“Clean, fantastic, laid-back, homey hotel with a wonderful host!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Malindi
Hotel African Pearl
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Malindi
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I read about African Pearl in one of the guidebooks and it sounded great, but it seemed a bit out of my budget. However, when I stopped by the room rate was better than I expected and my friends and I decided to stay.

We had a huge room with an awesome big balcony. I really liked the colorful decorations in the hotel. It's not a super luxurious, polished type of hotel, but more homey and local art kind of place. All the beds had mosquito nets, too!

The hotel is set off the road so you don't have much noise and surrounding gardens offered a peaceful respite from a hectic trip. We spent a ton of time lounging around the pool and swimming.

One drawback was there was no food offered on-site, but we asked and could use their cooking facilities when we wanted. Also, there was a great (but expensive) pizza/italian nearby and a nice, local open air type restaurant with a variety of affordable meals nearby (see pic).

The best part of staying at African Pearl was meeting Jeff, the owner. He was a lovely host and offered a wealth of information about Malindi, Kenya, and the many African countries he's traveled and worked in. During my travels, I'd met some sketchy individuals and so I was a little wary when I first met Jeff as well, but he was such a genuinely nice, friendly guy that I was won over immediately. (The receptionist was definitely less friendly, but not horrible. We preferred to talk with Jeff directly whenever we had questions, etc.)

Jeff even took us out one nite on the town to an amazing place called Roots. I'm not sure if it's still open, but ask him about it!

Overall, African Pearl was the perfect place to relax. Normally, I wouldn't bring family to the kind of backpacker/budget places I stay at by myself, but this place was different and I'd even feel comfortable bringing kids!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank shanghaiexpat2003

Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed at the African Pearl for an evening during July. Geoff was very hospitable and helpful however our welcome at reception was not so friendly and actually rather frosty, even bordering on rude.
The garden and poolside areas are all well kept but the hotel itself is rather tired and run down.
Our room was also pretty noisy, we could hear a baby crying and movement from the room above us all night long.
The room itself was average but large, had an ensuite and a big balcony.
Breakfast was also included however the layout was rather strange and the service slow plus we were confused as to what was actually included.
We found it hard to book and contact this hotel,eventually we went direct, maybe it was a sign!
Ok if you're on a budget or looking for somewhere safe to stay for a night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fremontSydney
Reviewed March 7, 2011

This hotel is a 10 minute walk from town or the beach. It has a wonderful pool and lounge area. The rooms are basic but clean, and you can't beat the price!!! 3500SH for fan rooms. 4500Sh for airconditioned rooms. There was also cottages but I don't know the price of those. I recommend the air conditioned rooms. In the morning, from 7:30 - 10:30 there is a full breakfast, as much as you like. Eggs, bacon, yogurt, juices, fruits, etc. Internet was 200Sh for unlimited use as long as you stay there. Wonderful place for the price! Use their website to e-mail for a price.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank canoe
Reviewed February 9, 2011

First I only booked one night in African Pearl, but I liked the place so much that I decided to stay for a whole 10 nights! I had an excellent time - both Jeff and Sandra were very hospitable and made me feel like in a second home. My room was the best I had in my whole Tanzania/Kenya trip: it was very spacy, the bed was big and confortable, I had air conditioning and a huge balcony just for myself - and this at an incredibly reasonable rate! The whole place is just made up very lovely: there is a huge, beautiful garden, a nice pool and creative details to everything! Thanks for the great time Jeff and Sandra!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank rebit
Reviewed January 4, 2011

This is a great Kenyan boutique-esque hotel amongst the plethora of expensive resorts in Malindi for a fraction of their cost. Jeff and Sandra, the owners, are very helpful, interesting and accommodating with years of local knowledge and hospitality behind them. It's not on the beach but makes up for it ten fold with a well designed garden and pool with lots of little added nooks and crannies if you want a bit of privacy. To be on the beach in Malindi isn't necessarily a bonus anyway. The rooms are well designed, well equipped and have everything you need for a good African holiday with an added splash of character. As with most places in the area the hotel can be prone to power cuts and water shortages but, with the right perspective, it will only add to your stay. The breakfast is plentiful and for dinner I highly recommend going to 'The Old Man and The Sea' in town.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richswill
Reviewed November 14, 2010

If you come to Malindi and want high quality without the sharp expense of the upmarket Italian hotels/lodges, make sure you book into the African Pearl. The owner Jeff is the most friendly and helpful person we've met in 3 months in Africa and his staff are lovely as well.

A few summary points to help you make up your mind:
* Ideal location - away from the centre of town and a quick, cheap tuk-tuk ride to everything you need (Ksh100 per journey = approx $1.25)
* Fantastic grounds with big, clean swimming pool (+ spring loaded diving board!), bar, lots of outdoor seating
* Clean spacious rooms with really big beds and high quality mosquito nets
* Some rooms have big balconies to help you relax
* Pricing is very reasonable - big private room with fan was Ksh3,500 (approx $42)
* If you love football you'll be in heaven - Jeff has more Premiership games than you get in the UK and they love their football (join in the betting action...)

We had the best 3 days of our trip here and Jeff and his friends made us feel very welcome - he even took us out to a local club to experience the hot, sweaty night life. We can't recommend this place enough and it's a shame we have to leave

Thanks
James & Muneeza, UK

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jamerguk
Reviewed July 6, 2010

While staying in The African Pearl we experienced amazing hospitality with the staff who really made us feel welcome and at home. assisting us with all kinds of different bookings and reservations, they really left it to us just to enjoy our time there.
The room was nice and clean, and the balcony overlooking the pool and garden area, was a great extra bonus.
We also had some nice times in the bar/resturant with a cousy and familiar atmosphere. Not to forget the great times we had at the nice and clean pool
Allthough The African Pearl is not located in down town Malindi, it is only a short Tuk Tuk drive away. But to us this only made the location better.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple