Porini Amboseli Camp
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sentrim Amboseli(Amboseli Eco-system)
View Hotel
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmaasai villagenational parkjulie roggowbucket showeramboseli campsafari showergame drivesconservancy conceptnight gamesafari experiencehour driveguide wilsonmasai guideslocal villagejake grieves cookdining tentflush toilets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 8, 2010

March 2009 saw my husband and me returning to Kenya for the 4th time but in fact it was out 10th safari. I had always said that there was so much of the world to see that I really did not wish to return to places that we had stayed in previously. That was until we discovered Porini Camps and especially Selenkay!!
We have just returned home 5 days ago from Kenya having had yet another wonderful safari in 3 Porini camps and this time our daughters came with us, Selankay was our first camp and returning there was like coming home. We had the most wonderful welcome and it was especially heartwarming to see old friends from last year and to be welcomed back with such genuine pleasure.
Words cannot do justice to the wonderful team there, everyone was so very helpful and willing to make our stay as wonderful as possible,THANK YOU EVERYONE Be warned, we will be back!!
After last years terrible draught it was so good to see water levels have risen in the swamps in Amboseli and to be able to reassure ourselves that nature can recover but it is also important that wildlife lovers continue to support eco camps like Porini and not upset the natural balance of nature. It was wonderful to be able to sit and watch animals in the conservancy and not have another vehicle there.
It is hard to imagine anything nearer to heaven on earth than sitting looking at Kilimanjaro with a sundowner in your hand as the sun sets and you are surrounded by the sounds of nature. Selenkay and all its wonderful staff help to make that possible.
Asante sana Harry, Wilson and everyone in Selenkay, Tom and Anna

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2010

The porini camp in Amboselli is a brilliant example of how you can have a once in a lifetime experience without damaging the environment. The staff were attentive and ensured we were well looked after. Our excursuions wre arranged eficiently , he food was excellent and the accomodation extremely comfortable. It was a four star hotel in touch with life in the African countryside. We will recommned it to all our friends. Olga Johnson from Kent

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We went to Porini as part of our honeymoon - we are both experienced travelers who do not get too worried over lush accomodations. While Amboseli is gorgeous, this is not the best place to stay. The staff seemed to vaguely resent their jobs and the owner was kind of creepy. One got the impression that he was overstating the case much of the time - i.e. raving about the fact that a rhino was outside his door the evening before.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
TunduziNyama, Owner at Porini Amboseli Camp, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2010

We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our camp and that you felt the staff did not seem to enjoy their work.

I note that you stayed nearly 3 years ago in July 2007 ago and judging from all the other comments and reviews we have had over the last couple of years we generally find that guests are delighted with the welcome and attention from our Maasai staff. The local community leaders assure me that they greatly value the opportunity that the camp and conservancy provide for the local people to earn livelihoods in a drought-prone area where there is no other source of income apart from raising livestock. So I believe your negative impression of the staff was definitely very unusual.

I also note that you describe the owner as “rather creepy” and that he was making a big deal about having seen a rhino in front of his tent. Well, I am the owner and having checked my diary I did not visit the camp on any date in July 2007 so I do not think that we met! And none of us would boast of having seen a rhino in the camp as they have been extinct in the Amboseli area for over twenty years! Although there are no rhino, we do of course have a fantastic range of wildlife species in the area and I am glad that you thought Amboseli was “gorgeous”.

I do regret that the camp did not come up to expectation for you but I feel that your poor impression of the staff was certainly not the norm and we do encourage them to welcome and appreciate our guests. The feedback that we continue to receive from our guests does indicate that on the whole they are very happy with the service from the staff so we are sorry that you did not have the same experience when you visited in 2007.

Jake Grieves-Cook
Managing Director
Porini Safari Camps

Reviewed March 11, 2010

My wife and I are just home from a great week in Kenya. I chose Gamewatchers Safaris (www.porini.com) as the company to deliver what I wanted. Booking "blind" via internet requires placing trust in a group of complete strangers and for a thoroughly control-conscious person like me that is difficult, especially when going to a new place such as East Africa for the first time.
I am extremely pleased I chose them. Complete reliability, professionalism and customer service. We are 100% satisfied. Their team often surpassed my expectations and that is a commendable achievement.
Their own Porini Amboseli Camp together with their partners the local Masai provided a great two night stay. Then on with our Gamewatchers private vehicle and driver/guide to the magical Galdessa Camp in Tsavo; then two nights at the superb Diani Reef Resort and Spa, followed by a great SafariLink flight from Ukunda Airstrip (10 minutes from the hotel) back to Nairobi. A final night at the Holiday Inn then early airport transfer for the flight home.
The trip was expensive but we got what we paid for. I wanted safari in open vehicles - not the typical crowded minibus so prevalent in Kenya. I wanted the opportunity for bush walks as well as game drives. On safari I wanted to stay in special places: such as Porini Camp and Galdessa Camp. I had done thorough planning and wanted to enjoy the holiday free of concerns about arrangements. So most of all I wanted reliability and with the Gamewatchers team we got that and were able to sit back and enjoy Africa which was an amazing experience.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Just back from our 7-day safari starting at the Amboseli Porini Camp, we would like to thank everybody there, Tony and his staff, for their warm welcome, George for his incredible cooking, and of course our wonderful guides who know just everything about all the animals we saw, we learnt a lot thanks to them and they also allowed us to share a wonderful human experience. Can't wait for our next trip ! (Although we'll HAVE to wait for Francis to pass his exams because he promised to be our next guide !). Asante sana and congratulations to all, best wishes, Thierry and isabelle from Paris.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple