“Great food, consumed overlooking a stunning white beach”
Review of Sai Eden Roc Hotel

Sai Eden Roc Hotel
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Malindi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Great food, consumed overlooking a stunning white beach”
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Travelled ther with a group of friends in January 2011. After a night in the overrated North Coast, we went on a road trip to Malindi and ended up at Eden Roc - it was a choice we didnt regret!

The white beach was stunning and we went to ride the waves up until 7pm!....thereafter we had dinner - excellent sea food which is not entirely surprising given its location. The rooms were clean, spacious albeit a bit old. The bed was huge and there was alounge and a private balcony at the back, overlooking a natural form pool and some beautiful gardens.

There was a band in the evening, and they were kidn enough to play me a number as I slipped the ring on my girlfriend's finger and asked her, rather successfully, to marry me! :-) After our engagement, we allI ended up at one of our balconies and toasted until late before exploring the famed Malindi nightlife. Breakfast was tidy and really comprehensive and our guide still found breakfast despite oversleeping at waking up at 11am!....Check-out was smooth especially as we had paid for the dinner right after the meal while the breakfast cost was included in the room rate.

Overall, an excellent hotel, it might show signs of age her and there but the charm and personality are still intact.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Terrible, do not stay there. The staff were rude and attitudinal and could not care less, the rooms were so old and dated, expensive. The hotel was empty, needless to say we left after 1 night.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Malindi hotels

Virginia
Reviewed January 14, 2010

My husband and I took the advice of a friend and stayed at Eden Roc. We checked-in and signed a contract agreement concerning the rates and services. We pretty much wanted a Bed/Breakfast since we'd be out all day on leisure activities. We got a double room even after we'd mentioned we were married and decided to just let it pass.We were told we had to pay for breakfast for the first day and again we didn't mind at all.
The room was ok but we couldn't get the water temperatures right in the shower.It would be scalding hot water one minute then cold all over sudden.
The service was fine and the pool soo relaxing.
At one time, a guest was checking out and was upset about the charges he'd been imposed upon. We brushed it off thinking it was a random case where applicable taxes might have been high. However it also happened to us.
We told the staff on the eve of our checking-out that we wanted to check-out pretty early since we had to travel to Nairobi.Well we show up at the reception and the cashier is running late. Also they overcharged us and when we mentioned our contract, they somehow seemed to have "misplaced" copies of the agreement. The receptionist "Jackson" was also rude since he knew we were in a hurry yet kept stalling time. Later, we were told by the manager that the additional fee was due to lunch which was absurd since we hadn't had lunch there during our stay.Thank goodness we had extra funds so as to rush out feeling ripped off! Worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2009

There were almost 30 of us that were apart of a mission group that stayed at Eden Roc. The rooms were clean with small balconies that overlooked beautiful gardens. The beds had mosquito netting. We did have warm showers; some of our other group members did not have water in the mornings. Maybe it was because we were all using at the same time in the morning? Food and service was excellent; we were well cared for during our stay. The grounds themselves were very expansive with beautiful pools, large gardens, and areas that would be perfect for large parties. The walk out to the ocean is very pretty. There are guards on the premises that keep an eye out for you so I did feel safe. We had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank oetgirl
palermo, CA
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I had the most AMAZING time while in Malindi. The staff at the Eden Roc was the BEST I have ever had at any hotel/resort! Lucy was my housekeeper, and she went above & beyond while doing her daily duties. I had taken the opportunity to leave her a package of gum as a "thank you" for cleaning & getting other essentials that I had requested and she left me a message iwritten out with blades of grass & flowers! The front desk staff(sorry I don't remember their names) were so helpful with exchanging my money, explaining different culture manners, etc. The food was exceptional! A vary wide variety for any taste or diet. James, my server, was awesome! He remembered my drink choices, was very attentive, and encouraged me to try different foods by explaining what they would taste like, and what to combine with them.The pool & grounds were spotless, and the view was breathtaking. The only thing that was lacking in my opinion was the entertainment, but I think it was off-season.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank my3sonspalermo_CA
London
Reviewed February 7, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Eden Roc in January 2009 for one night as we could not stay any longer.
I had been there years ago and remember it to be one of the best hotels in the area. However, this time round, I did not experience it in the same way.
The service was great - made friends with the waiters who were very helpful.
The room we were put in had three single beds, although we had booked a double room. When we were moved next door, the room was not much better. Granted we got our double bed but the state of the room left much to be desired. I attach a picture of the shower head, which disgusted me the most. As you will see, I refused to spend another night there.
The location on the other hand is perfect, with its own private beach and three pools and additional sporting facilities. This much we enjoyed during the day. The food was lovely and we had no complaints.
I had been told that the president stays at this hotel when visiting the area and I wish we had been afforded the opportunity to stay in a lovely room but because of the rooms we were given, I have decided never to return there.
We moved to Oasis Village as most hotels were fully booked it being right after New Year; but we finally spent the rest of our stay at Coral Key Beach Resort, which was milestones better than Eden Roc.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blackredhotpepper
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed April 15, 2007

A lovely hotel with big spacious cottages, big beds......on a cliff overlooking the sea.Faithful enough to collect one from airport if requested. Service ok but very biased especially for Africans-you can be literally ignored! The evening entertainment programmes (boring at times)are conducted in both italian and english but at times italian only.Our complain went unheeded for one evening for change of language and we had to leave it.Otherwise, an above average hotel,at average prices to high prices.

Stayed October 2006