I visited here for 3 nights at the end of May/beginning of June. I was met at the airstrip by Sebastian, who was to be my guide/driver for the next 3 days. I was the only passenger and the drive to the camp turned out to be one of the best game drives I have experienced. Within minutes of entering the Reserve the wildlife came thick and fast - the birdlife was prolific as was the big game. We came upon a huge bull elephant, quickly followed by another and witnessed the two of them having a dominance fight. Around the next bend we encountered a herd of 2 to 3 hundred elephants crossing the river. A sighting such as this is rare and it was a real privilege to witness it.
Upon arriving at the camp ( very late for lunch because of the great drive there ! ) I was greeted with a welcome cold fruit juice . I was then treated like a VIP for the rest of my stay. I have a disability that affects my mobility and limbs, but I need not have worried as all of the staff members ensured that I was taken care of with exceptional courtesy and kindness. Nothing was too much trouble . Kenneth, a delightfully pleasant young man, was my waiter at my first meals and he made sure that I was comfortable and carried my food choices from the buffet to my table for me.
The game drives with Sebastian at the helm were among the best I have ever experienced in all of my numerous visits to Africa ( though this was my first trip as a disabled person). He was tireless in his determination to find the game, and ensured that we saw virtually everything that we wanted. The highlight for me was seeing the African Wild Dogs which, sadly, are now extremely rare. Our little gang in the vehicle could not fault Sebastian on anything. His knowledge of, and commitment to, the wildlife was second to none. The list of everything we saw under his expert guidance is a very long one.
Back at the camp in between game drives the hospitality and friendliness of all members of staff ensured that my visit was a delightful experience. Cleophas, a charming young man, was "assigned" to me and looked after me royally, not only at mealtimes but throughout my stay. He carried my camera, binoculars etc. for me, helped me to and from my tent and even, on one occasion, prevented me from falling when I was particularly wobbly one day.
Stella, the manager, was always pleasant and charming and took time to talk with me every day. Her smile, like that of all of the staff, lit up the camp. Martin, the barman, served a great Tusker beer for me in the evenings and chatted to me about the day's game viewing . He too helped me get about the camp .
After dinner I was always escorted back to my tent by Dario . He was around during the day and always kept a watchful eye on me and stepped in if I needed help. Joy, who was a waitress and worked in the shop, brought a meal to my tent one night when I was unwell and made sure that I was comfortable.
The facilities were fantastic . The tents, all overlooking the river, were luxurious and extremely comfortable. I had a twin tent to myself and could not fault the cleanliness and attention to detail .
The food was delicious and plentiful . I am a picky eater but there was always something that I could eat, and it was presented beautifully.
All in all I think that this is THE best place to stay if you are contemplating taking a trip to Samburu. The setting is superb, the staff fantastic and the game viewing truly outstanding. Do not delay, book it today !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samburu Intrepids' location deep inside the reserve guarantees close encounters with Samburu's shyer species, including elephant, leopard and Samburu famous 'special five' - the rare reticulated giraffe, long-necked genernuk antelope, Somali ostrich, Grevy's zebra, and majestic Beisa oryx. This luxurious tented lodge offers modern tents with a private view over the riverbanks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda and Hotwire so you can book your Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp Hotel Samburu National Reserve
- Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp Kenya/Samburu National Reserve