“Friendly staff, didn't feel like a 5 star hotel”

InterContinental Mzaar Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kfardebian
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I got a free one-night stay at the Intercontinental as a wedding gift through our registry. The gift included a Standard Room with breakfast and access to gym etc. Upon arrival, we were told we had been upgraded (we had requested an upgrade if one were available) to a Premium room. We were grateful and excited.
The room itself was disappointing... Having stayed at '5 star' hotels elsewhere, we were expecting a little more. The little touches were there; the rose petals on the bed and a piece of heart-shaped cake. But from the bowl of lifeless looking fruit on the table, to the size and quality of the room itself, it was...anticlimactic. The room was very small and the facilities were not up to the '5 star' standard. All was clean and neat but not impressive and nothing to be excited about. We even had a missing, unrepaired light in our bathroom ceiling. Our toilet in our room was clogged (plumbing in general was a bit iffy). When we informed the management, a plumber visited our room and plunged the toilet while we were sitting in the room... Not very romantic. Normal procedure would be to offer us another room. Especially being that it wasn't high season and the hotel was relatively empty.
Room service was good. The food was well presented and delicious. This was a plus!
We went down to the lower levels for entertainment and couldn't find anyone to open the bowling lanes for us. We went looking and found a man who was almost hiding from us in the arcade alongside the bowling alley. He was taciturn and lukewarm. He obviously wasn't happy about us being there. We paid 20$ for one game of bowling for 2 people. We felt this was a little excessive for a 20 minute game. In general, all extras seemed overpriced at this hotel. This would be understandable if it had felt like a 5-star hotel in all aspects. But the only place we felt the grandeur of the hotel was in the main lobby!
To sum up, the most impressive thing about this hotel was the friendly staff (with the exception of the man in the bowling alley) and good food. But for the prices they charge for even a Standard room at this place, I feel that it's not up to par. I don't feel like this hotel meets '5-star' standards and I think a little more can be done to remedy that. The facilities in the rooms need to be modernized and a little more effort put into decoration in general. Plumbing should be checked as well! Seems like a lot of hype and prestige for the 'best hotel' in the area. We might be happier just staying at a nearby cheaper place that isn't as pretentious.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a business stay for 1 night with a full package of breakfeast, lunch at refuge and dinner at khaymet hour , it is my third stay at mzar , it is very nice hotel to stay in during high season and low season, the view of roses, green everywhere is so nice, as well as snow in high season, it is very luxurious hotel, the breakfeast had everything and have lot of variety, had only disturbance from the ac, it was working but seems the hotel adjusted to a certain degree and felt bit hot but the experience was very intresting , the location for an abroad travelr may seems far from beirut, but who want to have intimacy and calm, it is the right place

Room Tip: we had a room at the 5th floor, the view from there is wow
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am a regular guest at Mzaar since more than 4 years. There is no equivalent for it as a Mountain resort in Lebanon and the whole Middle East area. The environment is very relaxing with a superb garden, a very nice swimming pool and one of the most beautiful lobbies I have ever visited.
Food is very nice and tasty. Staff are extremely nice and helpful. Over the years I have become a friend of many of their managers and they are all extremely kind.

Mzaar is unique and I recommend every one to visit it.

Mazen Rashidi
Beirut, Lebanon

Room Tip: I like rooms 411 & 511 and 316 & 312
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just spent the weekend there and well I must say it does stand up to the "Intercontinental Hotels" standards: clean rooms (eventhough standard double rooms can be a bit small), friendly staff and cosy atmosphere..
As I said earlier, the stay is better enjoyed during winter season!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed there lately for the Eid vacation.

In general, definitely recommended in winter, but not in summer.

Staff: In general friendly, welcoming, and smiling
Food: Didn't try the restaurants there since I preferred to explore nearby restaurants, by breakfast is really good and well-diversified.
Rooms: require renovation. Still have the 90's look and feel. When I made the reservation, I was told that I was given the most premium and expensive rooms since they were the only ones available. However, balcony is soo small and room size is also small. I do not want to imagine the size of the other standard rooms if that was the most premium room in the hotel.
Bed: not comfortable. Instead of giving us a 1 king-sized bed, they gave us 2 queen sized bed joint together, and you can imagine what it feels like when you sleep all night just in between the 2 beds. it's a back-killer.
Cleanliness: In general acceptable i would say.
Outdoor Activities: shooting and ATV are available, but are ridiculously expensive. They should definitely re-consider pricing of outdoor activities in the summer. It just pissed me off how expensive they way.

There is no outdoor pool, only indoors which is also disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HASSAN T
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of our honeymoon on August 21. They surprised us with red roses and a chocolate cake upon arrival which we thought was very considerate and generous.

Good: This hotel is a great getaway for a few days, situated up in Faraya away from the stresses of modern life. The rooms are moderate in size and are warm and comfortable. The breakfast buffet is one of the most amazing that we have ever had -- Kudos to culinary team. Ther sevice level is high and the team is nice, polite and always willing to help. Price is very much acceptable

Bad: Room service kept called us in the morning to vacate the room so they could clean. We thought this to be rude. Most other 5-star hotels have a switch which you turn on when you leave the room to indicate that the room is ready to be serviced

We will definitely be visiting for long weekends from time to time

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor, though it had a slanted roof, we do recommend it
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We spent one night as a part of our 3rd Lebanon HOG tour . The hotel has a classic style that impressed me, we were more than 250 bikes with everything organized within minutes. Lunch was served to all of us after a long trips on the bikes. Would love to repeat again soon when I return back to Lebanon

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kfardebian
Pineland Hotel and Health Resort
Al Bustan Hotel & Spa
Al Bustan Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Beit Mery
Grand Hills, a Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa

Been to InterContinental Mzaar Mountain Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!