“Friendly, warm, beautiful place to stay”

Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I wasn't sure about staying in a tent, but this was the most luxurious tent you'd ever see. From the wooden deck, beautifu wood floors, netted canopy beds and luxurious bathroom, it was a delight. It does come along with the sounds of the wildlife outside at night, but it was only bothersome once. Wonderful hospitality....meeting us with juice and towels upon arrival to freshen up, coffee and cookies delivered to the tent as part of our wake-up call. The food was great. Was skeptical of the courgette soup, but don't be....it was *delicious*! I loved that the dining room is covered, but open air! The staff was extremely accommodating and helpful throughout our stay at this beautiful place. Only downside....and it's a small one....is that the wifi is very weak.

Room Tip: The tents are spread out. If you don't want to walk far, request a tent close to the reception/d...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nialover
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
So glad you enjoyed. Your comment on WiFi noted. This will be addressed.
Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Can be found at the Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp where the service begins with clean hand towels and a glass of juice upon arrival to 5 course dinners to the gentle way they wake you in the morning with hot coffee and cookies. My favorite place to stay where the tents look like hotel rooms with full bathrooms and the service is always with a smile.

• Stayed: May 2013
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Hello Guest,
I will add absolutely nothing as i fully agree with you.
The Samburu Intrepids Team

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at the Samburu Intrepids toward the end on June 2013. We cannot even begin to express how appreciative we are of Stella (manager) and her staff. Our luggage did not make one of the international transfers to Nairobi. They were so helpful in making sure that the luggage got on the correct domestic flight to the camp. When Kenya Airways screwed up and didn't send our second bag in time, they arranged transfer of the bag to our next stop at the Mara Intrepids. Our guide/driver Sebastian was super friendly and knowledgeable. It would not have been the same trip without him! We saw the Samburu Special Five and so much more. Again what makes this place so special the hardworking and attentive staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acqueen
BeutifulKenya64, COO at Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

We are glad we were of service. We trust you enjoyed yourself and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

THis was my 3rd trip to Africa for a photography safari. This property was wonderful. Stella at reception was always around and checking on us. The Adventure Club for the kids was wonderful and kept them busy during the down time between game drives. Would absolutely stay there again. Monkeys are a bit of a bugger, but they are everywhere!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cwaltonfrazier
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Fabulous indeed. We can testify that even as associates we enjoy working here. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Without a doubt some of the best service we have ever experienced. The staff are so friendly and dedicated to ensuring your stay is memorable, without being intrusive.
The personal touches in the tents such as chocolates and wine, as well as the delicious four course meals add to this wonderful experience.
The game drives are amazing and our driver made every effort to find all the animals we wanted to see, and we left having seen all of the special 5 of samburu!
The tutorials on the samburu tribes and animals of the reserve added to the evenings.
We also got to experience the surprise of having a monkey in our tent! Entirely our own fault and easily resolved, but adds to the wonder that is this reserve.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Downey25

Indeed. We are so glad you enjoyed.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at Samburu Intrepids mid June of this year. The camp was great and the service and food wonderful. We would get a packed breakfast to eat on the "road" each day and after the first day we wanted different food. The next day they gave us what we asked for except the extra protein we requested. That night we had a sincere apology from management and they gave us complimentary compensation which was unexpected and appreciated. The tents were in great shape and we did not see one mosquito. They did not leave hair conditioners so if you usually use this you should bring your own. They do not wash underware due to cultural beliefs so soap or shampoo were the replacement for this. The 7pm lectures with Tilas were wonderful and quite informative.
The wildlife was awesome and a great variety. The elephants were plenty and very close to the vehicle so I would recommend a lens 55-105 or so for you photographers. I used (3) 32 GIG Cards and (4) 16 gig cards on this trip but it was a 10 day safari.
The roads are bumpy so if there are any back issues I would bring an air disc to sit on to cushion the blow.

Room Tip: Rooms all pretty equal, #26 farthest away but quiet...also seemed hotter than other rooms as airflow...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PTTraveler101

Hello Guest,
We are glad you were served to your expectations. Thank you so much for finding time to share your comments.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I visited here for 3 nights at the end of May/beginning of June. I was met at the airstrip by Sebastian, who was to be my guide/driver for the next 3 days. I was the only passenger and the drive to the camp turned out to be one of the best game drives I have experienced. Within minutes of entering the Reserve the wildlife came thick and fast - the birdlife was prolific as was the big game. We came upon a huge bull elephant, quickly followed by another and witnessed the two of them having a dominance fight. Around the next bend we encountered a herd of 2 to 3 hundred elephants crossing the river. A sighting such as this is rare and it was a real privilege to witness it.
Upon arriving at the camp ( very late for lunch because of the great drive there ! ) I was greeted with a welcome cold fruit juice . I was then treated like a VIP for the rest of my stay. I have a disability that affects my mobility and limbs, but I need not have worried as all of the staff members ensured that I was taken care of with exceptional courtesy and kindness. Nothing was too much trouble . Kenneth, a delightfully pleasant young man, was my waiter at my first meals and he made sure that I was comfortable and carried my food choices from the buffet to my table for me.
The game drives with Sebastian at the helm were among the best I have ever experienced in all of my numerous visits to Africa ( though this was my first trip as a disabled person). He was tireless in his determination to find the game, and ensured that we saw virtually everything that we wanted. The highlight for me was seeing the African Wild Dogs which, sadly, are now extremely rare. Our little gang in the vehicle could not fault Sebastian on anything. His knowledge of, and commitment to, the wildlife was second to none. The list of everything we saw under his expert guidance is a very long one.
Back at the camp in between game drives the hospitality and friendliness of all members of staff ensured that my visit was a delightful experience. Cleophas, a charming young man, was "assigned" to me and looked after me royally, not only at mealtimes but throughout my stay. He carried my camera, binoculars etc. for me, helped me to and from my tent and even, on one occasion, prevented me from falling when I was particularly wobbly one day.
Stella, the manager, was always pleasant and charming and took time to talk with me every day. Her smile, like that of all of the staff, lit up the camp. Martin, the barman, served a great Tusker beer for me in the evenings and chatted to me about the day's game viewing . He too helped me get about the camp .
After dinner I was always escorted back to my tent by Dario . He was around during the day and always kept a watchful eye on me and stepped in if I needed help. Joy, who was a waitress and worked in the shop, brought a meal to my tent one night when I was unwell and made sure that I was comfortable.
The facilities were fantastic . The tents, all overlooking the river, were luxurious and extremely comfortable. I had a twin tent to myself and could not fault the cleanliness and attention to detail .
The food was delicious and plentiful . I am a picky eater but there was always something that I could eat, and it was presented beautifully.
All in all I think that this is THE best place to stay if you are contemplating taking a trip to Samburu. The setting is superb, the staff fantastic and the game viewing truly outstanding. Do not delay, book it today !!

Room Tip: As far I as I could see all of the tents have great views of the river.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark D

We thank you for this wonderful testimony. We are so glad you had a nice time and you felt well served.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samburu National Reserve
#6 of 16 in Samburu National Reserve
Saruni Samburu
Saruni Samburu
#1 of 16 in Samburu National Reserve

Been to Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp? Share your experiences!