“Not bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Jounieh
London, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

It;s an average hotel and average quality. However, if you want a beach do not go there. They have a couple of swimming pools but the sea water is too dirty in this particular area to go for a swim - you will see. It's a bit overpriced for what it is. If you can book online or via an agent do so otherwise expect to be ripped off by the hotel staff. Check all your bills and expenses. Do not keep any money or valuable items in the room - they may go missing even from the room's safe.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

Don't be fooled by the website photos. The property and rooms are nothing like that. Forget the rating, this is a 2-star property at best. Have stayed there in 2005 for 4 days. Did not remember it being this bad. So we decided to stay there again. Were there for 2 weeks, visiting Lebanon. We had a junior suite which had a small bedroom, a living room area and a small kitchenette.

On the positive side, the location is good, in proximity to Jbeil/Byblos and several of the roads going to the mountains. Going to Beirut is a trip though. Other positives are free wi-fi internet access in the room, a children's pool and one of the waiters in the restaurant who is temporarily there from France, who provided excellent professional service. The positives stop there though.

On the negative side, the employees are not trained to work in the hotel/hospitality industry. One of the "managers" admitted so and said they need a hotel company to come in and "train the guys". The front desk employees were particularly unprofessional and downright rude. Some highlights of our stay there:

- Upon returning at midnight one night with children sleeping, we were greeted to our room by a strong smell of oil. Because the reception never answers when you call, I went down to notify them and the answer was: "what do you want me to do?". After I insisted they have a look, they sent an expert......from room service! This fellow proceeded to reprimand me for not opening the window, as I was told at the reception, because this was apparently the expert solution to toxic oil smells where my children are sleeping. Eventually, we moved to another, less smelly suite of the same size, but we had to pack and unpack at 2 AM without help.

- The room has not been renovated since the 80's. It was also very dirty. The bedsheets they left had blood stains. They always left 2 towels for 4 people. Had to call every day for towels. When we finally got a little irritated and asked them to make a note to leave 4 towels daily, the answer was simply no, because that is the "policy". The faucet is falling apart, the shower is extremely small, hazardous, and falling apart. In a country where you can get a beautiful view virtually anywhere, the view from the room was best avoided.

- At one point, someone vomited in the children's pool. When the lifeguards were notified, it took half an hour for someone to come. They did not notify the people and children in the pool to evacuate them. They proceeded to scoop the stuff toward the skimmer for 20 minutes while everyone was obliviously swimming in the pool.

- There is a kitchenette in the room but no plates, cutlery or anything else. We called down one day to ask for 2 plates and cutlery for 2 people, and were told they would charge us $5 because we are bringing food from outside. The person at the reception could only tell me: "that is what we were told". That begs the question: why is there a kitchenette?

Despite all this, they still charged over $300 US for the room and they even added some non-existing charges (mini-bar) to the bill that we did not use.

We considered moving to Edde Sands, but packing, unpacking, and moving again (after moving once in the middle of the night) would have waisted a day. However, next time, we will stay at a real hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank ccc155032

Travelers are raving about these Jounieh hotels

Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

for a 5 stars hotel, I got a 2 stars service, very poor reception service, no sandy beach, I was charged $20 for minibar which I did not use, exorbitant tel bill. Whenever I requested from the reception to call a taxi, they will charge the tel call on your room bill, disgusting breakfast

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cattan
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

I travelled to Lebanon with my wife, my mother in law and our three boys aged 11, 9 & 7. My brother and his family also travelled with us. I stayed in the Royal suite connecting to an executive room. My brother stayed in a two bedroom family suite. We came to Lebanon to see the country and to get some sun. We stayed 3 weeks.

After reading previous reviews I did not have high expectations of the hotel, despite being a so called 5 star hotel. I will try to give as much pro and cons as I can.

In short I would not stay here again and would rate this hotel 3 star at best.

The reason we chose this hotel was because of the location in Jounieh.

The hotel itself is very tired and needs updating. But I guess they are always fully booked so they probably dont care.

THE ROOMS => The Royal Suite was quite large which suited us. It has a large master bedroom with ensuite. It has big lounge room, and dining. The bathroom was quite dated. The Room itself was quite dirty. The bottoms of our feet got dirty from walking on the carpet. Management eventually sent a carpet cleaner in. There are no coffee/tea making facilities in any of the rooms. There are no irons either. Trying to get an iron and iron board was like searching for gold. For the first week we had the soap in our shower on the floor. The Soap holder was missing. The faucets in the bathrooms and the flow of water was poor. The beds were okay to sleep in. My brother stayed in the 2 Bedroom Family suite. It was much smaller than my room. He chose it because it had a kitchenette....... but dont be fooled there is no cutlery, glasses, plates, pan etc in the Kitchenette. There is not a single item. So what is the point of having it. My parents also popped in and stayed in a normal room for a week. The room was a decent size but tired as the rest of the rooms.

SERVICE => The restaurant in the hotel was very average. We asked for bottle opener to keep in our room. They claimed didn't have many and we would need to call room service for someone to come an open up our wine bottle. Despite having 6 people in our room they repeatedly left 3 towels every day. So every day we would need to call to get more towels. Room service was okay.

POOL/BEACH => TERRIBLE. First they are both a decent walk from the hotel. There is no beach so dont even bother. The Pool is falling apart. The water in the pool is very salty, they must use sea water. Our boys couldn't last long in the water. I didnt put my head in for long. The jumping blocks were rusting and you were not allowed to use them. Pool chairs were plastic. You did not feel you were in a 5 star pool area.

LOCATION => Had I had my time again I would have stayed 1 week in Beirut and do trips close to Beirut and the south. Then I would a spent the rest of my time in the area from Jounieh to Byblos/Jbeil. The hotel was in a good location as its central to Beirut/north/south and Mountains. Close by is a great supermarket. We made breakfast in our rooms and bought refreshments from there. The views from the hotel weren't great. There is a big empty ugly paddock next doors and the pool area ... which cant be seen and its in the way of the view. The one great thing is that you get great sunsets. You still need a car.

OTHER NEGATIVES => Every Friday/Saturday/Sunday night expect a wedding around the pool area. So you will need to get use to blaring music and fireworks. The lift is slow and broke down a number of times in the first week we were there. Furniture, Blinds, bed cover in rooms were very dated and they looked dirty. Their billing system for room service and charges was pre historic! Keep an eye on your bill.

POSITIVES => Rooms were spacious. Conveniently located if you want to see country. While not a Plasma TV.... you were spoilt for choices for TV stations.

In short I would not stay here again. It was okay in the end because it was more place to sleep for us as we were seeing the country. BUT DONT DARE STAY HERE IF YOU ARE HERE FOR R&R.

We went to Edde Sands and used there swimming pools (you have to pay). Its further north in Byblos. The Bungalows there are beautiful and right next to pools. I would definitely stay there next time because of quality of bungalows and pool area. Be warned though.... they too have weddings close by. Another option is the Chateau Raphael Hotel. It is in a better part of Jounieh. We could get the Royal Suite there at a better rate than what I was paying in the Portemilio. Further, It was a far bigger, newer and better room then Portemilio and had breath taking views over the Mediaterrean. You basically were staying right over it and had amazing views of Jounieh Bay! There was heaps of restaurants right on the same street. We didnt move because there was no room for my brother's family.

Any questions shoots me a message.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gkace
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

No beach, no service worth mentioning, rooms are adequate as long as you dont mind the neighbours rooster waking you at 3:40am til dawn, housekeeping................do they exist? I asked 3 times for an iron, twice for a bottle opener, had my shower curtain removed, towels not replaced, and when I made it known to reception, i had the shower curtain returned and all my towels removed.............whats the logic i missed with this.

Its in the burbs, and the local cab fare is 40USD to downtown beirut, so its kind of an expensive trip, you could save on a hotel in town that is slightly more expensive.

By choice, wouldnt stay there again unless I had to. Not the worst experience i have ever had.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Beirut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

I knew this hotel since late 80s early 90s and it was one the most amazing hotels, if not THE best, in Jounieh (Kaslik). My wife booked a room for one day on my birthday so we could relax and enjoy the beach.

The surprised was when we reached the room, the rooms are still the same as they were in the 80s same old furniture, draps etc. Bathroom was old, the closet had a weird smell.

The hotel contains several pools and this is the only good thing that we found.

At night we though of going to the hotel restaurant thinking about a nice romantic dinner, but to our surprise there was no restaurant only a piano bar and the food is awful and extremely expensive.

If you wanna visit this hotel please do it on your own responsibility and have a backup plan. You have been warned

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Patrick C
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

This hotel should not be rated higher than 2 stars. The service is terrible, the property antiquated and not updated, the maintenance is lacking and housekeeping is anything but that. Did I mention rude employees and front desk people

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank aphlaton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jounieh
Portaluna Hotel&Resort
Bel Azur
Bel Azur
#8 of 29 in Jounieh
Le Royal Hotel - Beirut

Been to Portemilio Hotel And Resort? Share your experiences!