“I had the worst customer service experience ever”

Castel Mare Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Byblos
Lebanon
“I had the worst customer service experience ever”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was last summer. I wanted to rent a chalet for a 3 day getaway. I called the hotel and spoke to a male receptionist who gave me a good offer. I told him that I will get back to him in 4 hour.
After 4 hours, I called and a very rude female receptionist answered me and gave me a whole different (much more) expensive package. When I told her what the other receptionist said, she responded that he was new and didn't know what he was talking about. She was answering in a very rude way. I told her I would like to talk to a manager. Surprised and again terribly rude, she refused to transfer me to a manager.
I called the other day and asked to talk to the manager. After back and forth interrogation with the reception staff, I could reach the manager. He was apologetic at first especially after I explained to him that my friend had been here a week earlier and got the first package price I was told about by the male receptionist earlier. He insisted that there must have been something wrong with the answers I got and gave me a third package! He assured me that this will be fixed and that he will call me back on the same day and give me a final answer.
Three days later, I still didn't get any response. I called and asked to speak with the manager. The female receptionist answered me and still as rude as the first time blaming me for being the one who "reported her" to her manager. She started shouting that this is all what I will get from all this, insisting that I will not talk to the manager and surprisingly she gave me a 4th package!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ARMass445

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed February 17, 2013

i spend who days in this hotel i rate for 1 star only
bad smell ,no internet wifi,no water heater in the room, double bed but 2 Mattress,bathtub no cover ,no minibar ,kitchen closed at 4 pm ,bad parking ,tv mod 1970 ,so this is the last last time i visite this hotel
this hotel it is for a couple to spend a half hour only

Room Tip: dont visit this hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Byblos hotels

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We wanted to spend a romantic carefree night and we got a nightmare. At around 2 am we smelled something burning and then smoke filled the room. We hurried to the lobby to see the staff panicking trying to get people to leave their rooms. A big fire has erupted in the ballroom and no fire alarm system!! People got stuck,firefighters took forever to get there! Such a terrible experience, went looking for a place to stay in at 4 am. I hope the management gets everything under control.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one weekend, the rooom was not cleaned from the previous stay despite the fact that we booked the executive suite! The room was extremely noisy from a night club below until 4AM in the morning. The breakfast sucks and they had cake bought from the supermarket!

Room Tip: Do not go there! not worth the money at all! We asked for a baby cot: they brought us a dirty laund...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alain M
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were so disappointed when we got to this hotel that we decided to cancel our reservations as soon as we saw the room. it just didn't feel like a 5 star hotel at all. it's definitely not worth the money..

Room Tip: If you can avoid booking in this hotel, it would be best..there are plenty of other decent hotels ne...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bassoum
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 8, 2010

it's one of my best vacation ever with my family,perfect Resort family wise ,we were there when the hotel and all the appartments were occupied, you don't feel the crowed because it's a private Resort no public access.clean water ,we enjoyed it 's natural swimming pool made by natural rocks ,good food,and good service ,perfect staff, so welcoming and helpful.
it's a perfect place for your vacation i advice it to everyone coming to Byblos it's the best and the only resort in the area.
my children still remembering and keep talking about this vacation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Beirut
Reviewed August 8, 2010

First things first this hotel is a three stars, if someone tells you the opposite than they are fooling you.

We booked our room over the phone three days earlier and asked for a baby crib. We arrived at 4:30 PM checked in at the reception where we were informed that they do not accept Credit Cards (we found out later that this is a lie they just prefer cash) and do not even have the machine. We paid a down payment cash and reminded the reception that we need a baby crib for our 9 month old baby and went to the room.

The room was spacy but the wall paint need some work, the A/C was a split system and very noisy. After 20 minutes we called the reception asking for the crib and were promised that it will be in the room in 10 mn. 1 hour passed and no one came we called back and again with the same promise and same result.

At 8 PM we went to a restaurant in Jbeil (Byblos) called Ksar great food and kids have a place to play. Before going we passed by the reception to complain about the crib and we were promised that when we come back we will find the crib in the room. We came back at 10 PM and to no surprise the crib was not there. We called the reception again twice and complained that the baby needs to sleep and if there is no crib available we would leave, 10 mn later the crib was in the room. I don't want to blame the reception people as they were eager to help over the phone maybe it was the mistake of the room service.

The hotel has one big pool but it is more than enough as there was not so many people. There is also beach access but it's not sandy and no shallow water.

The breakfast was delicious and lots of choices but don't expect to find much if you go after 10:00.

Lunch at the beach restaurant is at most average not more.

Bottom line is if you are on a tight budget and want to enjoy the sun and the beach then this is the hotel to go to otherwise you can find plenty of better hotels 4* and up.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family