“It was amazing!!”

Ocean Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Malindi
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The food was really good, and well made. Very polite and kind people, nice atmosphere and the scenery was gorgoues! The beach was nice, the pool was also good. The spa very classy and well organized. Everything in the rooms were very classy and neat, very beautiful! I reccomend for everyone to visit this resort!

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I came to know about Ocean Beach Resort & Spa, Malindi about a year ago, and I had been wanting to go there ever since! I thankfully got the chance in July this year – which was perfectly timely, as I was in dire need of some sunshine after getting bogged down in the ‘frosty’ temperatures that had been plaguing Nairobi. It was even more wonderful to discover that there was a brilliant low season offer to pay for 2 nights, and stay a 3rd night for free in a superior room on a bed & breakfast basis. (Generally, I prefer to travel during the relevant low season).

I emailed the hotel to find out about the cost and availability. The General Manager – Harvey Ndege, dealt with my reservation and many questions superbly (the Reservations Manager, Rita Kariuki was on leave at the time). I booked & paid as per the offer to stay for 3 nights with one of my girlfriends.

Upon arrival at Ocean Beach Resort & Spa Malindi, we were warmly met & greeted by Harvey and Ledjah – the Front Office Manager. The reception area & the views beyond are stunning!! After being given a refreshingly cool hand towel, we were served a delicious glass of fresh juice. As we got down to the nitty gritties of filling out the check-in paperwork, Harvey says to us “we’re sorry we were not able to organise a twin room for you as you had requested, so we are giving each of you a room! Is that OK?” Silly silly me, was already busy saying to Harvey, “that’s OK, we’ll be fine sharing the king size bed”….when my clearly slow brain finally registered what Harvey had just said!!! LOL! I quickly recanted, and said “YES YES YES, separate rooms will be PERFECTLY OK with us at no extra charge!” In all my years of gallivanting, this was the FIRST time I had ever received such a beautiful, generous & unexpected ‘upgrade’! Awesome!!! It was crystal clear that we were going to have a SUPERBLY EXCELLENT 3 days!!

Rooms:
Post check-in, off we went in a golf cart to our rooms – which were next to each other (18 & 19). En route to our rooms, I was so excited by the fact that all the rooms are wonderfully spread out across the beautiful grounds of the property…so you have a real sense of tranquillity & privacy. The superior rooms are truly lovely…elegant, exceptionally spacious & tastefully furnished!!! In my view, because of the view from the patios, 18 & 19 are excellently positioned. The beds & beddings are BLISSFUL!!! The bathroom is large & well appointed with double sinks, a good shower, toilet & a bidet!! The bath & beauty products that are provided are excellent, as are the towels! You find a delicious generous fruit platter upon arrival. It’s wonderful to have in-room tea & coffee making facilities, as well as a mini bar with fridge. There is air conditioning & a ceiling fan above the bed. Ample wardrobe space & hangers. Luxurious bath robes (2 sizes), and the most comfortable bedroom slippers I’ve come across. There is ample lighting & sockets. There is cable TV, and a DVD player! There is a small safe (not large enough for a 'regular size' laptop). The patio is a WONDERFUL place to while away time. At night, once the room has been turned down for the night, it looks sooooo romantic!! Just for that, my friend & I will be sure to go back with ‘a significant other’!!!

Our room steward George & his colleagues took excellent care of our rooms. Just before check-out, I asked Rita (who was then back from leave), to show me some of the other room categories – suites etc. The various suites are certainly lovely – but, in essence they are basically the same as the Superior Rooms – only that they are larger, and the bathrooms additionally have a Jacuzzi. Personally, I would happily stay in a Superior Room again - & spend the extra money that it would cost to stay in a suite enjoying the spa!!

Food:
The breakfast is a wonderful spread!! Part-buffet & part a la carte. On one of our mornings, my friend said that the “poached eggs were the best she’d ever had”. It’s fantastic that breakfast is served until 11am! A lovely way to start a Malindi day indulging in a loooong leisurely, beautifully satisfying breakfast on the terrace. When it’s windy, you will definitely see/feel the beach sand – while on the restaurant terrace – which is a good distance away from the beach! Other than breakfast, we only ate one other meal at Ocean Beach Resort & Spa, Malindi. It was good – but not exceptional. Portion size was on the smaller side. We felt that the drinks were rather overly pricey!

WIFI is available (though, surprisingly, I ended up barely using it!) There are 3 lovely swimming pools. At the time, the one closest to the beach was closed for maintenance. We absolutely loved the one next to the apartments….and basically had it all to ourselves during our stay. The hotel does not actually offer beach activities & water sports (as indicated/implied on the hotel website). They can organise such things for their guests through external service providers. So, if you are keen on this, make sure that you get the relevant information & bookings BEFORE your arrival – to avoid disappointment.

The Beach:
The beach is interestingly spectacular! As you walk onto the beach from the hotel, you are surrounded by some gorgeous sand dunes. Once you get passed the dunes, there is a wide strip of sand which – unfortunately shows the painful effects of humanity’s pollution…everyday, bits & pieces of plastic etc are washed up on this part. The hotel does its best to keep it clean. After the ‘polluted strip’, you get onto an AMAZING super-wide un-populated beach. Blissfully pleasing to the eyes – especially to the left of the hotel. Wonderful wonderful beach to walk along & play on. The ocean – unfortunately at the time, again courtesy of humanity’s devastation on this planet – there was OIL in the water… it was soooooo painfully heart-breaking to see! People didn’t seem to know where the ‘oil-spill’ had happened, or when…

The Morjana Spa:
We thoroughly enjoyed the BLISSFUL spa treatments that we had. Having a treatment in the “Thalatepee Suite” is a DEFNITE must-try experience!! That is what makes the Morjana Spa particularly unique. Sarah did my treatment – a wonderful aromatic mud wrap in the “Thalatepee Suite”. It was AWESOME!!! Sarah is EXCELLENT, skilful & knowledgeable – & she has clear passion & love for what she does. I HIGHLY recommend her! A special thanks too to Helen for giving us the tour of the spa on the day of our arrival, & for being a graciously pleasant ‘spa-host’.

Customer Service:
ABSOLUTE ALL ROUND EXCELLENCE!!!!!! I cannot emphasise this point enough! ALL the staff that we interacted with gave us EXCELLENT customer service!! This – for me – puts Ocean Beach Resort & Spa, Malindi well ahead of the curve within the hospitality sector in Kenya. THUMBS UP TEAM Ocean Beach – including the owners!!!!

Overall Experience:
We spent 3 awesomely blissful days at Ocean Beach Hotel & Spa in Malindi. I highly, highly recommend it!!! It is perfectly suitable for families with children, couples, groups of friends, solo travellers….as well as infirm, elderly and disabled people – special care has been taken in all the common areas and within rooms to provide assistive measures like ramps & hand rails. The golf carts comfortably take you where you need to go within the hotel if you don’t want to or are unable to walk.

Room Tip: Superior Room 19 has excellent views from the patio. Superior rooms offer the best value-for-money.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is the place to cool off and relax from work,family,financial pressure and stress.
If your also looking for class and good hospitality then this is the place for you.I loved the rooms,they were always maintained and cleaned regularly.you can view the ocean from the hotel since you have direct access to it.
Although we didn't get a chance to try the spa,the next time will be there will definitely make an effort.
This is a resort that meets your expectations and makes you want to spend there everytime you're in Malindi

Room Tip: Superior rooms are good for a couple,not too big and too small.Just the ideal size
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wairimu O
Reviewed July 27, 2012

For a thorough, detailed review of my stay, please go to: http://severewanderlust.com/2012/07/ocean-beach-resort-and-spa/

This is one of the most amazing resorts I have ever seen. This place deserves 5 stars all across the board. If I was to be in this area again, I will no doubt stay here. I may even make a special trip to come back, just so I can stay here again. This place is luxurious beyond description. The grounds, the rooms, the food, and the staff were all amazing. If there is such thing as perfection, this place comes pretty close! I would recommend any of my friends and colleagues to stay at the Ocean Beach Resort & Spa. If I ever have to organize a conference, you better believe I’ll try my best to make it happen here!

Room Tip: For your honeymoon or special occasion, splurge on the Imperial Suite!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CaitlinK
Roberto M, Owner at Ocean Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Hello from Malindi,
Thank you very much for your beautiful review, it was a pleasure to have you here in Malindi with us and all my staff and I are willing to see you here soon.
Robbie Marini

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel is a little off the main road but has lovely ocean views and direct access to the beach.
There was nothing I could fault the rooms were lovely and cleaned daily,tea and coffee replenised willingly.The pools were kept clean and the attendant was always there to help wilth towels etc.
The was good with pleasant service from all and the bar room had very interesting pictures of
old times with the staff very knowledgeable.I stayed 8 nights.

Room Tip: all rooms had good views of either the garden or ocean
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PerthJill
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We only spent one night here by chance following fly 540 kindly cancelling our flight to Lamu. We arrived hot, tired and angry having spent over 6 hours in the airport waiting for our flight, which was eventually cancelled. The staff were welcoming and helpful from the moment we arrived. The accommodation was spacious & well designed, laundry service was excellent. Robbie was a great host, making sure all of his guests were happy and properly cared for. All in all a lovely, stress free place to stay

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We are a couple that are half way through a 7 country African safari in our own vehicle! We decided to take a two week break here in Malindi and because of the excellent online reviews we chose Ocean Beach Resort! There is no exaggeration in any of these reviews, on arrival when learning of the 12'000 kms we had done we were upgraded to a suite by the very hands on Italian owner architect Robbie Marini! The situation almost directly on the beach is one of the best spots in Malindi but if the ocean isnt to your taste there is a choice of 3 swimming pools.
We have enjoyed very special treatment by the staff who are expertly trained and always greet you with big smiles and 5 star service! Thank you for spoiling us Brandon, Frank, Michael, Ledger, Rita and the rest of the team
The quality of the rooms is equal to those in some of the best International hotels with beautiful furnishings and bed linens! The restaurant serves outstanding cuisine with an Italian flair! We were shown around the kitchen and were very impressed by the shining, spotless prep areas and equipment!
Thank you for providing us with a temporary home way from home, we have basked in the luxury!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple