“Not a bad option”

Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Almaty
Sandy, Utah
“Not a bad option”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Have stayed here twice and at the Hotel Kazakhstan twice. Service is probably slightly better at the Tien-Shan, with more spacious rooms. Restaurant looks elegant but the breakfast buffet is average (and changes little day-to-day). Lunch and dinner menu have many choices. Only one beer on tap. Bathroom shower is by wand and the water smells a bit. Certainly quieter than having the Guns and Roses at the Hotel Kazakhstan. Expensive, but a safe bet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Otto K
Alima B, Sales Manager at Grand Hotel Tien-Shan, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Otto K.,

Thank you for staying at Grand Hotel Tien-Shan.

We are pleased to read that you had a good experience with us and mentioned elegant style of the Restaurant, spacious rooms and variety of food for lunch and dinner.

We greatly appreciate your kind words regarding safety in our Hotel, this is what we believe is one of the most important things for a traveler.

Nevertheless, it is unfortunate to read that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. Your experience has been communicated to our team, and all necessary measurement has been taken to prevent these episodes to occur again. And we appreciate your taking the time to advise us of this inconvenience. Your feedback is very important to us.

We hope that you will consider staying at Grand Hotel Tien-Shan again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and good service.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Berlino, Germania
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I arrived here, it was an Emergency situation, without having booked in advance, at 01.00 am. They immediately took the advantage and told me that they had only rooms at 43.000 KZT (about 215 Euro)! I had no chance and I took the room. It took 10-15 minutes to have check in, and it was not by chance as it took also 10-15 minutes to have check out: exhausting!
The room was on the street and it was very noisy. Room basic, but with some really annoying matters. (1) The bed was very short. It was about 185/190 cm and I am 185. My feet were outside all night long. But (2) the worst was in the morning: the curtains were almost transparent and, as soon as it rose the sun, it entered totally into the room waking me up. Not nice. Pity: the hotel was fully renovated and they lost a chance to make it fully comfortable. Pity. I think I will not sleep there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Sanna,

On behalf of Grand Hotel Tien-Shan, kindly accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on the high standard of hospitality and professionalism.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience you have encountered. And I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of this inconvenience, which is the first step towards improvement of our services.

Taking your comments with full and serious attention, I would like to assure you we could not provide you standard rooms in the mid of April, due to the reason that April is one of the busiest months of the year and there were several exhibitions in Almaty city. Hope for your understanding.

We are sorry that you were disturbed with noise from outside of your room and felt uncomfortable during the stay. Please let us know next time details of your visit of Almaty and we shall provide you Superior Double rooms with bigger bed and heavy curtains with free upgrade.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to return to Grand Hotel Tien-Shan and I am very much looking forward to meeting you during your next visit to Almaty to present my apologies and assure you to do our utmost to ensure the full satisfaction of all our guests at all times.

Sales Manager
Olen
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My first trip to Almaty, arrived at 4.00 am, people were friendly, but the room was very basic and on the street site, traffic, trams, noise etc. prevented me from sleeping. I had to asked for a quite room facing the back. The bed was uncomfortable, thin pillows, carpet were stained and not really clean. Overall, very old fashioned. The room was small, old furniture, the bathroom also basic, on old sink with cracks, the shower was acceptable, but it took a while to get warm water. Once in a while the water temperature went down, when more people were taking a shower.
But the Spa is great.
Breakfast room: when using the chairs it was OK but on the coaches you were setting way to low at the table. I found the breakfast pretty basic. No fresh orange juice.
The people were genuinely friendly.
In terms of value for money, I would say, overpriced.

Room Tip: ask for the quiet room if you decide to stay int his hotel. And if you do, you have to use the Spa
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed February 17, 2013

One of the probably best options for a longterm stay for business in Almaty. Sure, not a posh place, but with a good location, clean facilities and attentive staff. I stayed for more then 6 months onsite and despite the fact that this whole experience is not exactly cheap i do not regret any spent dollar.

First and foremost, the place is safe. Almaty is the standard joint of a 1.5M inhabitant city....so usual criminality is around and you'd better not walk alone in the parks late. At the TS you are fine as there is abdundant CCTV and onsite security, so no reason to feel uncomfortable.

The rooms are functional allthough i do not consider them overly stylish or modern. Anyway as most of business people are rather looking for the "musts" (clean, good bed; good breakfast and reach to airport and center) you are at the right spot.

There are a restaurant and a cigar club/bar at the venue that both serve their purpose allthough i would recomment to explore the southern (to the hills) are for nice coffee shops and mid-priced restaurants, here again...not that fance but a good deal for longstayers (those unlikely want to blow their dough in Almaty, but at home...)

The SPA is worth for regular workout, but can be busy on weekends. During the week its usual quiet and during day basically dead - which i consider good to have a good 007-style swim in the pool with just the poollighning switched on before breakfast...

Last but not least to mention the GM running it, an original German hustler who is a fountain of local info both for business and pleasure.

One more thing that sets the place apart from most others is the absence of hookers at the place in the evening, which makes it also a good thing to meet with partners.

Room Tip: I would opt for the rooms looking to the yard, those are quiet, but miss the view to the mountains...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Alima B, Sales Manager at Grand Hotel Tien-Shan, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Clumb,

First of all, we would like to thank you very much indeed for your warm and positive comments and most importantly for selecting our hotel as your accommodations of choice when you visited Almaty for long term stay.

How wonderful to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We are glad to know that you felt safe in our hotel, this is what we believe is one of the most important things for a traveler.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the services of the hotel, your room and the restaurants. Our team strives indeed to make every single guest feel comfortable and satisfied and they will be thrilled to hear that they achieved their goal.

We are very much looking forward to your next visit to Almaty!

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed 1 night, november 2012 . Hotel is located near at the centre of Almaty. It is convinient for business and tourism. Breakfast was good, traditional European meal... Room were too small for me and furniture were too old. TV didn't work properly

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Monza, Italy
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel several times during my business trips to Almaty. The location of the hotel is convenient, the rooms are clean and comfortable, equipped with a mini bar, TV and A/C. The SPA is very nice and relaxing. The staff is not always efficient, but always very friendly.

The only awkward situation happened to me with a very persisting hotel porter who after insisting to bring my luggage to the room, refused to leave till I gave him a tip, which was not so easy since I had just arrived and did not have local money yet, also it was at 3 am in the morning, while I was barely standing on my feet after the 10 hour flight. So for a sake of serenity, have some change ready.

Nevertheless, I like this hotel, but its real disadvantage is the price, that even having in mind that the average hotel prices in Almaty are high, is way overpriced.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for just over a week. My husband for work and I for leisure. We really enjoyed our stay. We arrived in the middle of the night and the receptionist was very helpful and friendly. During our stay he was very keen to give us tips about what to do. He liked to steer us to the more western sites, but we enjoyed the market, the parks, etc. The spa is luxurious, spacious pool and very under-used, a good way to relax at the end of the day. The breakfasts were good, but after a few days I was just looking for some good bread, but this is me.
The location was wonderful. It is opposite a very green area that links several larger gardens through a walkway. Plenty of benches to soak up the autumn sun. We felt safe to walk around at night and went to the theatre several times, saw two great ballets and the tickets were very cheap. So, yes, we can recommend the hotel, its service and location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple