This was my first trip to Samburu after many trips to Maasai Mara and Tsavo, and I was very impressed by the variety of animals. Intrepids is a mid-range tented camp, and is a good value for the money. The food was inconsistent, ranging from okay to excellent. The camp is run on generator power and they post a regular schedule which provides plenty of opportunity to recharge batteries. I read all other reviews and the Heritage website before going in an attempt to find out if there was internet access available at the camp but could not find the answer anywhere. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is free wifi access available near the reception area. The speed was not adequate to upload any photos but it did allow me to stay in touch via email and facebook.
The camp manager, Richard, went out of his way to make sure all our needs were met; and his attitude toward customer service is reflected in his staff. Everyone from the receptionist, Doris, to the dining staff to the driver/guide went the extra mile to provide an excellent experience. If you have time, be sure to schedule a massage; Salmah is an excellent massage therapist!
The highlight to any safari is the wildlife, and we saw it all. Our experience started as we traveled from the airstrip to the camp and the driver spotted a cheetah ready to hunt. We sat for about 10 minutes then saw the cheetah bring down an impala and stayed to watch the whole process. We also saw lions and a baby leopard, along with many elephants, giraffes, and a wide variety of antelope.
In short, Intrepids was a very comfortable and affordable base and the staff did everything possible to ensure we had a great experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samburu Intrepids' location deep inside the reserve guarantees close encounters with Samburu's shyer species, including elephant, leopard and Samburu famous 'special five' - the rare reticulated giraffe, long-necked genernuk antelope, Somali ostrich, Grevy's zebra, and majestic Beisa oryx. This luxurious tented lodge offers modern tents with a private view over the riverbanks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp Hotel Samburu National Reserve
- Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp Kenya/Samburu National Reserve