able to stream NPR while doing other tasks. The staff was friendly and everything I had from the kitchen was consistently good. The chef took a lot of pride in bringing the eggs to you just as you ordered them. I am supposed to eat fish and there was an excellent salmon appetizer. Other Bed and Breakfasts in the area appear a tad rundown, which may fit in with the local culture. Villa 33 had a very nice clean and polished appearance as one would find in Europe or at the better hotels in downtown Blantyre. Villa 33 has a network of taxi drivers that can take you just about anywhere for a reasonable price, and you will know you are getting a fair price. I think the staff helped me with the electrical outlets (I am used to the standard USA plugs) and there was a very nice fan that was hooked to the UPS.

Room Tip: The highest villa is closest to the road. The normal traffic is not a problem.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hwbags
Zein D, Owner at Villa 33, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thanks for the great review!
The Thanksgiving dinner was indeed a lot of fun. Hopefully we will try and make it a yearly tradition at the lodge.
All of us at Vila 33 wish you a very happy New Year !!
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at Villa 33 for a whole week (7th -13th Dec) and enjoyed it all. The place is serene, peaceful with nice landscaping. The management and staff were outstanding and very friendly. It is a good deal for your money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Zein D, Owner at Villa 33, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your review!
It was a pleasure hosting you and your group.
We hope to see you next time you come to Malawi!
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had originally booking to Hostellerie De France, but that place was awful. We decided to see other places nearby and found this safe haven and stayed for many weeks. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good food with possibility to suggest your own dishes. Excellent price quality. If I ever go back to Blantyre this is the place to go!

Cheers from Finland,
Rami

Room Tip: Room number four has nice high ceiling and plenty of space (and a fridge)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rami P
Zein D, Owner at Villa 33, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thanks for reviewing us! I’m happy you made it back home safely and hope all is going well for you. I have showed the staff your review and they were very happy. They pass their regards to you.
Toronto
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is a review of Cafe 33 because I don't see it listed on its own. We made plans to go there based on a write up in my Malawi guide which indicated that they serve tapas. However the menu is on the hotel website and we could tell that was no longer the case.

We arrived during a power outage (frequent in Blantyre) but that was no issue because they have a generator. We ordered the evening's specials, goat curry and campango (fish) in coconut sauce and both were very good. We would have ordered dessert but they didn't have either of the items on the menu (also something we encountered frequently in Blantyre) which were more inticing than the 2 on offer.

Service was attentive, the music was great and the grounds are attractive. The restaurant is located out of the city centre. This is no issue because tourists are advised to drive or take a taxi to most restaurants in the evening anyway, for safety.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Zein D, Owner at Villa 33, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing the restaurant section of Villa 33. I am glad that you enjoyed the food and the music. Next time you visit Malawi, i hope you will come and stay with us as well. We hope to reintroduce some tapas back onto the menu soon, and we will always have our current menu posted on our website.