“Fantastic place”

Kivulini Luxury Resort
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Malindi
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 week in early jan 2014. We originally booked for 3 nights but we liked it so much that we extended our stay for additional 4 nights! The place was recently refurbished and is now under new management. There is an Amazing buffet restaurant, with superb food, classy atmosphere and reasonable prices. Very nice rooms with AC, mini bar, lots of space and nice balcony. The pool is very big with nice sea views and lovely relax area. The staff were amazing, there were activities everyday and night for guests e.g aqua aerobics, bingo, music and other fun activities. We got to know all the staff and other guests and we were quite happy to spend most of our time in the hotel. The activities and nice people meant we never got bored :) it's 10-15 minutes drive to Malindi town so you also have the option of going there in evenings for dinner/bars or daytime for shopping. Great place to stay, we are looking forward to going back :)

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennie1980_13
There are newer reviews for Kivulini Luxury Resort

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel over the dec period, whilst the hotel is ideally situated overlooking the coast with a decent sized swimming pool. The service and room quality leave alot to be desired. It took about 45 mins to be checked in, a bus load of Italian tourists arrived 15 mins after us but they all had their room keys allocated while we waited. Collecting luggage from the car seemed like a chore that the porters accepted reluctantly. We were greeted with drinks in the lobby but I would have preferred my room key.

We were then escorted to our room which was a mini bungalow attached to others. The room was musty and as weary travellers we were both unimpressed with the quality of the furnishings. The AC made the room very cold and I asked for a blanket and 2 extra pillows, 30 mins later these still hadnt arrived and I had to chase with reception. The porter came to the room to announce she didnt know where the blankets were and that she would take a look. Sometime later she returned with a musty smelly blanket. I asked for my clothes to be ironed because the room didnt have an iron. Although we were charged my dress looked exactly the same as did my husbands shirt n shorts.

I asked reception for someone from housekeeping to draw the mosquito net and spray the insecticide so that the room would be bug free after our return from dinner. However we found nothing actioned except a can of bug spray next to the door on our return from dinner.

Meal times were good, there was a good array although the meat wasnt halal which is strange for a Kenyan resort. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly and did all they could to ensure you left happy.

After dinner entertainment was a let down, a crew of 2 guys and 3 girls did a series of sketches and dances. None were infused with drama, comedy or the local culture which I was a little disappointed about. The content was perhaps not appropriate for a mixed audience with toilet humour in abundance.

The checkout next day was again underwhelming. We had to wait another 45 mins for our luggage to be brought from the room to the car. No apologies.

If you expect great service from this hotel then I suggest you pick another. Its undeserving of its title.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
raffaele c, Direttore at Kivulini Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Traveller,

we want thank you very much for your review. We are analyzing what’s happened during your short stay at Kivulini Luxury Resort and we apologize that you haven’t enjoyed our resort and our services that always, since your comment, have been very positive and satisfactory.

We really looking forward on welcoming again at Kivulini in order to have another chance to give you our best attentions and services.

VRclub Managing Director

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at this resort for four days during Christmas 2013. The staff at this hotel were very friendly and helpful especially a receptionist named Mary, better than anywhere else in kenya I stayed. The Rooms were big with air condition and the usuals. The problem I encountered is the TV Channels, mostly Italian speaking channels and not clear, no movies. We had some problems with the bathroom but the maintanance guys were prompt and rectified the problem.

The Breakfast was mainly pastry based so we did not like it very much, though we ordered omletes it was very late to come, The guy who fries is very short memory guy, I guess you have to wait there.

The drinks were very expensive around 8 dollars for a tot of a normal whisky, some other resorts we have been to around the North Coast were much cheaper

The Swimming Pool was large with many activities organised by the enertainment team

Apart from a few shortfalls, this is a very nice Resort which I Would recommend to anyone going to Malindi

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful holiday here. And a nice christmas. they had a choir entertaining us throughout christmas eve night and free drinks going around as guests mingle then at midnight santa showed up with gifts for children.
It's a very beautiful quite and serene place with rooms overlooking the ocean. You wake up looking at the scenic ocean and African sunrise from the comfort of your bed and the sun rays streams through the glass doors and windows and at night you can sit at the balcony with a drink and enjoy the warmth of ocean view while looking at the stars and moon.
We enjoyed swimming at the pool. The food was delicious and diverse, friendly and helpful staff. It's a place you will feel at home. We will definitely come back again!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed in kivulini for four nights with my girls. I must say it was the best decision I ever made as far as booking this luxury resort. The rooms are big and spacious! The surroundings are breathtaking and everyone is so welcoming and lovely, I enjoyed the food and I was catered for perfectly. From yoga in the morning with Anya to fun activities with Pablo and Mauricio!!! Rafael was also very pleasant and professional he really made us feel at home.
The pool is spectacular! For a new hotel that opened three months ago to be this good is not a surprise because it has great staff.
Not forgetting about Francis he was funny and pleasant too.
I must end this review here and I will definitely be back. Home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a memorable two nights stay for our marriage anniversary. Service was prompt and the staff very pleasant and helpful! A proper sandy beachfront would have earned the resort the five stars. Nonetheless, I hope to visit again and would definitely recommend a visit.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2012

the street to reach the resort is not with asphalt and takes about 10-15 minutes with car on a very bad stony and sandy road.
the largeness of the beach is only about 100 meters and depth of 10 meters...if the tidal marine is low.
the best thing that i appreciate is the swimming pool, one is for kids, the other is very nice and deep, but from 6.00 PM every day you can't swim anymore because they put chlorine inside.
the rooms don't have the phone, so you can't call other rooms for keep in contact, or for decide when to meet somewhere.
the first 2 days we didn't have in the rooms the shower gel, the foam and the soap.
the water everywhere, from the swimmingpool up to the shower in your room is salty!
I thought it was a soft all inclusive, but you have to pay for a coffe, a beer or other special drinks.
the crew was not very polite, and if you were asking something that it was in the program that they didn't do, they sad that it was not their fault because they are not so many people! (but it's not my problem!e.g.:two times they didn't do the dance lessons)
the food was normal, with a not very big choice, and on the menu there is alvays written that they do something on the grill, but it happened just twice!
From 10:00 PM you can't drink anything for free, even water!!!!
if you loose a beach towel it cost 25 euro!
for having the key of the safe in your room it cost 2 euro per day!
the good things are:
there is a doctor 2 hours a day
the swimmingpool
the safari
as much as I liked Kenya so I did not like the resort!
for sure:it's not a 4 * resort...not with european standards!

Room Tip: rooms from 200 are on the second level, and they are better, with a little bit more of privacy and p...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Marco R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malindi
Driftwood Beach Club
Sandies Tropical Village
Scorpio Villas
Scorpio Villas
#3 of 28 in Malindi

Been to Kivulini Luxury Resort? Share your experiences!