“We love Amboseli Porini Camp” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Porini Amboseli Camp

Porini Amboseli Camp
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“We love Amboseli Porini Camp”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had an EXCELLENT time in Amboseli. It was our second time to the camp, and my parents' first safari ever, and everything exceeded our expectations. We felt special because Tony remembered us, as did our guide Daniel. We appreciate that the staff at Porini go the extra mile to make sure your stay is enjoyable - for example, Daniel and Andrew met us on the main highway to guide us to the camp, Tony provided a warm and relaxing welcome, and the staff immediately served a tasty lunch. My grandmother, who is 84, felt like she was in the lap of luxury the entire time! The weather was great, my family loved seeing all the animals (including lions mating!), visiting the Maasai village, and we appreciated Tony's special treatment. The rest of the staff were also amazing, including our driver Andrew and our server John. Everyone had a wonderful sense of humor, and kept us laughing. We had a great time getting to know the staff and spending time our second day as the only people at camp. We recommend Porini camps to everyone, having stayed in Amboseli, the Mara, and Ol Pejeta with Porini. We will definitely be coming back soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cassandra A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
kuala lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

our first trip to africa--what an amazing experience right from the time we touched down at nairobi,we spent a total of 6 days in 3 different camps and amboselli was our first camp.

excellant process right from arranging our trip with advice and tips for the trip with what to carry,clothes to wear to info on masai culture.
thank you game watchers. you deserve all the awards you get!!!

every little detail was taken care off and julie our travel advisor even organised a day trip for us during the extra day in nairobi.
as we were 2 women travelling the first time to africa we felt so safe that minute details were looked into for us.

even though a flight was offered from nairobi to amboselli , we opted to take the drive--good choice even though it took us 3-4 hours as we saw the rural part of kenya when we drove out of nairobi.
the roads were not that bad and we enjoyed it with another family who joined us in the van-good fun.

though we were so prepared with what to expect after reading everything on trip advisor, nothing prepared us for the stunning views of the giraffes,gazelles and zebras on entering the amboselli park.

so wonderful to see these animals live in their natural habitat .nothing can prepare you for this first sight.
amazing amazing.herds of elephants,hippos and a huge variety of birds if you love birds.

a bit of a shock initialy when you enter the camp and see the tents for the first time .they look so basic from the outside.
you wonder what holiday you are getting into if you are a city person! i must say i was amazed at the interior--there a so so good inside

the tents are literaly flat on the ground with a canvas like flooring.
they look bare from the outside but are tastefully furninshed inside with beautiful rugs.--looks like any hotel room .
the walls are a netting around the front/sides.this way you have a beautiful view of the outside. its like being outdoors but you are protected by this net sceen!!at night the staff roll down the canvas so that there is the privacy plus the animals dont get to see you!!
the first night is usualy terrifying hearing the animals so close to you in the pitch dark tent.we are given a whistle to blow incase of an emergency! as we are striclty not allowed to leave our tents alone at night!!!there is a sense of comfort that the guards are patrolling out all night.

it gives the right balance --a mix of outdoor living and a proper hotel setup.a definite must try for anyone doing a safari.

we become so aware in usage of electricity and water--everything is solar and baths are limited to 1-2 buckets of water where a staff member will raise up the buckets so that it flows down as a shower. so much of effort from the ever willing staff that you are forced to think twice when you use water,

infact on our of our game drive pit/toilet stops--we stopped over at a hotel smack right inside the park (complete with a swimming pool and fancy hotel facilities )and i thanked my lucky stars that i had chosen to stay in the conservancy!
why would anyone want to do a safari without experiencing the authentic stuff!!!

food was excellant .served in a dining area and a good opportunity to meet other guests and listen to their experiences during the meal. we had no problem being vegetarian,picnic lunches and sundowners were fantastic,

the staff,drivers,guides are excellent and a tribute to gamewatchers!
game watchers!! your staff are your strongest points!! look after them !!!

they are so polite,ever so willing,soft spoken and their knowledge outstanding.i am humbled by the depth of their knowlegde and their willingness to share it with us.

wonderful masai community and their connection to nature,i am so happy that our holiday with game wathchers contributes to something in their lives

every bit was cleaned up after the picnic lunches and never in our 6 days in all 3 camps did we see as much as a scrap of paper on the ground!
i must say that after my trip i have become more aware of the environment.

game drives were good.
the elephant crossing was the hightlight.--100's of them just crossing right in front of us!!!!

on one of our trips back to the camp we saw a ranger whose job was to track down and monitor the lions using a tracking device
i cant get over how these masai warriors are so comfortable walking alone in the midst of nowhere all by themselves.anyway we gave him a lift and wow!what an experience going dep deep into the conservancy tracking the signals and finally seeing a famliy of lions resting under a tree!!!!
a real eye opener tearing into the bush and ramming into 6 feet high bushes tracking lions--especialy if this is your first drive in a 4 wheel drive!!!!!

our adrenaline rush came on our last day when we rushing to the airsrtip to catch our flight to the rhino camp when a huge cape bull blocked our vehicle in the narrow ditch that seperates the conservancy and the park!! that was a heart stopper!!!thankfully after a few minutes of staring each other in the eye he just moved away!!! this was followed by a chase from a single male elephant.
it was a dramatic drive to the airstrip where a impatient pilot and a plane load of passengers were waiting for us as we were late!!!!

the vehicles were good and i could see the difference between our 4 wheel drive vehicle/ authentic masai driver/spotter and the other tour groups who were in vans with the pop up top driven by the typicaly dressed drivers!! .
the 2 of us had a 4 wheel drive just for ourselves.

very often we had other tourists staring at our masai guide and spotter who were dressed in their tradional masai clothes.
thanks to melta with his long ears and earrings and wilson!!!their knowledge is simply mind blowing.

every game drive ended with harry the camp manager personally coming out to greet us to enquire on the days events. it was so personalised.
i found the standards in all 3 camps the same with the same format.kudos to game watchers for maintaining the standards.

i cant stop thinking of our trip to the 3 camps and what an introduction to africa!!!!!
thank you porini camps,game watchers and to all the staff working in all the 3 camps.
a definite second trip in the years to come and i strongly recommend porini camps to anyone thinking of doing a safari. !!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank aravind603
Retford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We all go on safari to see the wildlife, but places like the Porini camps make us also want to go for the camps. Right from the warm welcome from camp leader Ben and the team (cooled eucalyptus soaked towels to help us cool down after the drive) to the fantastically informed driving and walking guides the whole thing was just perfect. It's a bit of a drive to the main Amboseli reserve but you see loads on the way and my wife will never forget waking up to the noises of elephants and lions near to the camp at night. A truly once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

This was our first safari and, wow, what an introduction. This was our first camp, staying 3 nights here, then on to Porini Lion Camp for 3 nights and then to the beach at Msambweni for a week. From the moment we arrived, on a Yellow Wings Cessna 182, the guides were amazing. Fresh tea or coffee at the end of the airstrip following our flight from Wilson Airport. This flight into Selenkay is a recent addition and offers an alternative to the long drive from Nairobi.  We then had a short game drive on the way to the camp where we were warmly welcomed by Tony. From the moment we arrived the staff at the camp did everything to make our stay memorable. The camp itself is a wonderful place to stay, the tents are perfect, providing a very comfortable and private escape when you need it. There was a welcoming campfire every night, a great place to sit and exchange the days stories with the other guests. Tony and his team really made us feel as though we were amongst friends.

I am sure the guides are all of a very high standard but I think that Andrew and Johna deserve a special mention. They guided us during our time at Porini Amboseli and worked incredibly hard to find the animals and, more importantly, gave good information about all the animals that we saw. We were very lucky to see a leopard very close to camp, we were returning from a night drive and were just about to enter camp and there was the leopard at the side of the road. The guides managed to keep it in view for several minutes and we were able to take several photographs, an absolute treat and completely unexpected.

We had a day in Amboseli National Park including a wonderful lunch at Observation Hill. This is a great spot for a relaxed lunch and a perfect vantage point to get some stunning pictures of the scenery, well worth the drive from camp.

On our last night, after sundowners, we were returning to camp, although I did not recognise the route we were taking. Imagine our surprise when, after driving through dense bush, there was a camp fire and tables set. The camp had organised dinner "in the middle of nowhere". The food was outstanding, as was the company. In fact we were only a short distance outside of the camp but it felt as though we were out in the wilds of Africa. Just another example of the hard work put in by everyone at this camp to make the stay that much more memorable.

What they achieve here is incredible.

I thought this would be a once in a lifetime experience but now I have the bug. It will not be our last safari.

A special thank you should go to Hans at To Escape To. He organised the whole trip for us. He understood the brief perfectly and delivered a fantastic experience.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave B
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have been meaning to write this review for some time. In August, I took
an eight night safari with Gamewatchers at three Porini Camps, Amboselli, Lion and Rhino Camps. I will review the others in additional reviews.

I am a single woman who traveled solo. From the beginning, the experience with Porini was professional, easy and completely comfortable. I booked with Julie at Gamewatchers nearly year in advance. She was amazing!

I landed in Nairobi and was met by the Gamewatchers staff. I transferred to a hotel for the night and was picked up and flew to Amboselli by Safari Air. You can drive but I would suggest flying to save the time.

I was met at the airstrip by the guides who where both Masai. The way the Porini camps work is that they pair you up with a driver and spotter who you are with the entire trip. The open air jeeps seat 6 so you have up to 6 people on game drives with you. The jeeps are really nice and two steps up from the other ones you see. I loved my guides the entire trip. I enjoyed talking to them and learning about their culture. They are so good a spotting animals since they grew up doing it!

We game drived for the day after the pick up. The camp itself is on a conservancy which means that it is land owned by the Masai. The park boarders the conservancy. The benefit of staying on the conservancy is that there are not rules. You can drive anywhere at anytime, even at night. I would say it takes 30- 45 min from the park boarder to get to the camp.

Amboselli is known for its elephants. There are sooo many of them. They are supposed to be friendly. They definitely seemed less phased by people then in other parks. The highlight of my game drives was seeing the "elephant crossing" where 100+ elephants walk from the forest to the swamp and cross the road right in front of you! Make sure that you leave early enough on your game drives to see this.

The camp itself is really nice. The "tents" are about 200 square feet with full beds and flushing toilets. You can have warm showers via the bucket shower - The camp staff pours a bucket of water in a contraption outside your tent and you take a shower normally via the plumbing. You only have a bucket so you need turn the showers off when you are soaping up and back on when you are rinsing.

You eat in a community dining area. When I was there, there was a total of 6 of us there. It was fun to sit together and talk to people who love animals and are from all over the world. Food is good. I am a vegetarian and not once did I have a problem having something to eat. They were so accommodating. When I was there, the BBC was staying at our camp filming for an upcoming series called Africa. One night we sat around the fire talking to the entire crew.

One other good thing about Amboselli is that you have the opportunity to visit a real Masai village with someone who lives there (that also works) at the camp. Dont miss this! This will be a bit out of your comfort zone and I am sure most people have never seen anything like it.

We game drived every day and took several night drives which you should not miss. One thing I will say is do NOT miss a game drive. Someone told me this and the one I missed in 8 days ended up being amazing.

What I can say about Porini is they are awesome. They are accommodating, knowledgeable and first class. What I do need to say about my Porini experience is, these camps are for people that love animals and really want an experience. They are nice, not luxerious. There isn't internet or washing facilities. There is weirdly enough cell coverage in the parks and you can wash your clothes in the sink. You hear noises at night (animals). It is very safe but its still Africa in the middle of the bush. Game drives are long compared to other camps which is good since that is why we are there. You are up early everyday since this is the best time to see the animals.

Here are some tips about my trip/stay:

* take planes between camps this saves time
* bring glasses since it is really dusty and you will not want to wear contacts
* If you go during the "winter" USA summer, it is COLD. I had a scarf, gloves and hat and I wore them. It is 40 degrees in the morning and colder as you are in an open air jeep
* Bring deet bug lotion and aways where it
* Dress in layers
* Buy a rolling duffle - the weight limit for the safari planes is 33 lbs total!! This means your carry on too. My duffle wasn't rolling and I regretted it
* Bring a flashlight/headlamp
* Do not bring anything you care about besides a camera - it is so dusty and dirty you will want to get rid of all your clothes at the end of your trip (give to the locals)
* Bring small bills for tipping
* You do not need a lot of clothes - buy the kind you can wash out and they dry fast.
* Wear hiking shoes vs flip flops ( you can step on things or get bitten)
* Bring dramamine if you get motion sickness since the game drives are bumpy
* Ladies - only wear sports bras on the game drives. It is harder on your body then running * Although you will be tired, do not miss a game drive
* Bring disinfectant wipes and wipes for your camera. Yes you go to the bathroom behind a tree a lot
* Bring TP with you on the game drives plus a zip lock bag
* If you can, stop on your way to africa to get acclimated to the time change. So if your plane stops in Istanbul, take a day or two there to get used to the time change
* I took Turkish Air along with many people we met, it was amazing
* I am so passionate about this trip, please email me at vickymann2000@yahoo.com with any questions!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank dogluverSanDiego
Camarillo, California (Near Los Angeles)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Amboseli Porini Camp was one of the most magical parts of my entire African holiday. Ordinarily, my idea of camping is a Hyatt. But camping at Porini Camp was a bit like staying in a Hyatt with a tent around it. The attention I received from the people who worked there was very loving and they put a lot of effort into ensuring that I was happy. For example, they have a gourmet chef. Great for most people but I'm a fussy vegetarian. So they made a special pasta with sauce just for me. The team work between the guides and the camp staff was exceptional. I would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ajuliagulia
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We took our 8 year old daughter, and her 80 year old grandfather on this safari for two nights. It was an ideal family trip made all the better by the fantastic team at Amboseli Porini.

The service was faultless, the staff were incredibly knowledgeable, and the facilities excellent.

Its important to stress that if you want the "spa" safari, this is not it. This is safari as it should be - low key, low impact and in tune with the environment.

We had plenty of time to share experiences, learn about animals and about the Maasai culture. It was an eye opener for our 8 year old.

We were also very fortunate to have a chance to walk in the conservancy, learn about some of the smaller animals and insects, and begin to appreciate the ecosystem.

This was the first time I had been back to Amboseli after some time. And I would definitely go back again to this same camp.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family