“Escape the English winter”
Review of Scorpio Villas

Scorpio Villas
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Malindi
Reviewed December 16, 2007

We have just arrived back from a week at the Scorpio Villas we found the hotel and grounds very pleasant and relaxing, with very friendly staff. Food was always good with a reasonable choice each night. Our only comment was the air conditioning in our room was not very efficient but others said theirs was fine. The drinks were fairly expensive compared to the prices outside, maybe what you have to expect in a hotel but not for the bottled water which is a necessity and was four times the price you would pay in the local shops. We would return to this hotel again the rooms were very large and the double four poster bed was very comfortable. The balcony was huge and had lovely sofas to relax on. We met some great people and everyone was very friendly.

We used Lenny & Omar (you will find them on the beach) for our two day safari to Tsavo East. This was excellent and not to be missed. We took some gifts out for a local school, pens, paper, calculators etc but the schools were closed during our week so Lenny & Omar arranged to take us to a local orphanage. This was a very humbling experience but the children enjoyed the visit, we just wish we had also taken clothes for them with us. On top of all this the weather was fantastic, great holiday !

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank Farawayshores

Reviewed December 4, 2007

Scorpio Villas are an absolute gem! I was seriously worried after reading some of the earlier negative reviews, but having spent a week there with my husband we are both confused why anyone would complain. We got a pretty good deal, and for the price it was sensational.
The staff were very friendly, and the grounds with three pools were lovely. The gardens are in a tropical style and help to separate out the different buildings and increase privacy. We had a gigantic double bed with mosquito net canopy, and our housekeeper would leave little notes to us like "Welcome" or "Safe travels" spelt out in flowers on the bed!!
The food was also really good. For dinner you are offered soup and a choice of two pasta dishes, followed by the buffet which always had a wide range of salad, fruit, meat, seafood, deserts, cheeses, veggies etc - we even had lobster one night! Even if you are a fussy eater (which I am) you'll find something you like.
I will definitely be recommending Scorpio Villas to our friends.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gemmaw25
Reviewed November 8, 2007

This was my second trip to kenya the first staying at diani beach at the Diani Sea Resort ,the second staying at Malindi at Scorpio Villas.

We booked scorpio villas last minute on icelolly website paying £455 pp for 14 nights HB Given that the dates coincided with the start of the wilderbeast migration this was a good price and was due to the date of departure being one week before the start of the schools summer break. Two years earlier we booked last minute with Kuoni Paying £550 pp for 14 nights AI staying at the end of June at diani ( this was the end of the rainy season and it did rain some times, not much of a problem generally just a short shower and it stays hot whilst its raining, there was one day of torrential rain)

Comparing the two which are both classed as 3* the accomodation at scorpio wes much nicer with carved wood furniture including the four poster bed. the grounds were smaller
than diani sea resort but well kept with lots of flowers and palm trees giving a jungle feeling, Diani sea resort is more open with lawned areas. There were also much more monkey at Diani .

At Scorpio there were three pools to chose from all with pleanty of sun loungers at Diani this was a problem as there was only one pool and a distinct lack of sun loungers and towels needed a deposit.

The beach at both hotels were similar some sea weed and flip flops were need for going in the sea because of the sea urchins. there were beach boys on the beach at both hotels and the levels of hustling much the same,

As for out side of the hotel the resorts at Diani are on a coastal strip away from the town of Diani, there were stalls set up along the road selling carvings, masks, pictures etc. and walking past them,all will try to get you to come and look, doin this is a mistake if you have no intention to buy anything , its best to decline, scorpio is actually in the town of milindi and walking along out side the hotel you will be constantly hustled from the moment you leave th hotel to the moment you get back . personally i found that a firm no thank you or ' I would like to walk on my own please worked some of the time and accepted the constant hustling as part of the experience.

the food at both hotels was much the same its a choice of beef or fish, the waiters are there to get drinks and serve things like soup and the occasional starter but generally its a buffet set up, there was a problem at scorpio that they were having local business conferences and those attending joined the tourists for dinner this resulted in a stampede for the food and if you didnt join it you didnt get much to eat. Out side the hotels Diani had much more in the way of resteraunts including the amazing Ali Barbours which is set in an open roofed cave, Malindi did not have the same choice or standard.

Malindi is a long way from Mombasa airport( over 3 hours in shuttle bus) Its a bumpy potholed road, bearable if you dont plan on much sight seeing, tedious if you have to make the journey more than twice, a problem if your going on safari, especially if you do a driving safari to Tsavo national park, you'll find you leave from Malindi but on the return you have a 6 hour journey from the park back to mombasa then the 3 hour plus journey back to Malindi. Diani is about an hour from the airport on a hotel bus but we were put in a taxi by the Rep at the airport and the journey took about 45 mins, this included the the ferry crossing at Likoni, if you are on a shuttle coach you will have to leave the coach and board the ferry as a foot passenger.

If you do plan on going on safari your best option is to go to the Masai Mara the volume of wildlife here is stagering compared to some where like Tsavo, It is more expensive but well worth it . At your hotel the rep will have a list of different safaris most will be road safaris to Tsavo staying at different grades of
accomodation, you will travel in a mini bus usually with a pop up roof, This is poor compared to the Mara where you will travel in an open sided 4x4 jeep ( you must check this though before you book as not always the case) If the Mara options look expensive a good idea is to spend an afternoon visiting the various travel agents you will find out side the hotel, only vist the ones that have a place of business dont even think about booking a safari with a beach boy or other hustler, it may turn out ok, but more than likely wont and you will lose your money. The first time I went to the Mara I stayed at Fig tree tented camp a budget option, but if funds are tight this is a great choice expect to pay about $400 -$450 (roughly £220) pp for 2 nights extra nights can be booked. Tented camps are much better than lodges you will hear all the sound of the bush, and we are not talking about a normal tent, its baisically a normal room with a shower and toilet built on a wooden platform with canvass wall and roof . As I said earlier road safaris leaving from Malindi will invariably return via Mombasa, this is also true of some air safaris, if there are not enough people booked on the flight from Malindi you will have to travel via Mombasa . This dosnt happen occasionally it happens frequently especially if you want to stay on safari longer than the usual 2 nights.

In all Scorpio Villas was the better hotel but it was a pitty about the location and vise versa for Diani sea resort, better location
(no problem with safari flights, easy striking distance of Mombasa tourist attractions and Shimba Hills reserve and a much better choice and quality of resteraunts and less hastle)

Overall if you want the cheapest hotel that is in nice grounds where you can sun bathe and dont mind longer traveling times for safaris Scorpio is the best option if not look closer to mombasa like Diani or Bamburi.
Diani Sea resort if you plan on eating out at resteraunts and spending lots of time on safari ,this said you will find Diani Sea Resort a bit of a let down if you are expecting a European standard of accomodation but there are pleanty of other hotels to choose from.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DaveP2007
Reviewed November 7, 2007

I have just got back from 1 week staying a Scorpio Villas and I must say I had fantastic time.. the people the place and massive 4 poster bed were awesome!!

the 3 pools on the complex were always kept in an immaculate condition the pool guy is friendly and does his job very well!! There are plenty of sunbeds around all the pools and they are comfy too!! fell asleep many times on them! The towels are not as bad as people have made out, they are actually very convinent as u do not need to worry about drying your towels at the end of the day!! The middle pool is where we all congregated in the 'smokers corner' had a good old laugh!!

The rooms themselves were everything you need they all have a unique touch to them with the hand painted safari scenes on the wall!! we had elephants (rm 14) the bed was massive and when your hot at night, and your partner is fidgeting, you arent even aware!! The friendly cleaner, Joyce layed flowers on our bed on arrival and departure and un packed our cases for us!! we didnt even ask!!! all rooms are sprayed regularly to stop mosquitos!

The resturant was in a beautiful setting under a magnificent thatched roof and the food i found to be quite repetetive but okay!! enjoyed the seafood though..absolutly beautiful!!! the mango bar is set right next to the 1st pool, and the drinks were fairly priced, i recommend the 950ksh white wine (not sure of the name) it is lovely!! my favorite were the desserts at dinner, yummy!

Safari was breath taking, Wanbua, our game driver is fantastic, i wanted to bring him home with me, he was so funny and now loves Lollies.. he was so knowledged on all animals and taught us alot!! he even rang Elvis our cosmos rep to say Goodye to me on my last day!! can't wait to go back and go on safari with him again! Tsavo east and west game park is amazing, saw so many diffrent animals, THE BIG 5!!
got some great snaps and soveniers!!
My favorites were the lions! awesome!!

the people we met were fantastic and we were so lucky to have such a range of diffrent people who all got on, we all had a night out and managed to get 16 people in an 8 seater van, with much squashing and giggling!! Frementoes is rather expensive and the payment method is very strange but a faboulous money making tactic on their part..
stardust is a MUST... the club is air conditioned, you cant drink on the dancefloor, so there is no broken glass around as u dance, the dj is brillant and the people are friendly! when you pay for drinks dont panic, the bar man will be back with your money but they do not keep money behind the bar!! so when you pay you think he has wondered off with your money but he hasnt!! he will be bk in a minute!!! I advise a Tuk Tuk into the town as its much cheaper and a good giggle!! dont ask me how some of our group managed 6 on 1 tuk tuk... try it.. and see if u beat the record!! Be warned though, the only downside to the clubs are the prostitutes, they are not as u imagine, but to any men be warned they will try it on!! But say No and they will leave u alone!

Kenya is a definete must,... and i highly recommend Scorpio Villa's,

Thanks to Justin & Donald, Elvis, and HAM!! MISS YA

Thanks 2 Mandy & Charlotte, Dave & Michelle, Darryl & Debbie, Michelle & Neill, Dawn & James, Bonnie,Reuben & Joseph, Julia & Jenny, Jackie & Nigel, Alex & Mike & The Swedish for some fab memories!!!

Claire x

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2007

I only returned from Scorpio Villas last night and thought I would give my review while still fresh in my mind. The hotel itself was immacutely clean and the cleaners always had a smile on their face and a cheery 'jambo'. The pool attendant, gardeners, waiters and barstaff were all fantastic characters and nothing was too much trouble for them.
The rooms were spacious and ,as I said, immaculate and staff came round every night to spray the room with mosquito repellant.
The three swimming pools were large and there was never a problem finding sunbeds. They were, however luke warm most of the time, however, therefore not very refreshing.
The food was pleniful, if a little bland and it was a real treat to have breakfast on our patio without getting dressed to go to the resteraunt.
Despite the positive things about Scorpio Villas I have two complaints about the hotel which spoilt the holiday for me. One was the extortionate prices of the drinks. You are unable to brink drinks in from outside the hotel,( the security guards often check bags you are taking into the complex) and one elderly couple even had two cartons of juice confiscated. Because of this you are forced to pay the hotel prices. a bottle of water outside the hotel costs aprox 30 shillings but in the hotel they charge 150 shillings! A small diet coke outside costs 30 shillings and inside 170 shillings, the price of a small vodka and orange was nearly five pounds.
My biggest complaint by far, however, was the way prostitutes are allowed onto the complex with Guests and allowed to wander around the hotel, use the pool and eat amongst us in the restaraunt. The german man in the bungalow ajacent to ours had two in his bungalow one evening and moved from inside the bungalow to outside on our shared patio. They proceeded to play loud music and drink for a few hours, confining us to our room untill they went back in to continue partying(!) and we could escape.
As I was on holiday with my young daughter I complained but was told that as long as the guest paid 3000 shillings to bring the girls into the hotel, it was acceptable. When more prostitutes appeared at the resteraunt one night I wrote a letter of complaint to the hotel manager and said that I wanted to discuss this with him but despite being reassured that he had received the letter, he made no attempt to contact me, which left little doubt in my mind that he cared little about the happiness or security of his guests. (I was not the only guest to complain about the prostitutes)
Finally, one last thing. be aware that when booking trips (safaris etc) the Cosmos Rep charges three times the amount that the Malindi travel companies do.

I end my review by saying that go to Scorpio Villas by all means, but go with an open mind (and a fat wallet) and be prepared to share your holiday with prostitutes.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank amanda50
Reviewed November 3, 2007

What can I say?? We were actually hoping to go to Egypt but couldn't get deal we wanted so we settled on Kenya!! That certainly was fate!!!
We booked it last minute through Teletext and got a fab deal to a fab hotel. Scorpio Villas, it's like a jungle paradise. I've read reviews on here that the rooms smelt damp... for your information that smell is the mosquito spray that the staff use to stop you getting ravished by the little blighters! Only had a couple of bites all holiday.

I have to write about the staff, they are what made the holiday so special. Hamis, Andy, David, Emmanual, Johnson, Justin and Donald to name a few!! They get paid so little but do so much for you!! I have even received a letter from one of them just this week!!

Rooms gorgeous, 4poster beds lush! Beach beautiful and you don't get as much hassle there as some make out. In fact they are very interesting people there and appreciate your time spent talking to them!!

We did the Tsavo East & West safari!! Fantastic!! We will try Masai Mara next time!!!

We have only one complaint.... we wish we had gone for 3 weeks and not 2!!

We are booking again for March and can't wait to go back!! Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shelzby69
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Scorpio Villas Hotel was wonderful!

The room! spacious, huge four poster bed with mosquito net, fresh flowers and towels every day! and sheets changed twice a week! ensuite, constant hot water! Huge Wardrobe too!!

The pools! There are 3! the middle one was our favorite, and the top one gets the last of the sun!

The bar! try the Ciparinha cocktail, bliss! Andy the barman is very helpful!

The food! Breakfast excellent, Afternoon tea wonderful, lovely cakes and biscuits! Dinner was lovely, Starter, Soup, Pasta, Salad bar and sweet bar all lovely, The main Courses were abit boring & similar but often there wasn't room anyway!

The beach! Wonderful, long, white sand, if you stay by the hotel you can use their sunbeds and the security guard will protect you from the constant attention of the beach boys.

Outside the beach entrance to Scorpio Villas you can find Lenny and Omar. They can organise anything for you, cheaper than the hotel too! We organised a 3 day safari with them, which was a trip of a life time! which we wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. Also they booked us flights to Lamu, acted as a taxi to and from Malindi Airport , and helped us change money in town.

The town is lovely, an experience, easy to walk too, but use a tuk tuk in the evening. Stardust is a good club, very good DJ, air conditioned too, costs 1000 shilling to get in though.

Karen Blixen's is great for coffee, even a Frappachino!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family