“Wonderful Experience”
Review of Sasaab Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Samburu National Reserve
Sasaab Lodge
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights in camp. Sasaab was the first of a 4 part visit to East Africa and did not dissapoint us, even with all the hoopla in the reviews.
The positioning of camp and our quartrers are on the side of a hill overlooking a river and vast plains beyond. Just an awesome view. The quest quarters are individual units, very spacious and well appointed tented bugalows with high thatched roofs and open air seating with spectaular elevated views to the plians accross the river. I nodded off in our bungalow plunge pool at dusk and awoke to the most spectaular starshow I have ever seen. There are plenty of plugs to recharge batteries, hot water for showers and the linen service was prompt and efficient.
The food is fantastic and the service is exemplaray, meeting our asks graciously and promptly. Both walking and 4X4 safaris were filled with game and spectacular photo opportunitites. Back at camp, the resident cats, DikDiks and a plethora of birds were host to a lively environment.
Oh, almost forgot about the spa, which the Mrs enduldged twice to her highest approval.

Room Tip: they are all great rooms. tip to ask which plugs are live 24hr bc some go out with the lights at nig...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kip a
There are newer reviews for Sasaab Lodge

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We've stayed in many nice hotels around the world, but this one ranks among the very best. The rooms/tents are enormous and beautifully appointed. They overlook a river and vast landscape. There are several seating areas with couches and comfortable chairs. There's a private dipping pool for each room to cool off and get rid of the dust from a day of safari. There's also a spa that offers great massages and facials, and a larger swimming pool. The attention to detail is amazing, from personal care kits, robes, and coffee/tea delivery in the morning, to art supplies, animal/plant guidebooks, lovely soaps and lotions, and much more. The decor is tasteful and very well suited to the environment. The open air bathroom may come as a surprise until you realize that the rooms are set up for privacy. The food is excellent, with lots of diverse, fresh ingredients - including for picnics on safari. We really enjoyed the chance to go on guided walks, including a sundowner to a nearby hillside with spectacular views. For animals, we saw literally hundreds of elephants in the park, a genet in the hotel's main lodge area, and a pack of rare and elusive wild dogs across the river as we were enjoying breakfast - plus lots more.
The staff and guides were great. We went as a couple and came back with new friends.
Definitely a top choice!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vgwin
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the lodge late Feb 2013 the second stop on our 2 week safari. We stayed here in 2010 and loved the richly appointed lodge. This time the property, management, staff, accommodations and food ranked 5 STARS. Doug and Tanya are great hosts and made our stay memorable. It is a great location to view lots of wildlife. Highly recommend this lodge. We stayed in other Tamimi properties in 2010 and they really know the value of quality of service. Be sure to do the SPA

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vincent A
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I am overdue with writing this review. My husband and I actually visited in October 2011 and after traveling extensively through Kenya, I have to say that this is one of our very favorite lodges. The setting is spectacularly situated above the river where elephants visit to drink from it. The cottages and baths are gorgeously designed and huge and I loved the breathtaking view from our own private plunge pool with little dik-diks hanging around nearby. The food was good and we loved eating alfresco above the river by lantern light with resident genet cats and hyraxes . The main lodge was a masterpiece of design.

We were moved to a different cottage after our first night because all they had were twin bedded rooms at first. Note, beds where a bit too firm for me but overly firm beds seem to be more the norm in Kenya than not. As an apology for the move, the relief manager gave us each a complimentary massage which was very nice. During my massage I was able to watch elephants grazing at the river. The spa was just as beautifully designed as everything else. We swam in the main pool near the spa since our plunge pool was too cold despite the extreme heat in early October. I will ad here that the main pool either needed to be scrubbed around the edges or painted.

We mainly relaxed at the lodge and did not do much in the way of game drives other than from the airport since the game in Samburu is not as extensive as some other areas of Kenya. The Lodge is in it's own conservancy about 20 minutes from the Samburu gate. We enjoyed our hike which ended with a sundowner. We visited the conservancy's Samburu village and school and I appreciated that this was all included in the price. The Samburu did not hound us to buy something from them at the end like the Masai do after you pay to visit their villages. I wanted to go on the complimentary camel ride as well, but the camels were not back from a mobile safari that 2 other guests had gone on for a couple days.

All in all, this is one of the few places in Kenya that I would LOVE to go back too.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jrsygrl
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This review is long overdue but I had to comment on how amazing our visit was. My husband and I spent 2 night and so wish we could have stayed longer. Tanya and Doug are two of the nicest people you will ever meet. They are so warm and welcoming that you feel like family. I celebrated my birthday while staying at Sasaab- they baked a cake, sang happy birthday and took tons of pictures (which they were kind enough to email to us once we were back home in the states). The views are absolutely stunning, the staff was super friendly and food was delicious. We loved the family style dinners and met interesting people who had traveled from all over the world to visit Sasaab. I highly recommend booking Sasaab Lodge- I wish we could go back and stay longer!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amschindler
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Somewhere before Nanyuki i received a phone call and it was Doug explaining that he is calling from Sasaab to check on me, find out how far we’d come and let me know i can reach him incase of anything! That was the first real realization that this place is more like visiting a friend for a sleepover than going to a hotel for Holiday.
Fast forward to Samburu national reserve and the park is full of animals. So great to see elephants and lions in the wild.
At Sasaab and Doug and Tanya personally welcomed us with staff and Sikele our room steward. Tanya asks what time we want dinner and where and we settle for a private dinner in our room and head down. The view is stunning, pictures cant really show the beauty of this place. The room is HUGE and open and you can hear all the bush noises, we have our own private plunge pool on our balcony with the view of the river below.
The food is great... simple to create the feeling that you are at home but still different.
The game drives and sundowners are great. Mike our driver and Eric our guide and spotter are great guys, keep the conversation going and captivating. We spot alot of animals and breakfast in the bush with a herd of elephant is quite the experience. The sundowner is on a rock with 360 degrees view of the Samburu, Mathews mountains and Mt Kenya.
On our check out day everyone came to say bye. Just like when you visit a friend. Thanks Tanya and Doug and the team for an awesome time. We are sure to come back!

Room Tip: Unless with family when you may want rooms 8 & 9, all the rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed three nights together at Sasaab, it was one of the most memorable holidays of our life. staff were very friendly and welcoming after every excursion, there was privacy, great food and sun. What more could you ask for....only to be awed by the animals and wildlife, stunning natural views and wonderful local people. If you want it all then, this is the place. Thank you Helle for organising such a wonderful trip.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolm F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samburu National Reserve
Sarova Shaba Game Lodge
Sarova Shaba Game Lodge
#1 of 1 in Shaba National Reserve
Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp
Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented ...
#2 of 16 in Samburu National Reserve
#6 of 16 in Samburu National Reserve
Ashnil Samburu Camp
Ashnil Samburu Camp
#4 of 16 in Samburu National Reserve

Been to Sasaab Lodge? Share your experiences!